Used 2008 Toyota Sienna Consumer Reviews - 87 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Sienna Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:

Super vehicle, family vantastic
By Marye

2008 Toyota Sienna Limited 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This limited model has outstanding features. Wonderful family car, drives beautifully, quality built, etc, etc, etc

I always buy Toyotas
By Maryellen Voigt

2008 Toyota Sienna LE 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I had a 2000 Sienna CE that I recently gave away to someone who needed a van. It had 280,000 miles on it and still ran, everything (but a few minor things) works on it including the AC. It had no bells or whistles on it that could break anyway. It was an amazing van for our family. Three years ago, I bought a pre-owned 2008 Sienna LE, and I am very happy with this one as well. I hope it lasts as long as the 2000 one. It has a more powerful engine so accelerates nicely, though a little noisy, is roomy inside and has a very large cargo area. Toyota finally made the part for the recalled spare tire mount so I had it installed several months ago. This improved the cargo space in the rear because I no longer had the spare in the rear cargo compartment. I find the front seats uncomfortable for my lower back, even with the lumbar support fully extended so I keep a long pillow in the crack of the seat which remedies the problem. I have met other Toyota owners who seem to have the same problem. I was not a fan of the automatic side doors because I found them to be very slow, but they're growing on me. However, the driver’s side automatic door sometimes does not open when door handle is pulled after the car has been sitting for a day or two. But works with the inside button or from the remote. The rear seats fold into the back compartment easily. The middle row captain’s chairs roll forward to create space but are a bit difficult to remove and put back in—mainly because they are very heavy. This van handles well in all types of driving, even in snow. I bought this van with 72K miles on it in May of 2015 (the year bought below doesn't work). I have driven it over 40K miles since purchased and it has not had any problems. Update on 3/21/2018 for the 2000 Sienna: It now has 292,000 miles on it and still going.

Sienna surprise
By Christy Chase

2008 Toyota Sienna Limited 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I never thought I'd say I loved a minivan, but this beast has been very good to our family. It's very comfortable to drive and to ride in. Repair issues were as expected with use or because of other lame drivers who hit us and caused cosmetic damage. It can carry a ton of stuff - large teenage athletes, Ikea furniture, household contents when moving homes, bikes, etc. I actually don't want to sell it, but we are downsizing.

Hate this minivan.
By Davis

2008 Toyota Sienna LE 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this van new in 2008 and have treated it well. Initially liked it well enough, though lack of flat area on center console was very annoying. However, even from the beginning, poor craftsmanship/materials were evident. Things started breaking within a year. Pieces of trim coming unglued and hanging off, buttons breaking, etc. - those little things that drive you nuts. I had to replace the factory standard tires and battery far sooner than I should have. Cabin noise has also increased significantly since purchase. For the past 5 years I have had a gurgling behind the steering column that no mechanic has ever been able to identify, including Toyota dealership. Van has begun to shimmy and vibrate over 50 mph, which no mechanic has been able to fix.

But more concerning is the handling in all weather that is the least bit damp. Despite trying various types of tires, and driving well within the speed dictated by road conditions, the van has significant issues with lack of traction and hydroplaning. Even pulling out at a light on slightly damp roads can cause the wheels to slip. If wet weather is bad, snow is even worse. I have gotten to the point that I just don't drive the vehicle in inclement weather.

The only reason I have kept the van is that I only see myself needing a van for another couple years. Once the kids are out of college you no longer need that size vehicle. So I park it on my driveway and use it only when my Honda CRV just isn't big enough.

Expensive, but worth it.
By jamie_z

2008 Toyota Sienna Limited 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased the 2008 Toyota Sienna Limited from Carmax with 112,000 miles on it. I've owned it now for three weeks. I'm fairly impressed.

Overall gas mileage is a tick under 20 mpg.

I'm a single guy with no kids and I drive a minivan, but I'm ok with that. This one is pretty nice and it holds a lot of stuff when I need it to. Superbly flexible and comfortable accommodations for any number of people.

It's an expensive car compared to the competition, but hopefully with the Toyota reputation, it'll last a long time.

The seating arrangement gives plenty of options, including moving the center console to the second row, moving or removing the second row seats, and of course the 60/40 third row folds down. Lots of power options. Rear climate control. DVD player. Leather seats. Visibility is impressive for such a large vehicle.

I wish the A/C blower had a lower setting. At the lowest fan speed, it still blows pretty strong from the dash vents. There's a lot of wind and road noise while driving. I didn't expect this. Perhaps quieter tires might help. I don't like that there's no way to keep the radio information visible on the screen. When you change stations or volume, there's a little dropdown on the screen, but then it goes away to show the navigation. I want it to display the station info. Needs second row power outlets. How did they miss that?