Used 2010 Volkswagen GTI Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used GTI for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons
4.25 out of 5 stars

Entry level luxury Hatchback

auto-enthusiast, 11/07/2010
4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have had this car for 7 months and it's a capable daily commuter. Ride is comfy and balanced. 200 hp is not all that overwhelming but it is enough to get you in trouble if you don't watch it. The interior design is clean and feel luxurious like the Audi's. The cargo space is plenty and the rear passenger leg room is excellent. The car is fun to drive and it gets a very good gas mileage. I drive 70% freeway and I average 28mpg. The only mechanical problem I have had is the rear window washer nozzle drip. I am not sure if VW has come up with a permanent fix for this because the first repair didn't get rid of the problem.

4.88 out of 5 stars

Great value, no peers

Seth, 11/16/2010
4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I was looking for a car to replace my 2000 Acura RL. I wanted a car that was fun to drive above all else, but also one that was a good daily driver and fit my active lifestyle. I considered the following vehicles: Acura TSX, BMW 3 series, Audi A4, Mazdaspeed 3, VW CC and GTI, and Subaru WRX and STi. In the end the GTI ended up winning. It is, IMO, the best combination of fun to drive and nice to live with for the money. This car puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. If you are looking for a car to love, not just drive, I highly recommend it. I love mine. My wife and I did a 3700 mile road trip in it, and it was flawless.

Best VW to the date

mike475, 06/18/2011
PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Owners since Dec 2009 of 4dr DSG GTI + Autobahn Package (aka leather seats and moonroof). It is great car all around. Quality is top noch (I guess no surprise here). Even MKV Jetta it looks like the car was made by different company. I love about everything about the car, so does my wife.

The Decathlon Athlete of Cars

Bob Bohnenstiel, 09/29/2018
PZEV 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Great all around car. Engine electronic can be problematic. VW is difficult to deal with on what I consider manufacturing faults. When everything is running right it’s a great car.

Best All-Around Car For The Enthusiast

Ian, 02/20/2019
2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I bought a higher mileage 2010 MK6 GTI with 82,000 miles 2 years ago. I was initially concerned about perceived hit or miss VW/Audi reliability issues. But I was so impressed by the test drive that I went for it and traded in my beloved 2008 MINI Cooper S. Glad to report that 24,000 miles later I've yet to have a single issue with the GTI. Unbelievable considering the higher mileage. Just regular preventative maintenance such as oil changes, spark plugs and brake pads/rotors. Engine power was decently stout and pairs great with the DSG transmission. I patiently waited a year to upgrade the power with an APR stage 1 tune. HP/torque improved from a decent 200 hp/207 lbs/ft to an APR claimed 260 hp/317 lbs/ft. It feels it as the GTI went from spritely to downright fast (for a FWD hatchback). Let's just say finding yourself at 135 mph is far too easy and leave it at that. Interior build quality is Audi-like with soft touch materials and thoughtful design. Even the headliner, commonly ignored by many car companies, is a high grade textured dark grey fabric not unlike what you'd find in an Audi or Porsche. Seats are very comfortable and are infinitely adjustable. Carpeting is thick and plush and sound deadening is good. Engine is silky smooth and makes very un-like 4-cyl sounds. It's quiet when driven around town but makes a pleasant pipe organ-like sound under hard acceleration. I average about 26 city/32 hwy and 28 mpg overall; I drive more city than hwy. Highly recommended car.