Used 2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews

Used New Beetle for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...23

Pros
Cons
3.38 out of 5 stars

Never ever again will I buy a VW (any)

davemoon22, 01/21/2012
GLX 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

1st Beelte had a bunch of issues (a/c, batteries would never last over a few months, oil leaking - had to do a major repair, then sold it). Second, a 2001 with 70k, has had more issues than I can possibly recall. I must have spent over 7k withing a 9 month period. Ridiculous. The major problem I have is with the dealerships. They'll diagnose something is wrong, you get that done, the car still has the same issue and then they will tell you "Oh, well, then, it must be something else" Replace driver's seatbelt buckle, both windows regulators, cam shaft adjuster, turn signal relay, inner tie rods, valve cover gasket, pcv hose, door latch and list goes on: all major $$$ repairs.

4.88 out of 5 stars

Fun and economical

Dan & Karen, 09/03/2005
GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

We bought our 2001 Beetle GLS 1.8L Turbo Hatchback a year ago and have had no problems with it, whatsoever. It's not as comfortable as a Cadillac but it's still comfortable, even on long trips. It's excellent on fuel, fast, and fun to drive (a modern and improved version of the classic Beetle). We enjoy waving to other Beetle owners on the road (sort of a cult thing). We also have two large artificial daisies in the vase on the dashboard which complement the car. Overall, we highly recommend this car for those who want something different, economical, and fun to drive.

3 out of 5 stars

VW Not Such an Honorable Manufacturer

Jon, 03/20/2008
GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

It seems like shop mechanics are a thing of the past. Nowadays they plug the car into a computer for $200. It's a great car, but the temp light has started to flash on and off. Well we took it in to get looked at and were told in a bright tone that we'd need to get the engine replaced for $8000. When asked why. Because you're loosing oil pressure? Oh whats causing that? Hmm.. Don't know.. Can you find out? Yes but then we'd have to get dirty and open the engine up. That'll cost you $4000. So you think the engine is stuffed? It might be, or it might last 10 years, can't tell. I don't know whose to blame! VW, VW dealers or the car. I think I'll buy a horse. I will never buy a VW again!

4.5 out of 5 stars

2001 VW Beetle GLS TDI

Green Bean, 07/23/2002
GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Great little car. Gas mileage is unbelievable! 45+ MPG!

2.13 out of 5 stars

Never buy volkswagen again

Tina, 10/31/2009
GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I had so many problems with my car this year alone. Anything that could have gone wrong with it it did. I had to change the whole transmission in early january, then in the summer i had to change alternator alternator belt speed sensors and connector and battery. I will never buy a used vw or any vw ever again. All my expenses were more that $3000

12345...23