Used 2003 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab Consumer Reviews

$9,850

Used Tacoma for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Wonderful small truck

JimiDGreek, 07/24/2004

I bought my Tacoma last year and I love it! Great on gas,I average 28mpg. Good ride,drives nice. A/C is ice cold. Cab is a little tight for me,I'm 5`10. No problems at all with it. I would buy another for sure. Next time I'm getting an extra cab. I feel it's a better value than a Ranger or S-10.

The little engine that could

ren, 03/04/2005

Well, I have to say that this little truck is great for its size. Off road and this little guy can do it ok. I wish it had about 10-15 more ponies, but you cant have everything right. For the money this truck is great. It's reliable and its gets me from A to B. I wish I had an extended cab for more room but I manage in this one. Regular maintenance is good and easy. There is a weird creak or rattle in the dash at times. Wish it had a higher resale. Overall, not a bad little workhorse.

Dont Pass this one up!

Super-Steve, 01/23/2003

I gave up a Chevrolet to drive this. I only regret not doing it sooner. This is the best vehicle I have ever owned. Its a 4 cylinder that has similar performance to a V-6 Mustang. Don't believe me, go race one! The ride is very solid and it has no squeaks or rattles. I paid a higher price for it, that other trucks of the same size, but option for option it really cost about the same. Toyota only builds what it needs, so therefore you will not find a "stripped down" Toyota on the lot unless they were special ordered for fleet purposes. The bottom line.... pure quality!

2003 Tacoma

fixandrepair, 08/09/2004

I had '86 Toy P/u and loved it but needed more work so bought a new Tacoma with just the basics. I own (have ownd) many Toyotas and they are low maint/reliable. BUT noticed this is the first one not built in Japan, but in TENN, and I can tell the diff in quality.! Windows loose/rattle, creeking sound in dash, bed liner coming "unglued", paint bubbling up both sides on door at bottom. Only complaining because I love my old TOY and still have a 4rnr I'm happy with. I like my Tacoma (gave it a hi rating) but it could have been built better.

long time toyota owner

altoona, 10/30/2004

Over all it is ok for the money. Drive train is very noisy at slow speeds or when climbing hills. I have owned toyota trucks for many years and would not even consider any other type of maker. I would like to have had a clock somewhere on the dash.

I'll always buy Toyota.

Americayay, 03/15/2008

I get amazing gas mileage for a truck. I adore this truck. It's cute and incredibly reliable. The only problems I have ever had have been normal car maintenance problems (battery, tires, brakes, etc.) I also threw it out of alignment jumping train tracks at 16. Other than that, I'm pretty sure it's powered by a 40 watt lightbulb. Absolutely zero get up and go. ZERO. Clocked it at 0 - 60 in 27 seconds. I am NOT exaggerating. The cab is very cramped. I did not know my husband when I chose the truck and didn't realize I would one day marry a 6' 4" 300 pound guy. It's awful and painful to sleep in this truck. Storage space is zero. Overall, this is a wonderful truck. Particularly as a 2nd car.

I'll Own a Toyota Truck For the Rest of My Life!

Jennifer G, 05/26/2018
2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my first, brand new Toyota Pick-Up truck in 1987. Back then, it didn't have a model name. It was just a Toyota pick-up. It lasted me 16 years and 316,000 miles. The engine was still strong, but it started costing me too much on maintenance for other things that were wearing down. I was so happy with my old truck, I honestly didn't want to get rid of it, but it was dying a slow death and beginning to leave me stranded everywhere. In 2003, I wanted nothing else but another Toyota truck. So I bought a 2003 Toyota Tacoma. 15 years and 197,000 miles later, this truck is running like a champ with no signs of quitting on me. Everything is running strong, I've had no mechanical problems, I keep up on all regular maintenance, and I absolutely LOVE this truck. I'm only sad that this will be the last manual truck I'll ever own since manual vehicles are becoming obsolete. But I LOVE manual trucks. I've already decided that my next truck, which will be no time soon, will be a Toyota Pre-Runner because I don't see myself in anything else but Toyota trucks.

does very well

Larry, 03/10/2016
2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

It has served me very well

Good truck, a few problems

jimwhoboughtatruck, 12/26/2002

This truck has 2500 miles on it now, and I have noticed a few problems. The steering wheel is in the way of the clock, and I have to lean over to see it. About half the time, the truck takes two tries to start. I have no idea why a brand new vehicle would not start on the first try. Since I bought the truck, a few rattles have developed in the interior. One is the cover for the passenger side airbag on the dashboard rattling. I haven't tracked down the other rattle yet. The clutch petal just started squeaking every time I press it down.

Lots of fun If you don't mind a toy

upgraded, 01/06/2003

fun to drive for about 1 hour.... looks great truck... always gets the looks....good speed for the power plant...

51050