Used 1999 Toyota Corolla Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Corolla for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Most Reliable Car ever Made!!

dblock1283, 10/31/2014
VE 4dr Sedan

This 1999 corolla is absolutely amazing. More reliable than any Honda I've owned. 200,000 miles, I've put on 40k of them in 2 years and only have done oil changes. The car is way more comfortable than civic or integra of same year, ride is smooth and power is sufficient.

Never owned such a great car

eddyman1983, 05/24/2013
CE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car last year with 200 000 km on it for 900 bucks. Changed the 4 shocks(didn't have to but back end sagged a bit) and changed the oil. Doesn't burn oil still and now has 240 000. I have never seen a car so reliable. car handles great, even better that my accord. Once a honda man, now a toyota man. I'll keep it until i fall through the floor.

Best Car in History

huaiti323, 11/26/2010
CE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car for $4000 almost 3 years ago. have changed only tires, filters and the serpentine. The a/c is amazing, the MPG are great. The only problems are cosmetic like the center drawer door broke and the interior roof covering is peeling off. I bought it in Florida and recently shipped it to Puerto Rico and it is still unstoppable with 168,000 miles and counting!

Bullet Proof

MtnRoad, 03/08/2016
LE 4dr Sedan

I purchased a used 1999 Toyota Corolla LE with a 1.8L 4spd automatic trans w/ OD in 2014 with approx 150,000 miles on it. It had been well taken care of by the previous owner, and I continued the same maintenance with regular oil changes, etc. I took it to Riverview Toyota in Mesa, AZ for my regular maintenance and they never fleeced me or recommended anything other than the oil changes and other regular maintenance. The brake pads were kind of making a slow grind and I took it into Riverview and they were honest and told me the previous owner didn't install ceramic brake pads (at a non Toyota shop) and the grind was nothing, don't worry about it they said keep driving it and ignore the non-ceramic brake pad sound (they could have lied and charged me for new brakes but they didn't). I only mention the dealership because the honest service I got from the manufacturer was half the experience of owning this car. THIS MODEL IS BULLET PROOF!!! It ran perfectly, was quick in city and highway driving, and had a smooth ride, and the seats were pretty comfortable and like new. The engine uses a timing chain so no need to worry about timing belts coming apart and causing damage. As you know, timing chains typically outlast the life of a car. I never had any problems with a/c, power windows, locks, or other stuff either. The trunk is pretty spacious and the rear seats fold down to extend the cargo capacity with a opening to the trunk. This is the little car that keeps going and going. I just sold it to a neighbor with 180k on it and he loves it too. If there was anything I could complain about it would be the low profile and it is hard to get in and out for larger / taller people. Rock chips on the front were pretty bad and it appears the paint doesn't hold up well over the years but my car was white so it didn't look bad at all. I put a cheap $30 "pleather" bra on the front and it looked pretty good. If you want a reliable car that will start every time, this is the car. I would drive this car to Alaska and back, no problem. Gas mileage in this car is awesome too. I would buy another one, and recommend this car to anyone. UPDATE: I sold this car to my neighbor who is still driving it...happily. He says its the most reliable car in his family.

Car of the century

dorell, 05/31/2015
VE 4dr Sedan

I'm happy with Corolla I got, because is very reliable, no ifs and buts about it. Also is excellent in gas mileage department, especially for the size of the car. I'm a tall guy, and I fit inside, just enough to be happy with it. A little smaller, and it would be a different opinion, and I'm 6"1. Another thing I didn't know about this car, is, that is very cheap to fix too, for an import. Easy access to all car parts, and also it has an amazingly big trunk. What can I say, except that I will try to upgrade the year of it, and that I recommend it , to all people, and more to ones that do a lot of driving to work every day.

Could not kill it!

themanindbox, 05/22/2013
LE 4dr Sedan

Well, I owned a 99 corolla from new until 2005 when I sold it for 4 grand. At that point it had a little over 315K miles on it, didn't burn oil, no lights, and everything that was in it worked. I had to replace oil every 3k miles, but that is about it. It handled better then a civic, got better mpg, and was faster off the line, not to mention cheaper to insure. I would love to get my hands on a 99 corolla with a blown motor with the options I had in mine, it is a perfect candidate for a 2zz swap. I have owned over 18 cars in my life, and nothing on the planet will take a beating like a Toyota. Not Honda, and nothing American can come close.

