Used 2013 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews - 70 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Main family vehicle owned for 3 years
By Shawn

2013 Toyota RAV4 LE 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

So, this is our main car! We go everywhere in this thing (wife and 4 kids). The Pros: It is a Toyota with great resale value, 0 mechanical problems than regular maintenance (oil changes, brakes and tires), comfortable interior for the entire family, LOTS of cubby hole storage hidden all over this car, handles great on sunny/rainy/snowy days (I feel very comfortable with my wife taking a drive in the snow with the kiddos in this SUV). For the 4 cyl engine, it has a higher tow capacity than any other comparable SUV I have found. The Cons: Not really much to say here though have two very minor things to comment on: 1) the reverse camera does not allow you to toggle for directional tracking of where your car will be with the angle of the wheels. This is a very handy feature to have that is missing here. 2) The USB plug barely charges your phone. As this overrides the BT function of the radio and phone, your music and such are fed through the USB, but your battery will still drain. Leaving BT on and having my iPhone plugged in on a 2hr drive my phone lost 23% battery life instead of charging. Road performance. I have driven Toyota's many times in my life and am a huge fan of the Rav. It has a peppy pickup and go from stop or while in motion. Sometimes (especially in my town where speed limit is often 25mph) maybe a little too much pep? I find myself taking my foot off the gas very quickly to coast and ride the brake time to time in residential areas. The visibility for the driver can hardly be beat than with the Rav. Very few blind spots. A U-turn does require a little more than a standard 2 lane road with the expansion of the wheel base, but still, for the extra foot length of the car to its predecessor, I'll make the swap. Road noise is there but not bad at all. You feel the road without feeling like you are being beaten to death by it, lol. A smooth ride in a vehicle that can still hug curves at decent rates without squealing tires. Interior comfort. My kids have plenty of leg room in the back, and if the front passenger and driver are willing to give up a very little bit of theirs, adults can be in the backseat comfortably. The cup holders for front and back are well placed, and the seats are comfortable. Personally i feel the front seats have a bit more padding in them for the rump than the back seats. As I am a bigger guy and my knees don't like me squatting into and out of sedans much any more, I find the access very easy without having to climb up and in. The back area of the car with the rear seat up is quite large for a small SUV. My Mastiff ( a 160lb dog) fits back there comfortably. If I need both of my dogs to go somewhere, then the seats have to be folded down. Gas MPG is decent for an SUV with AWD. Before we moved to the mountains we were getting approx 26 in city and 32 on highway. Now I need to get my car tuned for the altitude as we are down to 22/28 MPG.

1st Time Owner
By Dave

2013 Toyota RAV4 XLE 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

This is my first Toyota. I am the original owner with about 70K miles since purchase. Had an issue with transmission shudder but recall replaced the torque converter at no charge and extended the warranty for the transmission to 150K. I have had the Toyota extended warranty to 100K with free oil and filter changes. Dealership service has been very good. As stated in the Edmunds review the vehicle is no speed demon [4 cylinder, 176 HP] however I have never found it to be lacking of power when I stand on the gas, it responds well. Interior [dash] is a bit plain but all controls are user friendly. Does not have navigation as I get better navigation from my cell phone. Fuel economy has been very good based on driving conditions. I average between 26 and 32 [city, highway] and am light on the gas when accelerating. Entry and exit is good as it sits up higher than sedans which are a problem particularly for exiting by my spouse and myself. Would like fold flat rear seats when hauling cargo, otherwise an all around good vehicle. Will consider buying another Rav4 but with all the competition in a few years the market may change considerably. With three Toyotas [two Prius and one Rav4] in our history we will likely stay with Toyota. They do need to upgrade the interior to bring a little more class and keep up with its competitors.

SAFE, FUN AND COMFORTABLE
By S. Kordela

2013 Toyota RAV4 XLE 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Know your needs and seek out info on the competition...

My 2013 Rav4 Limited
By Mike Oakley

2013 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I really like this vehicle. No, I think I love this vehicle. I bought this vehicle from my dad who had this before me and he loved it. He is 82 and was just ready for another vehicle. The interior is roomy, the instrumentation is easy to learn and view and the comfort of the seats is fine. Seats are not as comfy as the Volvo I just sold but are good for an SUV. Has the heated leather (or imitation) seats that are comfortable and easy to maneuver and the gas mileage is awesome, especially when you put it in Eco mode. My dad didn't know about the different settings (said he never knew they were there) due to their awkward location but I am fine with it. I don't switch modes when I am driving anyway, I keep it on Eco. At present, the tires that are on the vehicle do not ride smooth and make a humming noise but I am convinced that is due to the tires, not the vehicle. I drive 120 miles to and from work so I need comfort, economy, a good sound system and storage space for my "stuff," golf clubs, foldable chair, etc. So far this vehicle is excellent for what I need. I look forward to many years in this nice ride.

Toyota is always a good choice
By Anthony Wildy

2013 Toyota RAV4 LE 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

This is our third consecutive Toyota RAV4 since 1966. We’ve always been very pleased with the reliability of our Toyota’s. However, it’s time to try something different. The extra safety features in the new RAVs are pricing us to look at the other SUVs in the marketplace. I’m annoyed that even to have push button starter will force me upgrade thousands of extra dollars making it overpriced compared to other SUVs.