Used 2014 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews - 41 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Great Vehicle
By jedmonds

2014 Toyota Highlander XLE 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Excellent and reliable vehicle. Seats could be better as they are not very supportive in our view. I don't care for the way the navigation and radio controls are. Traction is excellent. We find the vehicle a little small for family of five. Overall, it is a safe reliable and nice vehicle but some of the interior leather etc. feels kind of cheap.

Excellent Quality But Buyer Beware of Remote Start
By John Reuter

2014 Toyota Highlander XLE 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This auto was purchased new in 2014 and overall the car is very dependable and we have experienced no major mechanical issues. It has good acceleration when needed for an SUV. The ride is excellent and the electronics are dependable. The one major complaint we have is with the remote starter. We added the remote start just recently and purchased it from Toyota so we would have little issues with it. We were surprised to find out the quality of the remote starter is sub-par. Our advise, do not purchase an OEM remote start from Toyota. It is poorly designed with a max remote start distance of 100 ft (which we have not seen this distance actually work). When you unlock any door the car turns itself off. Toyota says it is a security feature. Other manufacturers handle security another way that is much more convenient and the car will not turn off. It will only run for 10 minutes when remotely started and there is no way to lengthen the time in colder climates. Most of the time to start the car using the FOB it takes multiple key press combinations on the standard remote FOB. Thus you cannot tell when the car starts from a distance. So this is a useless $600 feature including installation at the dealer. Again, overall this is a nice car just do not expect to have a useful remote start. By an aftermarket unit.

Pa or not
By Pa or not

2014 Toyota Highlander XLE 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

The awd is sluggish up hills

My first "Little" SUV- So far So Good
By Clyde Roberson

2014 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Longtime behemoth SUV driver (10 years with a GMC Yukon) wanted to get something better to commute downtown with. This has been a really good choice so far. Purchased used at 10K miles for $$40K, have put another 25K on it without one repair, except for the electronics reset that was done for free the week I purchased it. Apparently sometimes the electronics package freezes up, preventing radio/ Nav/ Blue tooth from operating correctly. Once the dealer reset me to factory original, it has worked flawlessly. My only complaint about this and just about all other foreign made SUV's is legroom for the driver. There is a bump up step on the left that requires the driver to place their left foot on this raised platform. Probably as these vehicles are about a foot shorter than the gas guzzling American beasts, the engine compartment gets built into the cab a bit. I have back issues and feel better if my legs get to stretch, so long distance driving fatigues me more with this vehicle than my Yukon did. Also the leather seats are just not as plush as my old SUV.

2014 Toyota Highlander XLE power lift gate
By Ronnie

2014 Toyota Highlander XLE 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

It is a great SUV but only problem is power lift-gate was giving a problem at the beginning it stop and go and now it doesn't work at all. I went to the service dealer and they charge to fix it $1,700.00