Used 1999 Toyota Corolla Consumer Reviews

Used Corolla for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...8

Pros
Cons

Most Reliable Car ever Made!!

dblock1283, 10/31/2014
VE 4dr Sedan

This 1999 corolla is absolutely amazing. More reliable than any Honda I've owned. 200,000 miles, I've put on 40k of them in 2 years and only have done oil changes. The car is way more comfortable than civic or integra of same year, ride is smooth and power is sufficient.

Never owned such a great car

eddyman1983, 05/24/2013
CE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car last year with 200 000 km on it for 900 bucks. Changed the 4 shocks(didn't have to but back end sagged a bit) and changed the oil. Doesn't burn oil still and now has 240 000. I have never seen a car so reliable. car handles great, even better that my accord. Once a honda man, now a toyota man. I'll keep it until i fall through the floor.

Best Car in History

huaiti323, 11/26/2010
CE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car for $4000 almost 3 years ago. have changed only tires, filters and the serpentine. The a/c is amazing, the MPG are great. The only problems are cosmetic like the center drawer door broke and the interior roof covering is peeling off. I bought it in Florida and recently shipped it to Puerto Rico and it is still unstoppable with 168,000 miles and counting!

Bullet Proof

MtnRoad, 03/08/2016
LE 4dr Sedan

I purchased a used 1999 Toyota Corolla LE with a 1.8L 4spd automatic trans w/ OD in 2014 with approx 150,000 miles on it. It had been well taken care of by the previous owner, and I continued the same maintenance with regular oil changes, etc. I took it to Riverview Toyota in Mesa, AZ for my regular maintenance and they never fleeced me or recommended anything other than the oil changes and other regular maintenance. The brake pads were kind of making a slow grind and I took it into Riverview and they were honest and told me the previous owner didn't install ceramic brake pads (at a non Toyota shop) and the grind was nothing, don't worry about it they said keep driving it and ignore the non-ceramic brake pad sound (they could have lied and charged me for new brakes but they didn't). I only mention the dealership because the honest service I got from the manufacturer was half the experience of owning this car. THIS MODEL IS BULLET PROOF!!! It ran perfectly, was quick in city and highway driving, and had a smooth ride, and the seats were pretty comfortable and like new. The engine uses a timing chain so no need to worry about timing belts coming apart and causing damage. As you know, timing chains typically outlast the life of a car. I never had any problems with a/c, power windows, locks, or other stuff either. The trunk is pretty spacious and the rear seats fold down to extend the cargo capacity with a opening to the trunk. This is the little car that keeps going and going. I just sold it to a neighbor with 180k on it and he loves it too. If there was anything I could complain about it would be the low profile and it is hard to get in and out for larger / taller people. Rock chips on the front were pretty bad and it appears the paint doesn't hold up well over the years but my car was white so it didn't look bad at all. I put a cheap $30 "pleather" bra on the front and it looked pretty good. If you want a reliable car that will start every time, this is the car. I would drive this car to Alaska and back, no problem. Gas mileage in this car is awesome too. I would buy another one, and recommend this car to anyone. UPDATE: I sold this car to my neighbor who is still driving it...happily. He says its the most reliable car in his family.

Car of the century

dorell, 05/31/2015
VE 4dr Sedan

I'm happy with Corolla I got, because is very reliable, no ifs and buts about it. Also is excellent in gas mileage department, especially for the size of the car. I'm a tall guy, and I fit inside, just enough to be happy with it. A little smaller, and it would be a different opinion, and I'm 6"1. Another thing I didn't know about this car, is, that is very cheap to fix too, for an import. Easy access to all car parts, and also it has an amazingly big trunk. What can I say, except that I will try to upgrade the year of it, and that I recommend it , to all people, and more to ones that do a lot of driving to work every day.

Could not kill it!

themanindbox, 05/22/2013
LE 4dr Sedan

Well, I owned a 99 corolla from new until 2005 when I sold it for 4 grand. At that point it had a little over 315K miles on it, didn't burn oil, no lights, and everything that was in it worked. I had to replace oil every 3k miles, but that is about it. It handled better then a civic, got better mpg, and was faster off the line, not to mention cheaper to insure. I would love to get my hands on a 99 corolla with a blown motor with the options I had in mine, it is a perfect candidate for a 2zz swap. I have owned over 18 cars in my life, and nothing on the planet will take a beating like a Toyota. Not Honda, and nothing American can come close.

I love my Sandpiper!

taylorruckus, 10/15/2012
CE 4dr Sedan

My great-grandmother bought this car new, and when she passed it went onto my grandmother, and now it's mine. With 265,000 miles on it, this car is so unbelievably reliable! I have never broken down. Its only problems are a leak in the power steering fluid (an $800 fix, but no problem if you just top off the fluid every other week), broken interior lights and weak door handles that break every couple of years. This car is such a ridiculous value if you need something that will get you where you need to go-- and I get at least 29 miles to the gallon, sometimes more.

Love this car!

willkeepitforever, 08/22/2010
CE 4dr Sedan

My husbands car has almost 200,000 mi on it and you just can't kill it! It just goes forever if you keep up with oil changes every 3k and proper maint. I just wish they would make it roomier for people up to 5'8" -6' tall. That is truly the only complaint. I am only too happy to get a small economical car that is a good buy! Not to mention tremendous resale value. I spoke to two owners that have sold their 1999 Toyota Corolla's between $2,300.00 - 3,200.00. Just goes to show the public still has confidence in Toyota! I used to be a Honda person, but switched to Toyota after two of my Honda's needed a Transmission at 180,000 mi. - Bye Bye Honda! Just bought two more Toyotas for my family

Still the best!

Kelley King, 09/07/2015
CE 4dr Sedan

I am on my 5th Corolla. Bought a 2004 because my 1999 was totaled in an accident. I love the roominess of this year, and it runs just as smooth and reliably as all of my other Toyotas! Have had the 2004 a little over 3 years now. Had no real issues, but just this week I did a complete brake job. The mechanic even said that my rear brakes were the original ones! Runs smooth and quiet, sometimes it's so quiet I can't even tell it's running. The brake job is the only major project I've done, but I was expecting to need it at some point so I did it all. Can't fool around when it comes to brakes. I drive in a city environment so a lot of stop-and-go driving. I am going to stick with the Toyota brand. It fits my lifestyle and my budget. Easy and inexpensive to maintain. Great on gas. It is showing it's wear now, mainly because people have hit it with car doors and what not, and one day I came out to find a big dent. But it's only at 137K and running just fine, I expect to keep it until 200K, like the other Corolla's I've had.

This car is amazing!

rodnygil, 04/27/2010
LE 4dr Sedan

I bought this Corolla for 500 dollars with 60,000 from someone who hit a tree and left the car to sit in an alley. I purchased a new front bumper, headlights and windshield and fixed the car. I am still driving the car 3 years later and have put 70,000 miles later. The car runs strong, I have only bought tires, oil changes and a battery. This car is amazing and is great on gas. The car is a bit slow especially when merging on the freeway but what does a person expect from a Corolla. I will buy another Corolla without hesitation. Thank You Toyota. I love my cheap little car.

12345...8