Used 2010 Volkswagen GTI Consumer Reviews

Used GTI for Sale
Select your model:
12345...14

Pros
Cons
5 out of 5 stars

Major Improvement From MK IV

Jorge F., 12/20/2009
2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

When I saw the new 2010 GTI online, I fell in love. For the first time, the outside of the GTI is as beautiful as the interior and driving experience. I traded in my 2005 GTI and was amazed at the changes. The manual transmission is smoother, the car feels "tighter," and the electronic upgrades like the I-pod charger and touch-screen radio blew me away. I also can feel the extra 20 HP on this model, and the acceleration and pull is as fun as ever.

Look elsewhere

Patrick, 01/08/2016
4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

A sporty hatchback that gets 35mpg! What's not to love? In theory this car is fantastic and I've heard nothing but good things before buying. That VW reliability issue was always in the back of my head but never stopped me from buying. I bought it used for $17,500 in December of 2014 with 24,000miles. The first month was by far the best (Honeymoon phase) and even though Boston had record breaking snow i never had a problem even with all season tires. Soon, after 1500 miles the water pump went (under warranty) and I was stranded an hour away from home late at night. With all the potholes here in Boston I blew out three tires and dented a wheel in the course of three months. As a result of poor road conditions,my front suspension took a beating,ball joints and sway bar end links had to be replaced. Then in October with about 43000miles two coil packs blew and have since continued to randomly go. VW techs have said nothing is wrong with my car. Then in December of 2015 a fuse melted and severely damaged my fuse box (wish the car would have burnt to the ground) Now that it's been just over a year, my water pump went out again, 47,000miles (no longer under warranty). Unfortunately I'll have to shoot myself in the foot, take the loss of a few thousand and buy another car. Maybe a Subaru WRX/STI or more likely the new Ford Focus RS. Between the uncomfortable front seats, poor pedal feel and all of the reliability issues the GTI is not worth the hassle, at least not here in Boston.

2 out of 5 stars
4 out of 5 stars
2 out of 5 stars
4.75 out of 5 stars

the hot hatch lives again

volsfan0911, 11/11/2009
PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Had for 1 week now. Although VW has a bad rap for reliability, so far, so good. Build quality is outstanding both inside and out. 2.0L turbo 4 banger is a beautiful motor - torque band starts right off idle practically and pulls cleanly to 6K. Shifter, clutch, steering, seats, real handbrake (a lever, not a stupid foot pedal) - all the drivers controls are excellent. No torque steer, XDS genuinely helpful. Not as fast as a MS3 but much more composed and refined. My only car and is a GREAT commuter IMHO. Reasonable mileage, comfy enough for road trips yet an absolute blast to hit backroads on. Feels much quicker than the numbers suggest. And it's FAST - 100 mph comes up quickly!

What a Hottie!

jlGolden, 11/26/2009
4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

After one test drive, I was won over by the mechanical refinement and supple, elegant interior. It makes competitors (I will not name names here) feel like cheap, crude toys. The GTI offers a satisfying balance of zip & zoom, price, comfort, and luxury.

Major upgrade from MK5

Eddie, 11/23/2009
PZEV 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Let me start by saying that I was a previous 2006 MK5 GTI owner who felt that it was time to get into a new one. My MK5 was surprisingly reliable to the 50k miles that I traded it in at. No major mechanical issues at all. So I felt confident in purchasing a 2010 MK6 GTI. This car is fantastic all around. My previous GTI was pretty basic (manual tranny, cloth interior, etc..), so this time around I opted for the awesome DSG tranny and the "autobahn package" which added heated leather seats, awesome 18" wheels, and a superb 300w dynaudio stereo system w/ iPod interface. These options jacked the price to 30k, but it is well worth it IMO. This VW is hands down a better car than the Audi A3.

12345...14