Used 2012 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel Consumer Reviews - 31 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Catch a Star...
By MTHOM

2012 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan w/Premium (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Diesels produce great torque, seemingly indifferent to payload, notably maintaining cruising speeds on California's I-5 Grapevine mountain section to within a micron of set point. Consistently maintains high 40's mpg in urban settings, lower 50's at posted legal speeds, including Utah 80mph section of I-80. Smooth riding with the typical firm VW suspension. A very roomy and comfortable cabin, front and back.

Awesome commuter car!!
By Happy Camper

2012 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan w/Premium, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Bought the car for commuting. 150 miles a day, 30 miles back roads and 120 miles Interstate. I do not drive this car gently, 75/85mph depending on the traffic flow on the interstate. Summer 42-45MPG, Winter 39-42MPG. I do run winter tires on the car in the winter and summer tires in the summer. I have seen 50MPG keeping the speed below 70mph, and I have seen 60MPG on country roads doing less then 60mph. I have the 6 speed manual transmission, Fender stereo with navigation. Now the car has 100,000 miles on it and is still running strong! I have changed the Oil, oil/air filters and tires, that is it. Now it's time for new rear brakes and a new battery, that's it. For $25,000 I think it has been a awesome car!!

Awesome commuter car!!
By Happy Camper

This car is a lemon. STAY AWAY!!
By MS125

2012 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

VW should be ashamed of their refusal to acknowledge the intercooler problem on this car. After I passed 65k miles, moisture got inside during cold weather, and it cracked, resulting in a pretty useless engine. VW said its not covered by warranty, but clearly, given the number of people who've experienced the same issue, it's obviously a design flaw. Stay away!!!

This car is a LEMON. Stay away!!
By dirtmcgirt718

2012 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I got it used with 7k miles on it. After I ran the odometer up to 65k miles, I ran into the same intercooler problem other people have. The intercooler traps moisture in cold weather, and after the temperature rises, it sucks water into the engine, and the lights on the dashboard go haywire. The electronics are also horrible. I've burned out countless lightbulbs, and apparently, after less than 3 years, and 65k total miles, my wiring harness has a short and needs replacement.

VW refuses to believe there's anything wrong with the car, but clearly, I've read about similar problems before.

Gas mileage.

Fix electrical and intercooler problems. A car this new, and driven mostly on the highway with such serious issues is a lemon, and a disgrace. Back to Toyota...