2017 Tesla Model S Consumer Reviews - 11 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Tesla Model S Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Model S model:

Tesla Model S AWESOME
By Thadd Jennings

2017 Tesla Model S 90D 4dr Sedan AWD (electric DD)

I never thought I would be buying a Tesla. My business partner bought a Model P 100d. It was the fastest car I have ever been in. I have 2 Porsches and they are both turbos. To say thwart, I was impressed. I went and test drove a Tesla and bought one the next week! I love not having to buy gas!

"Range Anxiety" is the rule of the day
By jim long

2017 Tesla Model S 100D 4dr Sedan AWD (electric DD)

My wife and I loved everything about this car except for the gross overestimation by Tesla regarding the range that it would achieve on a full charge. That range did not even come close to the estimation of 335 miles that Tesla advertised. We were barely able to make a round trip between New York City and Philadelphia which is a little over 200 miles. And if the remaining available power was in the area of 10% at the end of our trip, it would take 12 hours or more to fully recharge the battery with our home unit. After owning the car for four months, we were forced to sell it at a significant loss primarily because of my wife's fear that she would run out of power and become stranded. If you do not do a lot of high speed, open road driving such as on turnpikes and parkways, this would be a great car for you. It's performance is like nothing else I have ever experienced, including the Porsche 911 that I own. But if you drive distances, and especially if you like to put the pedal down which this car practically begs you to do, my advice is to STAY AWAY.

Thinking about a Model S? JUST WAIT
By RJ

2017 Tesla Model S 90D 4dr Sedan AWD (electric DD)

The Model S is in many ways a great car...just don't expect all the functions to work all of the time. I've owned a Model S for 7 months. My salesperson told me that most Tesla buyers had never paid more than $40,000 on a vehicle. I was in that same boat. So, I expected a lot. Also, prior to the Model S, I owned Toyotas and Hondas, so I was used to reliability. But, two days after I took delivery, there was a computer glitch that prevented my car from moving and stranded me at work. Since then, I've had to call for service probably a dozen times. Most recently, my touchscreen will just blank out while I'm driving. Tesla has reviewed my car logs several times, but has been unable to fix this problem. The navigation system has frozen a few times, my streaming radio does not always work and my bluetooth audio just stopped working yesterday. Every few weeks, you'll get an update that purports to fix the recent problems, but in my experience, seems to cause a number of new problems. I have memorized how to reboot the touchscreen just like I used to do with my Pentium computer in the 90s. It may be that I just received a "bad apple." On the bright side, the car is stylish, the acceleration is very quick and the customer service reps are polite (even if they can't fix the problems). Tesla is like a new computer-company - they still have to work out the glitches.

Just an Amazing Car!
By Pete V.

2017 Tesla Model S 75D 4dr Sedan AWD (electric DD)

I custom ordered my car on Sept 1, from the factory and it was delivered on Sep 30, 2017. I have researched and saved up for the last 3 years to purchase this car. After owning it for the last 4 months, I enjoy every time I drive it, it's truly an AMAZING car! The power (0 to 60mph = 4.2 seconds for 75D), interactive functions, safety and the ride quality is unmatched for this starting price point (80k, with other options 90k) and ZERO emissions and Free Supercharging for life! That free supercharging alone can save you about $15k (100k miles @ $3.30/g super in CA), also no oil/filter changes. I also own a Jaguar, love to drive it UNTIL I purchased the Tesla, now I can't / don't want to drive it as it seems so outdated in all aspects. I would recommend anyone to test drive this car and see for yourself!

Impossible to compare to other cars
By Don Lathrop

2017 Tesla Model S 100D 4dr Sedan AWD (electric DD)

I read some of these other reviews on Edmunds. Some people miss the point. Comparing my Tesla S100D to a Mercedes or BMW is like comparing a horse to a bicycle. It makes no sense to me. I have owned expensive cars from all those companies. Since driving off in my Tesla I hope I never have to listen to a turbo, dual clutch, 9 speed, piston driven ANYTHING ever again. Period. To me, that would be like going back to a '52 Edsel. Electric is better than any of that. There is no ICE that is as smooth. Spare me the "Interior wasn't quite up to the standards of $100k car" lines - my white (vegan) leather interior is gorgeous. I will take the Tesla over anything offered on any other car lot because it is the best electric car on the market. With solar panels on my roof I pass the gas station and laugh at the electric company. When I tromp on the skinny pedal I have no guilt because I didn't just burn a half gallon of gas for a little thrill. It's all good. With all-wheel drive I can drive slick roads without a single worry about grip, it holds on like glue. What about the life-span of the vehicle? Nobody wants a 4 year old BMW with 50k miles because there are a million parts that can wear out or break and they cost a fortune to replace. That's why the resale sucks. Tesla's resale is superior because there are a fraction of the parts to go wrong. They estimate the battery pack will still have 80% or more of its power over 300k miles. Simpler can be better, and in this case it is. As I stated, you can't compare an electric car to one with pistons and transmissions and a tailpipe. Electric is better and it has nothing to do with overly complex luxury cars trying to stack up to what an electric car does best: Go fast smoothly and effeciently. Porche can't match Tesla's low center of gravity, not at any price. Rolls Royce can't make a smoother engine. Toyota can't make a piston car as energy efficient. Cadillac can't make a car quieter. THAT is why I love my Tesla and I don't find it comparable to other $100k luxury sedans. I will consider them in the future when they offer me something without the archaic pistons.