Used 2005 Toyota Corolla Consumer Reviews - 348 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Corolla Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Just o w great car!
By Susan

2005 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

My second Toyota..just a great dependable car. Rented a 2019 Corolla and would not trade for my 2005! Get 35mpg on hwy 39mpg city...runs great.
I do maintain and take care of it and many happy years yet to come..

This car is indestructible
By DG

2005 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the car new. After initial few scheduled servicing, I only do oil change when the reminder lights come on. So far, I had to replace the spark plugs and ignition coils, other than breaks and belts. I also had to replace the oil gasket. The one major fault I have is the TCC (Torque Clutch Converter). It sometimes doesn't lock and check engine light comes on. It is expensive to fix, and not a safety issue. Just provides slightly less mpg. I have approximately 215K miles. The electronics were poor in this year's model control button lights died in some places long back. Fortunately, the main dash odometer cluster never had problem. It has been weaker, but didn't die. I replaced the radio with a Kenwood HD with Android funtions. The clock died long back. It flickered for a while and then died. Actually, the clock internally works. But the power supply is bad. As I said, the car's wiring system is very poor, but the mechanical parts are strong. I also added aftermarket remote start from Best Buy. Still drive this long distance on highway and often pass others at 90+ mph when necessary.

Great little car...
By Frenebulox

2005 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I've used this car as a daily commuter and on regular trips to Florida. It performs like a Toyota - it keeps going and doesn't leave me hanging. The gas mileage has been OK - not as good as others have reported but then again I have a heavy foot. I installed a hitch on my car to accommodate a bicycle rack. The extra weight on the tail doesn't seem to affect performance or handling and has allowed me better access to the trunk when carrying bikes. I would have to say that the most impressive thing about this little car is that when the hurricane hit Florida in 2017, I was able to fit two carefully cut 4' x 8' 3/4" sheets of plywood, 5 or 6 cut 2 by 4's, power tools, a case of water and two 5 gallon Jerry cans of gas in it so I could go down and board up my mom's house. I had to do some careful planning on how I fit everything in, but the Corolla swallowed it all up and carried me at high speeds to Florida. It's a great little car.

No Frills, Basic Car
By Devon

2005 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This was purchased as a used starter car. It's basic no frills car. My biggest concern is that the paint is wearing off on most of the car, and when I see this car on the road, it appears to be a problem with a LOT of them. Not sure what happened with the paint this year, but the car looks a mess now. I know I overpaid, since I bought it at a dealer, but I wasn't expecting this on top of that. I would not recommend this car.

I loved this car until last Friday!
By Robin Perry

2005 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This is my "Mini NASCAR" wanna be car. I've owned this car since 2005. It's been really good to me, even with recalls. It has 159,000 miles on it. I don't drive very far to work, maybe 10 miles. 3 years ago someone hit my kid in it head on accident & the airbags did not deploy! I had it repaired, because I love my car & it's my fav car I've ever owned! I've had to change the brake pads often. 3 months ago, I had to have a new piece replaced & welded for the exhaust, which my buddy who did it for me, knew right where to look & fixed it for $45. He said it's common with Corolla's & living in IL. There's a short somewhere in my dash because unless someone is setting in the passenger seat wearing a seatbelt, my clock no longer works & that stopped about 2 years ago. I have been having transmission problems for about a year now. When the weather gets warmer, my "Check Engine" light comes on & when I take off from a complete stop, it goes into gear very hard! Last Friday, I was going around a curve, turning left & the car lost control & spun out. I noticed a difference that day on my way to work & had put new tires on it about 2 weeks before & it was driving like a champ after the tires. The car was also aligned at the time of the new tires being installed. My car now feels as if I'm riding on air & I slow down to a crawl when turning left now. I was driving down the road last night trying to swerve to see the difference from my left to right steering action & my left is really a mess.