Used 2002 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews - 150 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

2002 Toyota Tacoma is Garbage !!!!!! Stay away.
By Ben

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

So I buy a used Tacoma at 140,000 miles - 2002. The moment I drive this Tacoma home after purchase the CEL goes off. ??? So I go to Auto Zone and it throws the dreaded PO171 lean bank code. So I buy a MAF sensor ( $75.00 )and nothing...code still on. Also noticed that my MPG was awful, getting around 13 mpg for a 18.5 gallon tank. So next I try the 2 Oxygen sensors upstream and downstream ($150) and still nothing, so I'm now thinking this tacoma truck is indeed a [non-permissible content removed] So I take the piece of garbage to the Toyota dealership and they keep the truck for 8 hours on a Saturday !!!!! and tell me truck has the wrong spark plugs and that's causing the PO171 code. $258 later they replace the spark plugs and clear the code and off I go. 8 miles down the road I noticed the piece of crap is misfiring out the tailpipe and CEL comes back on? So after a few more curse words I decide to take it back to dealership the next day and complain. After keeping the garbage truck for 5 hours they now tell me it could be the timing belt was off by a tooth and maybe the fuel injector needs to be replace.....$2,200.00 !!!! Are you fricking kidding me. ROFLMAO. So I take the truck home and the next day when I started, a huge black smoke comes out of tailpipe. Ugh. So I go get timing belt done on my own with a local mechanic and the cost was $500.00 with parts. Drive 4 miles down the road and CEL comes back on ? [non-permissible content removed] So now I replace the Fuel filter and still CEL on. After doing some research I find out that Toyota brand only likes DENSO sensors so I again replaced the 2 Oxygen sensors with DENSO and boom CEL goes off. So I actually drove 250 with NO CEL on but she kept misfiring out the tailpipe and hesitation. So I go and replace the fuel pump and still same issue. And then go after the gaskets and seals and replace them.Now I'm getting ready to dump this piece of garbage out to sea. So a few days later I noticed a funny gas smell coming from the inside of the engine. What is up, now I have a leaking fuel injector ?? Another $450 to fix. And yep CEL comes back on and this time it's the bad sensor may set a P0401 code (insufficient EGR flow), or it may not set an EGR code but a P0171 and/or P0174 lean code instead. I'm going nuts !!!!! Fix the Fuel injector, reset the computer by disconnecting the battery. So Good riddance you [non-permissible conten removed] tacoma. Toyota got it wrong. DO NOT by a first generation Tacoma at all. Stay away !!!!!! Far away. The worst truck I have bought in my entire life and would not recommend a first generation Tacoma to anyone. GRADE F

31 years with 2 Tacomas
By Ed Chacon

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

'86 extra cab 14 years no major problems ...'2002 4door still runs great no problems.......Bought both new and both had normal wear and tear. Change oil regularly and treat it like it'll be there for 15 + years and it will.

taco
By t komp

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

look at fuel hoses

Ownership of a Toyota Tacoma
By Fred Analla

2002 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

I really enjoyed this truck, medical problems dictate that I find something else for my use. The truck has been very good and dependable, I haven't had any problems other than having to install a battery. I very much enjoyed driving this vehicle and as an old an auto mechanic repairing many different vehicles this Toyota comes highly recomended.

stout little truck
By anthony

2002 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

i did get 31 mpg on freeway at 65 with tailgate down nothing in bed