Used 1998 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews - 53 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Very dependable
By Randy

1998 Toyota Tacoma SR5 2dr Extended Cab SB

Very great auto. Never had an issue with my 98 taco. Only sold it bcuz I needed the extra room only a 4 door could provide due to family growth. Loved it so much I bought a 4 door sr5

Happy it is in Demand!
By Bob Harvey

1998 Toyota Tacoma SR5 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Have several offers for it above "Edmunds Values." Several are willing to pay $1,000 to $2000 above "blue book rated value"... Soon as I get a few projects done with its functionality, "Show me the MONEY!"

300300 and still strong.
By Mike

1998 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

Retired now and don't have to drive much. Truck's still good though. Biggest problem now is its become hard to get real toyota parts. MPG still 23. Biggest advantage is the size. It fits into grown over logging roads that a full sized PU won't.
However, it has become difficult to locate in parking lots with all the oversized vehicles. Its often the smallest vehicle.
With my '95 4Runner V6 I've got > 500K miles.

the yota
By nic burt

1998 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Extended Cab SB

14 years 285k miles. Best truck ever. Only thing I have ever replaced was idol air control valve. But never stranded me. Just idoled a little rough lol took this truck everywhere in some rough situations. My kids are 5 years old aandwill drive this truck when they turn 16

Bulletproof Pickup
By srsage107

1998 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 2dr Extended Cab SB

I have owned my 98 Tacoma for nearly a decade now. The truck is running 238k miles and the last California smog it had last year, it passed with flying colors. The mechanic was not surprised in the least that with all of the regular normal maintenance I do, that the Tacoma was still passing smog like it had at 5k miles.

In the entire time I have owned my Tacoma, I have only replaced the battery once, the water pump and radiator at 220k miles and the alternator at 200k miles. I use only genuine Toyota parts. This truck has hauled boats, motorcycles, sand, cement, u-hauls and still sparkles like the day it came out of the factory and has not lost any power over the years. Solid truck!

Super reliable, I have never been stranded anywhere Ground clearance makes oil changes easy Spacious bed Surprisingly powerful even in overdrive ECT switch for Transmission & Overdrive button for fuel saving on Freeway

It's a Toyota, nothing to improve