Used 2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder Consumer Reviews - 47 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder Consumer Reviews

Base 1.8L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (47 reviews )

cool but had to pass
By tracy glenn

2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

great looking car, I am in the market for a sporty 2-seater. athighway speed it was screaming it's guts out...geared too low. The deal breaker was the visibility. blind spots were too large.

Great Looking Car
By Patrick

2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Excellent weekend car, fun to drive, low maintenance cost, etc. , but don't take it on a long trip. You will pay with a sore bottom.

Pure fun!
By bretter66

2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I just love getting drive this little car, it is so Fun! Almost go cart like, good in turns, smooth on the road. Its a little tough to get out of, being a 6 footer, But worth the drive. Great on the gas mileage for a Summer 3rd car that is economical & trendy also rare it's a keeper

It's a spyder! i have seen 2 others in the 6 months I have had mine. Every one takes a look and wonders what it is. Looks like a Porsche at 1/3 the price. It's a Toyota! parts for engine are easy to fine and it cheap to have work done.

It should have a hook on the bottom so I can hang it on the wall when done driving it. lol it's not full of luggage space, but who cares

Not the best, but better than many
By Mariano

2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Although this car has been categorized as "sports", it isn't. It lacks the power to support, "sports". What many people are complaining about I have to agree with as far as easy scratches, "ears" on my top when dropped, and fogged headlights. However, I love the interior of this car as basic and simple as it is. It has what you need, not what you want. That's what I want. Of course it would be ideal if this car was a lexus, but it isn't. I highly recommend to purchase this car used and invest another 3k into a turbo and another 1k into suspension components. I will have spent a total of 11k into this car if I do so with the purchase price; then the car would be phenomenally fast and handling.

Suspension is tight for stock and nearly 10 years old.

Turbo, Suspension upgrade, Limited Slip Differential. That's it.

Unique Dependability
By The Borg

2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I flew to Indiana from Michigan to purchase my 2001 MR-2. I enjoy the tan leather seats and carbon fiber dash appointments. I put on special chrome wheels. Larger set of Toyo's on back and Dual exhaust adapted from existing system. I have had nothing but joy when I drive. I currently have 36,000 miles on it and appreciate the great millage.

Reliable

I really would like to purchase a hardtop for the car, Europeans have them.