I love my Sandpiper!

taylorruckus, 10/15/2012
CE 4dr Sedan

My great-grandmother bought this car new, and when she passed it went onto my grandmother, and now it's mine. With 265,000 miles on it, this car is so unbelievably reliable! I have never broken down. Its only problems are a leak in the power steering fluid (an $800 fix, but no problem if you just top off the fluid every other week), broken interior lights and weak door handles that break every couple of years. This car is such a ridiculous value if you need something that will get you where you need to go-- and I get at least 29 miles to the gallon, sometimes more.

Love this car!

willkeepitforever, 08/22/2010
CE 4dr Sedan

My husbands car has almost 200,000 mi on it and you just can't kill it! It just goes forever if you keep up with oil changes every 3k and proper maint. I just wish they would make it roomier for people up to 5'8" -6' tall. That is truly the only complaint. I am only too happy to get a small economical car that is a good buy! Not to mention tremendous resale value. I spoke to two owners that have sold their 1999 Toyota Corolla's between $2,300.00 - 3,200.00. Just goes to show the public still has confidence in Toyota! I used to be a Honda person, but switched to Toyota after two of my Honda's needed a Transmission at 180,000 mi. - Bye Bye Honda! Just bought two more Toyotas for my family

Still the best!

Kelley King, 09/07/2015
CE 4dr Sedan

I am on my 5th Corolla. Bought a 2004 because my 1999 was totaled in an accident. I love the roominess of this year, and it runs just as smooth and reliably as all of my other Toyotas! Have had the 2004 a little over 3 years now. Had no real issues, but just this week I did a complete brake job. The mechanic even said that my rear brakes were the original ones! Runs smooth and quiet, sometimes it's so quiet I can't even tell it's running. The brake job is the only major project I've done, but I was expecting to need it at some point so I did it all. Can't fool around when it comes to brakes. I drive in a city environment so a lot of stop-and-go driving. I am going to stick with the Toyota brand. It fits my lifestyle and my budget. Easy and inexpensive to maintain. Great on gas. It is showing it's wear now, mainly because people have hit it with car doors and what not, and one day I came out to find a big dent. But it's only at 137K and running just fine, I expect to keep it until 200K, like the other Corolla's I've had.

This car is amazing!

rodnygil, 04/27/2010
LE 4dr Sedan

I bought this Corolla for 500 dollars with 60,000 from someone who hit a tree and left the car to sit in an alley. I purchased a new front bumper, headlights and windshield and fixed the car. I am still driving the car 3 years later and have put 70,000 miles later. The car runs strong, I have only bought tires, oil changes and a battery. This car is amazing and is great on gas. The car is a bit slow especially when merging on the freeway but what does a person expect from a Corolla. I will buy another Corolla without hesitation. Thank You Toyota. I love my cheap little car.

Trouble free and economical

bontempinc, 02/15/2003
VE 4dr Sedan

My '98 Corolla was a wonderful buy. 32 mpg in town and 41 highway. I could drive it for 9 hours without tiring. Changed the oil every 3000 miles and that was it.

Jane's sand colored car.

Jane Doe, 03/09/2002
LE 4dr Sedan

Great car, comfortable to drive.

Reliable commute car

Bo, 03/29/2006
VE 4dr Sedan

I have put 160K on it,in general its been reliable, no major problems. Its cheap to maintain and will run for long time. I have long commute and like to stay in fast lane all the time, enginee start burning oil when its about 120k, not very bad but the rear is "smoked", its very obvious on a white bumper. Also replaced the front struct at about 130k mile, I took it on to dirt road couple times on camping trips with few hundred pond load. Front hood paint has many large chips due to long hours on the road, steering wheel top portion wore out due to the sweat and sunshine, front windshield replaced due to cracks. Overall I recomand it to commuter who dont push it too hard

Great Car for the Money

basilisk4, 06/30/2003
CE 4dr Sedan

This is my second Corolla (the previous one having been a 1989), and I still love them. Despite what many car snobs have to say about the performance of the Corolla, I find it to be pretty darn good when you consider what else you get with this car -- safety and excellent reliability. The newer Corollas retain that safety and reliability and add a certain degree of style and performance, making for an overall excellent compact sedan.

