Used 1997 Volkswagen Golf Consumer Reviews - 38 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Volkswagen Golf Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

Great car!
By Emelio

1997 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback

The millage on my manual transmission1997 VW Golf GL odometer, reads 181,377...I bought it used from a dealer in 1999 ,it had 36,000 miles. During the years it needed little repair, mainly maintenance such as changing the ignition coil once, the PCV valve and the breather house; the battery and the windshield wipers were replaced under normal maintenance .Oil change every 3000 miles.Now I change it every 4000 miles.It gave me many years of pleasant rides.Last year I charged the AC with cooling agent since I drove for years without AC! Recently I replaced its ignition switch, struts and suspension springs, lower support arm assy's and sway bar links then I installed new door handles and a new Sony 5100BT radio. It did not cost that much.I just cannot part with it ,it brings back too many memories.I drive it to work during the weekdays and will have the engine rebuilt when time comes.It's been a great car for me...

Great first car
By vw_574

1997 Volkswagen Golf K2 4dr Hatchback

I bought this car with 63,000 miles on it in May of 2011 and I had never driven a manual car before then. This car is easy to leave how to drive manual, and is very fun to drive because it hugs corners. Although it does lack power, it is still a great car and if you can find one with low miles I would highly recommend buying one for yourself.

Manual Transmission, Low, European Styling, Hard to find in good condition.

More Power, Toque, Upgrade Motor if possible, upgrade clutch

Wow...
By atovar

1997 Volkswagen Golf GL 2dr Hatchback

While this is not the most appealing car it has been incredibly reliable. 15 years old and the only thing I've had to fix since acquiring it 6 years ago was a oil pressure sending unit for $60! My 2001 Jetta was a disaster of a car...constantly breaking down. The VW's of the 1990's are amazingly reliable vehicles.

First Car
By cao12

1997 Volkswagen Golf GL 2dr Hatchback

This was (and still is) my first car that I got in high school. I got it with 68,000 miles in 07 and have put on about 30,000 since then. Even with only 4 cylinders I have no problems getting up to speed on the highway and passing people. The gas mileage is ok around town but between 50-75 it really rocks. The interior was cheaply made, and there are a lot of cheap plastic pieces, but at 15 years old I'm not surprised that most of it is deteriorating. The biggest problem I had was with an intermittent speedometer, but I plan on running this car into the ground. If you can find one, you will not be disappointed.

Efficient transportation
By Anonymous

1997 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback

I inherited this car with 31,000 miles on it, in practically mint condition. Aside from precautionary maintenance,new belts,replace brake fluid,etc , the car has performed perfectly. I now have 41,000 miles on it.The car gets about 30-35 mpg, has good acceleration on the highway, and cruises easily at 70 mph. Plenty of space inside.

Hatchback versatility, fun to drive factor, smooth 5 speed manual transmission, gas mileage,sun roof.

Seat adjustment knobs came off, the glove compartment is too small.