Used 2003 Suzuki Aerio Wagon Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Aerio for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Simplicity wins again.

Marlin Marx, 02/14/2016
SX Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Simple design, simple layout, simply genius. One of the all time best cars I have ever owned. Rugged, dependable, useful, economical, easy to work on, and FUN! It only had one dangerous problem. I bought it for cheap 18 months ago in the summer and put 2,000 miles on it by winter. Everything went well until it got really cold, and then the brakes literally "froze up." Rock hard pedal and no stopping! Scary! My brother suggested I plumb-in an extra length of heater hose and wrap it around the brake-power-booster. I did. No more hard pedal, not even at 25 degrees below zero. Now this little wonder is closer to perfect than it ever was! Update: It is now the fifth of March, 2017, and "Rattles," as my humorous wife calls the yellow ray of sunshine, is still going strong, although I had to finally break down and put struts, rear brakes, and rear anti-sway bar bushings on it. Small price to pay for all it does for us. It is our parts runner, loaner car, occasional clean metal scrap delivery mule, and otherwise general gopher and ever-ready default vehicle. It's like a Swiss Army Knife on wheels. I can't say enough good things about it. Precise Japanese engineering and eye-catching Italian design. What more could anyone ask for? Oh, and did I mention? It's good, clean fun! UPDATE 09/06/2017: Still going strong, although it might be time for a front end alignment because it's pulling a little to the left. Also, the plastic headlight housings must be about as el-cheapo as you can get because I have to work the cloudiness out of them about every three months. I looked up the price of new ones and found that they average $220 for the pair. Ouch. I watched a video about changing them, and discovered it takes several hours because you have to remove most of the front end body parts to do it. So I guess I'll keep sanding and polishing the old ones. But it's worth it. My wife and I took it (it took us, whatever) on a long drive through the countryside as part of our 33rd wedding anniversary celebration, and I was reminded of how good it sounds when downshifting to climb a hill or pass a farm tractor. Fun, fun, fun. And when we finally got home, the gas gauge needle had hardly moved. UPDATE 09/06/2018: Since the brakes aren't dangerous anymore in cold weather, we got to drive it enough last winter to really see how it handles snow. Despite it's overall lightness, low ground clearance, strictly street tires, and slightly over zealous first gear ratio, it did better than expected, even through as much as 4-5 inches of wet stuff, as long as we slowed way down, planned ahead for turns and stops, and prayed continually. During blizzards and such we used our 4x4 truck. Less white knuckles and prayers for our hearts to slow down. The little guy is still a blast in the summer though! UPDATE 03/06/2019: We are in a record breaking nasty winter with lots and lots of snow which has utterly overwhelmed our Aerio. It has spent most of the last four months buried under a fluffy white mountain. Before it disappeared I discovered it's factory alloy wheels must leak air in cold weather, but so slowly I didn't notice because I (shamefully) didn't check them regularly. When I filled them to proper pressure, most of the feeling that it needed an alignment went away. I will do better with that if I ever see it again. UPDATE 09/07/2019: Still going strong. Cold AC, hot heat, always starts, always goes. Loaded it down with multiple bags of garden dirt the other day, and it just squatted a little and soldiered home no problem. Occasionally it has a slight ticking sound in the engine for about two minutes after cold starts. I have come to know over time that means it's time for an oil change. The alloy wheels are now leaking air at all temps, all the time. I have tried to just clean alloy wheel rims in the past on other vehicles with limited success, so I located new Toyota steel wheels that are supposed to fit, on the internet, for $250 including tax and shipping. Is our Suki worth that? Oh yeah! 03/09/2020: Alas, our Suki threw a timing chain, and since it has an interference engine, we fear the worst. It is sitting on our car trailer until we either try to fix it, or convert it to an all-electric car; or sell parts off of it, and then scrap it. We never ordered the Toyota wheels for it, and we won't unless we are going to do the EV conversion. This could have been avoided if I were a better DIY mechanic..

Fantastic

S.K.T.Kumar, 11/16/2010

I bought this 2003 Suzuki Aerio as brand new. WoW. a lot to say about good thing. very roomy, so comfortable, very very good on gas on FWD vehicle. I had few problems on this car too. The wheel alignment goes bad so frequently. at least every year I have to do wheel alignment. Breaks are very good. Engine is so super. less noise compare to other cars on its class. The other problem is, The quality of the body, They made in cheap material. The front bomber get damaged easily. The side skirt that came with it as original also very cheap material. I don't have them in my car right now. They were flew away years ago. High way drive in fantastic. very comfortable view. Totally its a super car.

My reliable, can-do hatchback

D. Tom, 02/15/2016
SX AWD 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This car has been with me through 4 different house moves in 2 states. What impresses best is that the read seats fold down truly flat. I have fitted a washing machine and love seats, and a rolled futon mattress into this baby. Noisy ride - can't hear radio very well at times. Mechanically reliable for past 12 years, only clutch needed attention at 100k miles. I hope to get an even 200k miles out of this. Great value for the price!!

A Life Saver

becky03, 11/21/2011

I have been hit by 13 deer while driving this car. It has had its front bumper. hood and either fender replaced atleast 8-9 times. A racoon took out the front bumper once...The body could be of better material. The rest inside and out is original. After all this I have not been hurt and it is still running. 200,000 miles and all I have done is changed the oil regularly, the occasional alignment, new tires and just had the radiator flushed. Drove it 1800 miles to see family and am driving it back those 1800 miles. I expect to get another 100,000 miles.