Best bang for the hard earned buck

Carol B., 09/19/2018
VE 4dr Sedan

What does VE mean when you buy a 1999 Toyota Corolla sedan? It means very elemental. Which is just the way I like it. Simple and uncomplicated design. This car gets me where I want to go, which is why I bought it. No frills, but reliability. It's not perfect for sure. It seems lots of Toyota's suffer from paint oxidation due to not enough clear coat applied at the factory. Translation: peeling paint, which is not good. Also, the inside trim around the windows and doors cracks and eventually breaks off. And probably every Corolla owner knows about the cheapo door handles. I keep spare handles in my trunk. Other than the paint oxidation problem, I can live with the other issues. My 99' Corolla has 113,000 miles on it and I do my best to take good care of it. Another thing, it is relatively easy to fix minor problems yourself on this car. This 50+ yr. old female Corolla owner has replaced both inside and outside door handles, replaced the wiper fluid compartment, tail lights, wipers and air filters on my car. I'd change the oil myself ( my daddy taught me how), but I can't reach the oil plug from below. The 1999 Toyota Corolla VE is a no nonsense car for people who value substance over style.

I love my corolla

Mal, 05/22/2002
CE 4dr Sedan

This vehicle has been great. I haven't had a major problem and I drive 100 miles a day to work. I change the oil every 5K and have just installed platinum spark plugs. It is really reliable and I feel confident in it. We are considering purchasing a second one since my husband's gm car is really starting to die.

You Get Your Money's Worth

Dr. Storch, 08/18/2009
VE 4dr Sedan

This is the second 99 VE I have owned. The first one was totaled with 112K on the ODO and that car needed nothing. My current VE was purchased three years ago with 69K on the ODO. I now have 165K on the ODO and I only had to replace the alternator and the usual things like a battery and tires. The only problem I have now is that the CEL comes on indicating a problem within the EVAP system. This can be costly to repair. The car is now burning about a quart of oil every 500 miles. I always change the oil every 5k and listen to what my mechanic tells me. I happen to have a very honest mechanic which is very hard to find! If I can find one to replace this one for the right $ I will!

Good value

ilovemycorolla, 06/12/2003
LE 4dr Sedan

Great fuel economy, reliable,looks good,great car and a comfortable ride.

All around good car

AdamT180, 08/15/2003
LE 4dr Sedan

I have had my Corolla for nearly 2 years and have not had any major problems. It is a durable and reliable small sedan that can handle both city streets and rural highways with ease. The 4 cylinder engine provides adequete power and gets excellent gas mileage. The 4-speed automatic transmission is smooth. The rear seating area is tight, but otherwise the interior is comfortable and sturdy.

Flintstones' vehicle

Laura, 03/29/2005
VE 4dr Sedan

This bare-bones car runs and runs. Although the styling, road noise, and freeway handling leave a lot to be desired; the fuel economy, peppy street performance, and reliability are excellent.

Takes a Licking-keeps on ticking

You Got it TOYota, 08/31/2005
LE 4dr Sedan

We got this little toyota 99 le 4 door from a party that had got it from a salvage yard. At 72k miles it got hit on the pass. quarter panel, trunk, and rear bumper. It was repaired, you can't even tell it was ever in an accident. It drives like a dream, and don't have to tell you that 30+ mpg is excellent these days. So not only is it a great car, but it can take a hit. Esp. since it has side and front air bags in the le model...Go for it, Toyota !!1

Reliable workhorse

ncng, 01/26/2004
CE 4dr Sedan

This is my first car that I bought in 1999. It has been trouble free and very reliable ever since I bought it. LOVE IT!

reliable, reliable, reliable

shane, 01/24/2006
CE 4dr Sedan

As a college student, what I really want is something that is reliable (read = cheap to maintain), safe, and fuel efficient. The Corolla fits the bill.

Daughter's first car

alshoe, 03/25/2004
CE 4dr Sedan

Just purchased this car for our daughter used within the last week. It has 57,000 miles. Was looking for a reliable car, good safety rating and easy to drive. The Corolla definately fits this description. It has the 4 spd automatic, power windows and door locks. It has a pretty peppy 4 cylinder engine and expect good fuel economy. Climate controls work well. Should be a good car for our daughter.

I love my Toyota!

sfvguy, 11/17/2004
LE 4dr Sedan

Best car I've ever had. No problems in 5+ years and 75,000 miles! Would be hard for me to buy anything but a Toyota given the reliability and quality of this car!

Great Reliable Car

Piilani, 09/16/2005
CE 4dr Sedan

I know that everyone should maintain their car. Well, I haven't. My Toyota Corolla is at 145,000 miles and I have not once had it serviced. Very bad of me, but my Toyota has not failed me once. It is great on gas, and never breaks down. I have had some trouble with the doors and hood opening mechanisms, but after 7 years, SOMETHING should break down, right? I am a huge fan of Toyota. I have owned Volkswagon, Ford, and Dodge vehicles, all of which gave me problems. My next car will be a Toyota (if ever I need one!).

