Used 2012 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews - 51 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius model:

2012 Toyota Prius Five 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This vehicle made me so happy I bought to within months of each other. I traveled a lot by road and needed good mileage per gallon and dependability Prius gave me this and more. I bought a second one for my wife. I traded one in with the most mileage for a Lexus and got $12000 for it. I still have the other. Great Little Car!!!!!!

Prius Cabin Noise
By A. J. Cyr

2012 Toyota Prius Five 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought a 2016 Prius V to travel around the US after I retire this year. Have been very satisfied with the fuel economy, but very disappointed in the road/wind noise in the vehicle at highway speeds. I find this annoying, loud noise, unacceptable, to try to drive 20 k miles around the country. As it is, I would need ear protection to drive this 4, 5 or 6 hours a day on the highways. Not a good idea when traveling with your wife. I will attempt to install sound deadening mats or fabric to see if this will help to reduce cabin noise, but, the noise seems to come from the windows. Not sure if mats will help. Also looking at other hybrids to trade up to. Too bad. Excellent mileage, but wicked bad cabin noise. Toyota should have put more effort in sound control in this cab when they retooled the model in 2016.

Rattle, rattle, bang, bang
By John

2012 Toyota Prius Four 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Visibility from inside the car is very poor. The backup camera is useless a far as telling you how far away from an object you are. If there's an elephant behind you, you'll be able to see it but not know how far away it is--until you hit it. The long sloping windshield pushes the dash out so far it's hard to see over it making it impossible to know where the front of your car ends and the car you're trying to park next to begins. Same goes for the rear window. Everything rattles. If you prefer a car with a lockable trunk, don't buy a Prius where everything that should be in the trunk is in the car with you. We owned a 2002 Prius for almost 10 years before buying the current 2012 model. It was quieter, more maneuverable, and more like a real car. The gas mileage on the 2012 model is better, but that doesn't make up for the other shortcomings of the 2012.