Used 2011 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen Consumer Reviews - 54 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2011 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen

View reviews for a specific Jetta SportWagen model:

Full pump issue
By kidtaxi1

2011 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I have 66,220 miles on my car and the fuel pump went out.
The vehicle started loosing power and when we came to a stop it died and wouldn't start again.
The warranty runs out at 30k and if they would have worked with me it was going to cost $2100.
The dealership told me that pieces of metal were seen and would need to do a full system flush also.

I love the mileage I get on a tank of diesel.

Better full pumps with longer warranties on them

What a family car should be
By jku72

2011 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

We've had our wagon for 1.5 years, and have logged 47K miles, in harsh Maine environments of rough gravel roads, very rough paved roads, salty winter roads, ice, mud, and one cross country and back trip.
Excellent in snow, haven't crashed it yet.
I've driven it through 12" of snow, plowing a path.
The heavy diesel right over the wheels makes it better than a 4x4 on ice, with proper tires.

Loaded w/family & gear, at 80, mileage is 38.
70 it's 46.
65 it's 49.
55 it's 51.

Everyone likes to drive, or ride in this car.

Nothing on the market compares.
Buy one.

The engine. It's why I bought the car. Tons-o-torque, and 50 mpg. The transmission. It actually downshifts when you tell it to, unlike other cars that merely consider your shifting a suggestion. The interior, forces you to be pretentious, and want to wear leather pants and turtle neck sweaters. I don't miss flannel. The radio, it's just awesome. Junked my home stereo, now at parties I just open all the doors and blast away. It's black, but not Johnny Cash black. Black like Sprokket, Eric Hartmann, and Dr. Strangelove. Dude, heated seats = happy wife. Happy wife, happy life. Lots of room for hauling 3 females(& mine) worth of stuff. No more dorky roof boxes for me.

Make the fuel filler big enough to fit fuel pumps, like every other diesel ever produced. Make rightmost climate control dial readable. I can only read it by bending way down and squinting, wish causes me to crash into things, so I just guess and hope for the best. Or, make the wife set it. For roads in Maine, the 55 series 16" tires are terrible. Make a Maine option where you make it so 15 inch rims with more tire sidewall can be used. Ruined three tires and one rim the first year. Biolines and 205-55-16 tires are expensive. I bet they are great in Los Angeles or other places with nice roads. Turbo lag & sudden surge of power chirps the tires un-necessarily unless you're careful

Beware of very expensive 40K service
By cheapcar2012

2011 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

The MPG really drops if driving above 75mph.
40K service includes DSG transmission fluid drain, and it costs $$$$.

Back seat tight for 3 adults. Impossible for 2 Adults+baby seat.

Love it....so far
By runnerguy45

2011 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Really like this car. 43,000 miles in ten months. I love this car but I do admit the fuel pump problem scares me, VW needs to put its buyers at ease by covering this issue. Knock on wood this car has been great. I averahe 44 mpg. 48 on highway.

Fuel mileage, fun to drive,classy look.

Longer warranty. Bit of a blind spot.

Have enjoyed every minute!
By fpl1972

2011 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

We've just put over 10K on our 2011 diesel wagon and it has been awesome!
We routinely average 40+ on the highway and even through mountains with the car loaded with 2 adults a dog and all the accompanying crap!
The seats are extremely comfortable and all the controls are easily accessible and fuctional.
The only grib I have is that the car gets door dings and scratches SO easily!
I've had cars in the past that have been hit with a shopping cart and nothing...maybe a tiny scratch.
This car, you have a dent AND a scratch.
Just be careful...that's all I'm sayin'!
Will see how it handles in the mountain snow next weekend and we are heading to Mt. Bachelor in Oregon!

Touchscreen stereo, panorama sun roof, great space

Stiffer or more resiliant side panels and paint. Chips and dents way too easily.