Can't Get More Car for Your Change

sky9820, 09/03/2002
CE 4dr Sedan

Cars being my hobby, I tested out the many models competing in this class. Although the Civic came the closest, it was a lot more expensive, the interior seemed a bit cheaper, and it was definitely not built for tall persons such as I. The Corolla felt much roomier. It came with the Gold Package and felt as close as you can get to a Lexus for change you'd find in your couch (almost). Yes, there are cheaper models, but none compare in reliability or quality. Coupled with a manual transmission (automatic felt a bit sluggish) its the greatest value on the market (and retains it for a while as well).

Tha Rolla Rules (if you are poor)

Jeremy Manginell, 05/03/2002
LE 4dr Sedan

It's really nothing special, but for overall value and reliability, there is not a better car. It's not too fun to drive, it's small, it's slow, but it will last forever and the mpg is excellent. If you have a small family or are a young professional, it is a great car to get started with.

Reliable

Farmer Sue, 12/22/2008
CE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new and have just over 175,000 miles on it. The only items I have replaced are the front struts, brakes, tires, and other routine maintenance items. Very reliable.

Two Thumbs Up and a Smile

Ody, 12/24/2008
CE 4dr Sedan

I was apprehensive when the dealer wanted me to look at my Corolla, always owned a mid-size Ford or GM, after testing it out all I wanted to do was sign on the line, even forgot to haggle the price down. For the first time in years I can't wait to get in the car and drive. It handles good in snow and ice, w/ easy recovery in a slide. The heat and ac are top quality and at 103k miles it's peppy and smooth. Love the drop down seats in the rear to expand the trunk. The cashier at the gas station though I had moved away! ;-) Did I mention the the stock stereo is more than you would ever expect out of this little gem?! Overall, great car for all ages and puts a smile on my face.

Best Car

Altin, 01/26/2009
CE 4dr Sedan

I graduated from school and I needed to buy a reliable used car. I chose a Toyota Corolla and I am very happy for it. My car had 97000 km ( 65000 mi) and so far I have done 6000 miles and it is great. The fuel economy and start it is great. We need to use our block heaters in Edmonton, but I didn't have a plug in and one day the temperature was -31 degrees Celsius (-24 F), but no problem, my reliable friend started. It is 10 year old but looks like new, because of superior quality that you find in a Toyota.

Great reliable car. I recommend it!

tobias, 12/29/2007
VE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car about 3.5 years ago when I was in college. It's been the only car I've owned. I wanted a car that would be reliable and not cost me much to maintain and that it has been! I have almost 100,000 miles on it. I just replaced the front brakes, but otherwise just basic maintenance. It's the VE which is VERY stripped down...doesn't even have intermittent whippers (I joke that the whippers have 2 speeds, fast and faster). The engine is loud on the highway, and I can tell the difference in pick up when I have passengers. But those are my biggest complaints. Overall I love this car!

Very Reliable

kctoyotaowner, 06/18/2009
LE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2000 after my H.S. graduation. I wanted something that would last me longer than a typical first car. I got what I wanted! This vehicle has carried me through several moves, college, and now a daily commute in my career. It handles well in snow and ice and have never had any issues with the A/C and heating. I have replaced the struts, tires, battery, and brakes - everything to be expected. I'm at 100,000+ and still going! Some loss of pickup with passengers but overall, a great car.

Wow you can't kill it

n/a, 07/20/2009
CE 4dr Sedan

250,000 miles and never have replaced anything except tires. If you want a car that lasts mechanically this is your car. I am not easy on cars and this one has never left me stranded, whether on long trips or 100 mph for half an hour. Worth its weight in gold.

I must have got the lemon

Jason, 07/24/2009
LE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car because of its reputation with reliability and good fuel economy. I put aside my thirst for a sporty car and decided this car would be more practical. However, this car has had the craziest electrical problems. With only 80,000 miles on the car, while driving on the highway, the speedometer dies and the transmission will not shift out of first gear. It only happens in the summer if it has been sitting in the sun, or if I am driving on the highway in the winter with the heater on, so heat is obviously a factor. No mechanic has been able to fix it and I have spent around 1,000 dollars trying to get this problem fixed.

Good

jsleesi, 06/11/2002
CE 4dr Sedan

Engine makes valve noise start in the morning. Dealer told me it is normal.

