Used 2014 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews - 27 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Lots of get up and go!
By Susan M.

2014 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan w/Connectivity (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Peppy little car, handles very well. Mileage is great! But gas tank only holds 12.5 gallons! I bought it to run around town in and have never had a problem with it! Just hit 60k miles! Maintenance is easy, just replaced brakes, pads, and tires!

Manual Transmission Broken at 64K miles
By Disappointed

2014 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

VW quality is gone. Very cheaply made. Had software update and mileage has gone down. Windows will stop working because of a cheap plastic pin and cost $380 to fix. Had to replace radio under 30K miles - lots of dots on the screen. Had to replace windshield wiper motor at 34K miles (out of warranty) VW split cost to fix. Cup holder will fall through as tabs are too short to hold holder in place. Now at 64K miles heard clanking while driving and am told I need a new transmission at 64K miles! Waiting to hear if VW will extend warranty to fix. Very disappointed in this car!

Power house!
By Steven G

2014 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE PZEV 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Bought this car used 2 years ago from rental car company with 50k on it. Because I like speed I got the car tuned with apr stage 1 with a downpipe, and let me tell you WOW. 28mpg city and 0-60 maybe in the low 6s I beat tuned focus STs all the time. Stock this car performance wise beats most others in its class with mpg to power in consideration. But after the tune it is no contest. The ride is good not great for cornering really fast but I'd rather not feel every crack anyways. Seats are comfortable, taken the car on many 3+ hour trips and no issues. Although the interior quality is a bit lacking.

Great car with some drawbacks
By Brian C

2014 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This was a former lease car with less than 2,000 miles when I bought it. I liked the fact that it didn't have a lot of bells and whistles (I test drove a 2015 and it had a lot of features I didn't need; heated seats, keyless entry, etc.). This one starts with a key and has no superfluous buttons on the steering wheel. Nice, clean efficient design inside and out. I also like the solid feel when I close the doors. Overall I like it, but it has flaws. Being an automatic and not the turbo model it accelerates like a slug. The stiff suspension is a plus and minus; it has a solid feel but you feel every bump in the road. The steering is a bit loose as low speeds but very nimble at higher speeds. On the whole I'm happy with the car.

UPDATE 2014 VW Jetta SE-Basic is what VW does best
By Andrew Cherouvis

2014 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

After reviewing a variety of cars, the Jetta appealed to me . The Jetta can be considered austere in many regards. The interior is basic, with a clutter free dashboard. This is what VW does best. I love how clean the interior dashboard is free of the over techno interiors found in many cars. The front seats are extremely comfortable with plenty of room in the rear. The trunk is very large with the ability to drop the back seats for added storage. Driving the Jetta with the 1.8 Liter turbo with the manual 5 spd is where the Jetta shines. The shifter has short throws between gears and has a great feel to it. The car handles great, with an adequate suspension for daily driving. My gas mileage averages between 37-41MPG. The Jetta is a very solid and safe car. I also am very happy with base stereo.

I put on 40k miles on my Jetta. I still love my Jetta. Living in NH, the Jetta has been a great winter car. Especially with Toyo Celsius tires, the Jetta is just as good as any AWD car I have had. I have had no issues with the Jetta other than the heater fan being replaced under warranty. The seats are very comfortable for long trips, and the car gets great gas mileage on regular gas. I've been averaging between city and hwy 36MPG with hwy mileage per gallon at 42 MPG. The outside finish on the Jetta has held up .