Used 2013 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews - 72 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Great Car but...
By Kurt Matthews

2013 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

The lighting for the flat screen display is too weak. It is unreadable in the daytime and very weak at night. The adjustment feature makes no difference. I applied anti-glare film which helps a bit. The hatchback doesn’t close properly. It goes down about six inches, beeps twice and closes. I have to through this routine three to four times before it closes all the way. I have cleared the door memory per the owners manual but that didn’t solve the problem. I have the keyless entry and ignition feature. Do NOT lose your key chain transponder. It cost me $471 to replace. If you lose both units a new computer must be installed in the car and two new transponders made. That must cost a fortune. Read the troubleshooting chapter in the owners manual. If the transponder battery dies or the thing gets crushed you can still start the engine and run the car. If I were buying another car today I’d get another RAV without question.

great car.
By James Scouton

2013 Toyota RAV4 LE 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

love the suv, except for one thing. The transmission tends to "pause" between gears. I brought this problem to the attention of three dealerships, but was "blown off" each time. Finally I got a letter from Toyota extending the warranry on the power train, because of problems with the torque converter on some Rav4s. That hejped, but dealers still will not take any action without charging me for diagnostics. With the extended warr. I am not as worried now, but would still like to have it checked before I end up stranded out in some remote place.

Main family vehicle owned for 3 years
By Shawn

2013 Toyota RAV4 LE 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

So, this is our main car! We go everywhere in this thing (wife and 4 kids). The Pros: It is a Toyota with great resale value, 0 mechanical problems than regular maintenance (oil changes, brakes and tires), comfortable interior for the entire family, LOTS of cubby hole storage hidden all over this car, handles great on sunny/rainy/snowy days (I feel very comfortable with my wife taking a drive in the snow with the kiddos in this SUV). For the 4 cyl engine, it has a higher tow capacity than any other comparable SUV I have found. The Cons: Not really much to say here though have two very minor things to comment on: 1) the reverse camera does not allow you to toggle for directional tracking of where your car will be with the angle of the wheels. This is a very handy feature to have that is missing here. 2) The USB plug barely charges your phone. As this overrides the BT function of the radio and phone, your music and such are fed through the USB, but your battery will still drain. Leaving BT on and having my iPhone plugged in on a 2hr drive my phone lost 23% battery life instead of charging. Road performance. I have driven Toyota's many times in my life and am a huge fan of the Rav. It has a peppy pickup and go from stop or while in motion. Sometimes (especially in my town where speed limit is often 25mph) maybe a little too much pep? I find myself taking my foot off the gas very quickly to coast and ride the brake time to time in residential areas. The visibility for the driver can hardly be beat than with the Rav. Very few blind spots. A U-turn does require a little more than a standard 2 lane road with the expansion of the wheel base, but still, for the extra foot length of the car to its predecessor, I'll make the swap. Road noise is there but not bad at all. You feel the road without feeling like you are being beaten to death by it, lol. A smooth ride in a vehicle that can still hug curves at decent rates without squealing tires. Interior comfort. My kids have plenty of leg room in the back, and if the front passenger and driver are willing to give up a very little bit of theirs, adults can be in the backseat comfortably. The cup holders for front and back are well placed, and the seats are comfortable. Personally i feel the front seats have a bit more padding in them for the rump than the back seats. As I am a bigger guy and my knees don't like me squatting into and out of sedans much any more, I find the access very easy without having to climb up and in. The back area of the car with the rear seat up is quite large for a small SUV. My Mastiff ( a 160lb dog) fits back there comfortably. If I need both of my dogs to go somewhere, then the seats have to be folded down. Gas MPG is decent for an SUV with AWD. Before we moved to the mountains we were getting approx 26 in city and 32 on highway. Now I need to get my car tuned for the altitude as we are down to 22/28 MPG.

1st Time Owner
By Dave

2013 Toyota RAV4 XLE 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

This is my first Toyota. I am the original owner with about 70K miles since purchase. Had an issue with transmission shudder but recall replaced the torque converter at no charge and extended the warranty for the transmission to 150K. I have had the Toyota extended warranty to 100K with free oil and filter changes. Dealership service has been very good. As stated in the Edmunds review the vehicle is no speed demon [4 cylinder, 176 HP] however I have never found it to be lacking of power when I stand on the gas, it responds well. Interior [dash] is a bit plain but all controls are user friendly. Does not have navigation as I get better navigation from my cell phone. Fuel economy has been very good based on driving conditions. I average between 26 and 32 [city, highway] and am light on the gas when accelerating. Entry and exit is good as it sits up higher than sedans which are a problem particularly for exiting by my spouse and myself. Would like fold flat rear seats when hauling cargo, otherwise an all around good vehicle. Will consider buying another Rav4 but with all the competition in a few years the market may change considerably. With three Toyotas [two Prius and one Rav4] in our history we will likely stay with Toyota. They do need to upgrade the interior to bring a little more class and keep up with its competitors.

SAFE, FUN AND COMFORTABLE
By S. Kordela

2013 Toyota RAV4 XLE 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Know your needs and seek out info on the competition...