Used 2011 Toyota Highlander SUV Consumer Reviews - 53 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Toyota Highlander SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Give Toyota a chance
By Bob Charest

2011 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

As a 40-plus year driver and car owner, I have owned many, many cars, including Fords, Lincolns, Mercurys, a Honda, Chevy, Pontiac, and Acura. This is my first Toyota, and I'm sorry I waited so long. I bought it as a used vehicle based on Toyota's reported reliability, and the car has been a surprise. It amazes me every time I get in it how comfortable it is, how safe, and how well it handles. Toyota crammed this thing full of gadgets, as well as cup holders. There are cup holders everywhere. Too bad I don't drink that much. The gadgets - from the navigation system to the back-seat heat controls to the back hatch opener - are impressive. But I've been driving Ford Escapes the last 10 years, so there's that.

Worst Toyota I ever owned
By Britte Bethany

2011 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

In 6 years we have spent thousands of dollars fixing steering problems, wheel bearings, resurfacing rotors, tailgate is rusting and seal keeps breaking even though car is garaged. Braintree Dealership won't do anything except offer us 10% discount for all these repairs. Resale value for the SUV which has all options is only $15,500. We paid $46K. After 20 years of owning Toyotas, we vow never to buy one again

High on Highlander
By Michael Cunningham

2011 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Comfort, good value and reliability are but a few attributes Highlands are known for. I've had three over the years and they just keep getting better. Decided I'll soon be shopping for my fourth. Great cars!

Love it
By John D

2011 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased the SE used with 83,000 miles and so far have loved it. Within 1 month, traveled nearly 3000 miles-1 long road trip and it drove great. Plenty of room, quiet ride and great sound on Sirius/XM. Rear camera is nice to let you know something is there but do not trust it to back into a parking spot

Overrated
By Bradley Bean

2011 Toyota Highlander SUV SE 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After years of owning domestic vehicles, I antied up and paid the big bucks for a Toyota. What a disappointment. The vehicle seemed great at first, but we didn't notice that it rode like a truck until our first road trip. The 3rd row seats are a joke - none of our kids will sit back there so long trips became a nightmare with 3 kids. The navigation feature was klunky and we battled leaks around the moonroof. We also noted that it lacked features like convenient charging ports for devices. MPG was less than reported, but that is typical. The vehicle starts / stops and ran reliably, but for $40K, you expect a lot more. We were so happy to trade out of it!