Good looks, fuel economy, comfort & perf

RWolsh, 06/18/2002
LE 4dr Sedan

It's no Mercedes, but for the value you can't beat it with any other car. It has great get-up-and-go, comfort even for a tall person, excellent looks and fuel economy is outstanding. The Toyota Corolla LE is the best choice if you want to save your money and not sacrafice the best things that are important to you...fully loaded options like pwr windows, locks, keyless remote entry w/alarm, cd disc changer w/AM/FM cassette, dual front and side air bags...a bargain you just can't beat.

bullet proof

Mr. D., 06/21/2002
LE 4dr Sedan

This car is bullet proof. After 50,000 miles there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. With a mix of freeway and city driving my average mpg is 31 for all miles so far.

Outstanding

Jacob, 07/20/2010
CE 4dr Sedan

I received this car from my aunt and uncle when I got my license. Since then, it's been in 2 wrecks (1 major, 1 minor) and it's still going strong. The mpg are amazing. I can get to and from Toledo (about 2 hour drive both ways) with only $20 bucks.

Small and Cute

Amorphis, 07/04/2002
CE 4dr Sedan

It's been good to me despite the abuse. It's small but comfortable, and cheap for a Toyota, I trust it will last for a long time. I had a 90 corolla before and it was a good car also, that's why I decided to stick with corolla's.

Good Basic Car!

ToyotasRule, 07/27/2002
CE 4dr Sedan

My Toyota Corolla has given me ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEMS for the entire time I've owned it. I've only changed the oil and filled it up with gas...nothing else. It gets AWESOME gas mileage...higher than 30 mpg on the freeway and close to 30 in the city. It is a good, simple, basic car. Nothing fancy about it. Toyota spent the money and time on building a reliable car here, not a fancy one.

What more could you ask for?!

Princess Jenny, 10/29/2002
CE 4dr Sedan

I love just driving this car. I came from a dodge shadow and there is no comparison. this car kicks some good stuff.

pretty cool, i think

kassad, 12/29/2002
LE 4dr Sedan

i bought this car with the purpose of doing pizza delivery - good job for a poor student, which on its turn defines the price range :). it's quite impressive overall - stable, maneuverable, comfortable, fuel efficient, very quiet inside, somewhat fast (i believe manual is better). also pw, pdl, pm, sunroof, etc. there are also some cons, of course, which cannot spoil the good impression. there could have been more front leg room, the arm rest is far behind and can't be really used unless your arm has some strange form and the ashtray and the cup holders are ridiculously positioned. the pros are much more though.

Nice Car

silvion, 01/24/2003
LE 4dr Sedan

I bought a used corolla. No problems but the ride quality is not that good. It rides rough even after me changing the shocks

Love my corolla

Dee Bee, 06/12/2003
LE 4dr Sedan

I think it is the most fuel efficient, reliable and hassle free compact car I could own for a competent price that too. I am glad I decided to buy it.

Good small car

Deb Geb, 07/11/2003
CE 4dr Sedan

My corolla is great for driving to work & short trips. It is a tight squeeze for a family of four with luggage.(I still have a lot of faith in Toyota & I'm leaning toward a camry for my next car).

Corolla Cares

Garry Poliakon, 02/26/2003
VE 4dr Sedan

The Corolla helps you without hassle or headache arrive at all necessary locations. With the savings in fuel economy and maintenance I am able to live a lifestyle that I enjoy.

Great Compact Car

MM678, 08/11/2003
CE 4dr Sedan

The 1999 Toyota Corolla is an excellent compact sedan that is safe, offers peppy engine performance, outstanding fuel economy and smooth, quiet operation. My experience with this vehicle has been wonderful and certainly affirms Toyota as the best auto manufacturer out there. I've driven many compact cars and nothing else can even compare.

Excellent Basic Transportation

Isophorone, 10/02/2003
CE 4dr Sedan

We bought our Corolla CE with auto new, and have 65,000 miles on it. It has great reliability, reasonable pickup, good turning circle, and good ergonomics. It can be uncomfortable on long trips. I don't know how tall people can drive it comfortably (I'm 5'7"). My carpool thinks it's cramped. The radio goes into scan mode without warning sometimes.

Buy One!!

sbj, 03/30/2005
VE 4dr Sedan

Bought this corolla 1 yr. ago for a daily commuter. It has been an awesome car. I put 25,000 miles on it with no problems. It is comfortable and fun to drive. The car has 100k, and it drives like new, still very tight. I expect to be able to drive this to 300k.

51050