Used 2009 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews - 129 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Ok Suv , but handling and transmission was bad
By Honda’s are better

2009 Toyota RAV4 Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Most factory recall of any vehicle I’ve owned, both foreign or domestic. More blind spots than Stevie Wonder. Water pump needed to be replaced every 25,000 miles. Transmission replaced at 50,000 miles....and yes, all maintenance schedules were followed. Handling was fairly unstable, I had more confidence in the 1999 Ford Explorer handling the Rav replaced. Automatic transmission was absolutely despicable, rough shifting and would hesitate when turning and accelerating. One of the very few cars I regretted buying.

Quality transportation
By Richard

2009 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My RAV4 has been solid transportation for nine years: easy to drive, easy to maintain - simply reliable. The test of its durability is I am about to turn it over to my grandson with confidence that it will be safe and reliable for him.

RAVES 4 RAV 4!
By LS Schmagin

2009 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased used from local Honda dealer. 141,000 miles. I purchased my own Carfax b4 test drive. Checked Edmunds, KBB, and private prices. Negotiated fair deal. My mechanic checked it. All great have not owned 1 month, so no ratings on powertrain/mechanical. The 6 cyl. Is quick, responsive, and Limited version has great std. accessories. Wireless FOB key: only had 1, so it is $300+ to purchase and program from a Toyota dealer...neither ACE hardware, nor private offer this 2009 FOB! Toyota has a closed market on this FOB key. Otherwise, i love this suv! I put all rear seats down and have 2 dogs. Bought suv floor liner and door pads to protect cargo areas...amazon and ebay. Also added Weathertech window and hood accessories, and a set of metallic/rubber red floor mats.

Dependable and comfy
By Marcia L Sandberg

2009 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My RAV4 has been a great car. Rid3s smoother and controls are accessible and easy. Little to no problems maintenance-wise. Does well in LA gridlock as well as on the open road.

Love my RAV 4
By Beth

2009 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This one was purchased used with just under 100,000 miles and has been more expensive repair wise than my previous matrix with 250,000 miles. The alternator went out right after I purchased it. I think everything has just been normal maintenance though and I have no idea how it was driven prior to my purchase. Overall it is a very comfortable car and has lots of storage in it. I get between 20 mpg in town and up to 26 miles per gallon on the highway. Mine is a 4 wheel drive vehicle. My matrix got 30 miles to a gallon after it had 200,000 miles on it and 42 miles to a gallon new. It was a 2005. I enjoy driving this car. Other than regular oil changes I have only had the alternator repair so far.