Used 2000 Toyota Tundra Extended Cab Consumer Reviews - 95 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Toyota Tundra Extended Cab Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Best truck ever made/Safest
By Kyle

2000 Toyota Tundra Extended Cab Limited 4dr Extended Cab SB

My dad bought this before I was one. I totaled it. This truck made it 300k miles with no problems. Just normal maintenance, it saved my life. I flew 100 ft into a pile of rocks and twisted the truck and eventually nose dived into a creek. Came out with fractured wrist. Any other vehicle of this year, I'd be 6 feet under.

Driven almost daily since Dec. 1999
By lostarchangel

2000 Toyota Tundra Extended Cab SR5 V8 4dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck (a 2000 Tundra SR5 V8) new in December, 1999 and have driven it almost daily ever since.
The only problems I've had with it are a bad oxygen sensor that went out about 7 years ago and the A/C has gone out twice.
I replaced the timing belt at about 120,000 miles and have put about 170,000 miles on the truck since I bought it new.
This truck was used on a small farm and often hauled heavy loads - sometimes exceeding its rated specs, without a problem. Sometimes it was called upon to tow a two-horse trailer for short trips too.
After all these years though, it is still my favorite vehicle to drive, and I prefer it to driving my 2012 Kia Optima.
I'll never sell it.

One of a Kind
By atomicalex7

2000 Toyota Tundra Extended Cab SR5 V8 4dr Extended Cab SB

After 5 months of experience driving this truck, I can truly say it runs better than most new cars today.
There is plenty of effortless power that comes through the 4.7 liter engine, however an extra gear would be helpful when accelerating up an onramp while towing.
Driving the truck can be wiggly on very bumpy roads, however a majority of the time it just floats down the road.
While stopping quickly from a high rate of speed, there is a noticeable shake coming from the pedal, but that is a common problem.
Overall it is a very powerful and nice riding truck, and it is much safer than other trucks from the year 2000.

The original owner bought this as a SR5 and turned it into a Limited with leather seats and all the other goodies. I love how Toyota put the rear seat door handles in the correct place, and not in the door jamb.

Larger rear seat, more gears in the tranny (very smooth shifting as is), seatbelts that retract easier, and brighter headlights (fog lights are brighter than head lights. More MPG than 14 city and 16 Highway

What a great truck!
By natx

2000 Toyota Tundra Extended Cab SR5 V8 4dr Extended Cab SB

Bought in 2004. 68,000 mi.
Now 160,000 mi. Contemplated trading for '07 Tundra, but couldn't. Love it too much, plus its paid for. Drives like a Camry. Comfortable. Quite too. Only had to replace radiator and valve cover gaskets. No other issues. Only gripe is the front brake rotors warping every year. I can switch out the front rotors in 30 minutes I've done it so often. Interior has held up very well. Known to have transmission issues with OD gear.
I never tow heavy loads like my 30' RV in OD, but I tow a 12' cargo trailer full of tools and sometimes cabinets all the time in OD. No issues so far. Needs paint job, but that's my fault. Never once washed or waxed it.

Quite and comfortable ride. Plenty of cup holders. Adequate power to tow 30' RV trailer. Can't even tell I'm towing my 12' cargo trailer. Cockpit layout is nice.

Do the brake upgrade procedure and add some extra tie down points in the bed.

great truck!!
By skylerlynn

2000 Toyota Tundra Extended Cab Limited 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

My dad gave be the truck when I went to college in Virginia. It's been great! I drive there and home 4 times a year. Thats 1679 miles from Wyoming to VA!! 25 1/2 hours and it's still running great! I love it. I also pull the horses, not to school but locally. I would definitely buy it again.