Used 2013 Volkswagen Golf Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used Golf for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons
4.63 out of 5 stars

3K mi in - 2 months

j33ie, 11/30/2012
2.0L TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I did my homework to get my wife an economical car that would be an upgrade to her horrid corolla. Went with the TDI due to its track history. Fuel economy is better than EPA estimates. Driving it is smooth, fun and flawless. My wife loves to push its acceleration abilities. Handles brilliantly. Brakes are solid. The displays are great and intuitive. Bluetooth audio is pretty sweet as well -they don't advertise that feature. I like driving it more than my Saab 9-3 2.0T except for the fact that it is red. This car beats many Audi's in price and comfort (same maker, I know). Overall, the best car I have owned and one of the few I would buy new due to its high resale value.

EPA Has Neutered this Car

bigal11, 02/05/2013
2.0L TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Wonderful build quality, ride, and handling. Uses 25% more fuel than my '01. About the same MPG's as my kids' '08 Civic and '12 Elantra GT, which use 15% cheaper fuel. DSG is much nicer than anticipated for a guy who usually only buys manuals, but I don't relish the thought of the very expensive tranny fluid change at 40K miles, notably just outside the free factory service interval. This car is pricey, no doubt. You pay for the structural rigidity and interior finish quality. Fr a long term car it is worth it. Do not trust stated invoice. I paid fifteen hundred under, or twenty five thousand flat after two other dealers dropped out of the bidding. The invoice is well padded from factory.

Great Car

beefoe, 07/15/2013
2.0L TDI 4dr Hatchback w/Tech Package (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Purchased this car four months ago and have about 12,000 miles on it. Very enjoyable to drive and car has exceeded nearly all expectations. Don't be fooled by the 140 HP rating. The diesel engine is super torquey and it has loads of power when you need it. Won't blow anyone off the line but has great pickup through the 40-80 mph which makes highway passing very easy. Handling is excellent and the car is great fun to drive. My wife has an Audi A4 and prefers the Golf. Interior design is good, but I wish they'd offer a leather seat option. But I guess if they did, it would canibalize audi a3 sales.

Took a risk.

bbbb1983, 06/04/2013
2.0L TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I came from a Subaru Legacy that was averaging 20mpg. I took a risk and went to my local VW dealer and test drove a number of vehicles. I was hesitant to purchase a diesel, but once I drove the TDi I was hooked. I do a lot of highway driving and this car rides like a dream. On top of that I average 49 mpg. I can creep up to 51 mpg if I don't use AC. City driving it ll hold consistently at 36.5 mpg. My insurance company even gave me a substantial discount for coverage because of the economy of this car.

5 out of 5 stars

Golf TDI (DSG auto)

thedude12, 10/26/2013
2.0L TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I purchased this car strictly for fuel savings and putting a lots of miles. The car far surpasses the rated 30mpg/city, I get routinely over 35mpg city. This is a heck of a car, well built, quiet and quick, very well equipped as well. I got the 3 year free maintenance. and a 0% finance for up to 72 months through Volkswagen financing. I also got the car for $500 below invoice so I know I scored. I am currently saving about $150.month just on gas alone(diesel), I am doing over 1000 miles/month and like I said the savings are significant.

4.88 out of 5 stars

2013 Volkswagen Golf TDI w/ DSG automatic

dak971, 02/18/2014
2.0L TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I just purchased the vehicle and love it! The car is extremely fun to drive. One of the main reasons was the TDI option providing over 42+ MPG which is just phenom. I was used to getting about 17Mpg-23Mpg at best in a previous vehicle. Time to go more economical and practical. The car is 4 doors and White. Looks just sweet and awesome. Really a fun car and there are so many pluses about this model.

4.75 out of 5 stars

Room for the Linebacker

rbthatcherjr, 04/03/2014
2.0L TDI 4dr Hatchback w/Sunroof, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I purchased this VW Golf TDI in Jacksonville, FL in May 2013 after driving it and inspecting it on a hydraulic rack in dealer's garage. It drives exceptionally well as it exudes this rock-solid feel of German build-quality as well as the odd diesel clatter. The comforts are spartan, but there is more than enough head and leg room for me and my friends. After driving it 11k and experiencing the good dealer support for the car at Osteen VW, I would highly recommend the VW Golf TDI based upon its performance, price, and apparent quality.

4.25 out of 5 stars

Does What You Need

bigal11, 11/01/2014
2.0L TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

34K miles. I love the agility and solid planted feel of this car. Made in Munich, much more substantial feel than my '12 Jetta. Great power delivery. Average 40mpg. Gets 48 @65, 39 @ 80, 36 in town. Prefer these cloth seats to Jetta's "pleather". I have little to complain about except this DSG tranny. My wife thinks it is unsafe, and I can't argue much. There's a 1-2 second lag before anything happens at takeoff which really throws your timing off compared to anything else you've driven. Also, Beware!! the $500+ tranny service every 40k miles. I really regret this purchase and would gladly trade it for the 6sp.

4.38 out of 5 stars

Extremely Reliable

David Kay, 03/31/2015
2.0L TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I own a 2013 Golf TDI. Bought it in Jan. 2014 with 9,000 miles. It's now March 2015. I have put about 13,000 miles on it in that time. Not one service call. Not one single issue. Not one broken part. Not one headache. Not one single problem. (i sure hope I don't jinx myself). The car just works and goes and goes. The car is well built. Super quality and tremendous build quality. Not one single nightmare, not one single issue. Nothing. The car just works. Its such a pleasure to drive. I'm 6'1 about 250lbs and was considering on bumping up to the Touareg TDI , but I am so scared because this car just doesn't have any issues. Super happy with this vehicle. Highly recommend.

4 out of 5 stars

Everything was going OK until.....

jemartin928@gmail.com, 05/17/2016
2.0L TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I really liked this car, aside from some minor annoyances - silver tab on vent falling off and disappearing, knob to adjust mirror breaking off. Until I had a big issue that pretty much led to me having to get rid of it. I noticed in February of this year that my car had condensation on the insides of the windows... I was perplexed how there was moisture inside my car, but we had some rainy days so I attributed it to that. Fast forward to a weekend when my boyfriend tells me my car smells funny. I agreed it did smell a little, but blamed it on my pugs etc. Arriving at our destination he starts trying to find the source, upon lifting up my floor mats he finds that the right side floor boards are SOAKED. I'm in shock, thinking it was from recently getting my car detailed etc. Come to find out over the next two weeks and two trips to VW my sunroof drains are directing water - not outside my car - but directly into my car. My car started smelling like a disgusting swamp. The first trip they say they cleared them should be good - but they can't help me get the water out that is now pooling in half my car. "they don't do that". I take it to a detailer who tells me the whole carpet needs to be pulled out and replaced. I'll spare you the rest of this story but it's a smelly nightmare. Ultimately I get a new carpet and it still has a smell - I realize - now there is some water showing up under my spare tire, under the trunk. No clue where this is coming from. VW says the drains are clear. Needless to say I had this car for 3 years and just traded it in this weekend, it's given me so much anxiety in the last few months. VW states they cleared the drains on my 40K mileage per the handbook - but it wasn't on my print out... GET YOUR SUNROOF DRAINS CHECKED. This could happen to you!

51050