2017 Toyota Prius Prime Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 47 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Toyota Prius Prime Hatchback Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius Prime model:

First Toyota! So far so good!
By Ash

2017 Toyota Prius Prime Hatchback Advanced 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Literally walked across to the Toy dealership after dropping off the Ford CMax. My commute increased from 65 Miles round trip to 80 Miles. Choice was between the new LEAF, Bolt and the prime. Decided against the LEAF because of all the range anxiety I had with my 2012 LEAF. Bolt was finally off the list because of the size of the car. Prius won me hands down. Automatic collision detection has saved me at least once while driving back from work. Has 6000 mi on the car already averaging about 99 Mpge lifetime. Visit to the gas station is every 850 miles which is wonderful.

Prius Prime - game changer
By mick

2017 Toyota Prius Prime Hatchback Premium 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

the continuous variable transmission is great, compared to the stuttering clutch issue my old ford focus had. I would recommend this car to anyone looking to reduce their carbon footprint. If you want to go all in, install solar panels.

100 MPG!
By Ronald Johnson

If you plug in after each errand you can use virtually no gas at all. We made a 500 mile trip using no plug in at all and still averaged 61 mpg!

Better electric range than EPA rating
By Giuseppe Verdi

Primary reason for buying a Prius is fuel efficiency. I have not been to a gas station yet, so I don't know the mpg. But except for one trip of about 450 miles, all of my miles have been electric miles, and I estimate that I am getting about 4.6 miles/kWh or better. That's equivalent to 155 mpg-e, much better than the EPA rating of 133. Admittedly, my driving has been "gentle", and very little of it at highway speeds. On the negative side, the touch-screen layout need improvement, presumably just a firmware upgrade (which Toyota should offer at no cost to owners). One example: when the speed limit is displayed, the numbers are TINY.

Just the car I wanted
By Rajesh Pankaj

I bought this car a year ago in April 2017. I was driving a 10 year old Lexus RX350. But kids are grown and I don't need an SUV. My criteria were as follows: Needs to be plug-in hybrid with at least 20 miles of EV range (environmentally friendly but didn't want range anxiety), and must have adaptive cruise control, lane keeping assist, and blind spot monitor. Also, I was not willing to pay more than $50k for a car. Ultimately, it came down to Chevy Volt, Ford Fusion plug in hybrid, and this one. The other two cars have been available longer but I like the boring reliability of Toyota. The car delivered. My commute is 8 miles one way and I can charge at work and got a level 2 charger for home. My first fill up was at 3000 miles. I live in San Diego and with my driving pattern I would easily go 3000 miles between fill ups if I actually filled my tank and didn't drive to Los Angeles periodically for fun. Adaptive cruise control works well and so does blind spot monitoring. Lane keeping assist is OK but not great. But I don't think it's an issue with this car alone. The car also came with heads up display (love it), and parallel parking assist (works well when I need it which is not often). People have complained about acceleration. I never have any trouble merging on freeways. The fact that electric motor delivers all the torque at zero speed has helped me escape things without any problem. A couple of minor negatives: (1) The touch screen is not the best interface to do things while I am driving. I know everyone wants to emulate Tesla but I wish there were actual knobs. (2) The passenger side seat does not have power adjustment. I would have paid a little more for that. (3) Back-in parking assist's success is spotty (unlike the parallel parking which has never failed me). Actually it is a single button that you press and the car looks for a spot (parallel or back-in). But its detector for when it found a spot you can back into (for perpendicular parking) only works sporadically. If it finds one correctly, the assist works perfectly. (4) Small trunk. But to be expected given the battery size. Hatchback means I can create a bigger trunk in exchange for carrying fewer people. Also it comes with free maintenance for 2 years. Overall, super happy with the car.