Little Car, Many Annoyances

Handy Dude, 05/16/2010

The car is fun to drive especially around the city. Being small it isn't comfortable on long trips. The interior storage is well thought out. It has never stranded me fortunately, but I don't trust the car much. It's annoying and costly to own. It goes through tires every 20,000 miles max, even with alignments and rotation; the rear alignment lacks a key adjustment; brake rotators warp easily and brakes need replacing often; fuel economy of a big V8, and the AC belt tensioner is hard to replace and doesn't last long before it gets really noisy. The interior clock light goes off when the headlights are turned on and there other annoyances. The black velor door panels are hard to keep clean.

America's best kep secret

Dave7001_, 11/23/2002

Got a 5Sp- hard to find but worth the perseverance (not that the auto is bad, I just like to shift).

This Car Has Been A Great Friend To Me

Gilberts Lover, 12/31/2017
SX AWD 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Just as rare as it is to find that loyal, reliable and trustworrhy friend, you will find the 2003 Suzuki Aerio Wagon SXD. They stopped making these awesome cars but only God knows why. I love this car, it has been refreshingly reliable, fuel economy is awesome and I have only needed routine maintenance on it, and at 145k mi. that is great. Parking in SF is easy. I pick up all kinds of things with the cargo space. I will never buy a sedan after having a wagon. He sure isn't a looker, but old Gilbert has kept me safe and gotten me places in life- and I love the old boy for that.

Wonderful Car...LONG LASTING!

Zavier, 02/01/2018
SX Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased used instead wasting money on a monthly rental after my Jag crashed and had to fight tooth and nail to get paid from Allstate Insurance. So this was meant to be a temporary or lets say a fill-in car. So lets see I purchased it with 150k miles on it. Currently, at 200,000 on a car that was supposed to be meant to be basically a fill-in and disposable. I've changed the oil to full synthetic, had one $140 dollars repair to a RR Axle other than that, no-problems to speak of a great little car with more than enough room! Engine light have a tendency to stay on..but its a just a touchy fault mechanism. Leaving the hatch open no reason you couldn't move a sofa or furniture if needed. Pulled off a few points for lack of arm-rests for the driver and passenger, does makes it uncomfortable for exceptionally long rides..but hey, still a great car for short trips. Love the hatch compartments in the floor.

Amazing Dependability and Practical

Coach, 04/01/2018
SX Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

When it comes to dependability and longevity there are very few auto makers that can hold a candle these JAPANESE little gems. (Not Korean but JAPAN BUILT). ITS 2018 with Many of Suzuki's 2003 AERIO's are daily drivers with 300000+ miles are still going strong. Few US made as a result Demand still warrants a strong retail price. Maintainance cost is very very low. Change oil,,, brakes as needed, this car, will be around long time.

OK car but bad for the cold weather and snow driving

denis18, 07/08/2012

I bought this cat at 55K and sold at 92K miles on it when the bearing and brake pads needed change. The car is OK, but the engine light was on and off several times during my ownership of the car. Nothing serious was found and it looked like a computer glitch. The worst part is that the car is simply not designed for the cold weather and snow driving. At freezing temperatures all pneumatics go off, like locks, windows etc, and driving under snow is a lot of stress. Overall, the cars worth its price as long as you live in the warm climate all year around.

Kooky looks, but proves itself.

maxandcassiesdad, 11/02/2009

I picked this car up with 87,000 on it. It was cheap, and I needed a second car, that was small, economical, and a hatchback. We take our Shepherd and Boxer with us, ALOT!. I didn't give too much thought to it when I found it, except that it was in good shape, was a hatchback, and had a/c (we live in Florida). To my surprise, I've found this little car to be a real trooper. Strange looking, yes, and it does garner strange looks from passer-bys, but, the fold down rear seats, high roof line and enormous front doors have been much appreciated. We are not small people, I'm 6', partner is 6'4", and getting in and out is a breeze. Headroom is fantastic. It's been very reliable too. Good bargain.

Great Start Suzuki!

naima, 08/05/2003

The small footprint makes it easier to park and to get around. Even though it's small on the outside, there's ample leg and head room and plenty of space for hauling people and stuff inside. The engine is quite peppy. I have no problems merging on the highway or passing others. Some might find the digital dash a little distracting but it's easy to get used to. All in all, I find my SX to be a GREAT car for the price. If you're in the market for a great vehicle with lot of standard options, awesome safety ratings and is inexpensive to boot, the Aerio SX is a fantastic buy. It's a nice for a new family too. Hopefully I'll be driving my Suzuki for years to come.

my experiance driving the car

allen eberman, 10/22/2003

fun to drive and and satisfied with the pep and handlang.

Very good car

A. Smyth, 03/13/2006

I have put 36,000 miles on this car. So far it has been very reliable, but I have had some minor problems. The catalytic converter had to be replaced, and it's rattling again. Also, the overhead light shutoff failed twice. I had better replacement brake pads installed by dealer better than the originals. However, I enjoy every minute that I drive this car, Its handling is very good (did the Edmund's reviewer even drive it?), It is a better value and has a smoother ride than the Subaru Impreza. The all wheel drive is great. I would definitely buy another.

What a surprise!

d.a., 07/31/2009

Well, it's like falling into some "parallel" universe when you get in this car. It looks quite small, but once you're in, it feels cavernous. I like the way I feel like I'm sitting "high" even though it's a small car, and not an suv. I'm a BIG guy, 6'1", 230 pounds, and I have NO problem getting in and out. The drivers door is quite long, it opens wide and entry/exit is a breeze. Amazing little car. Didn't expect to fall in love with it like I have, it was just a "second" car purchase to have an extra car. Love, love, love it!

Love this car

joe, 04/01/2010

This car is the best car on the market and no one realized it, I own the 2003 aerio sx and I can't tell you how reliable this car is.

Great care for small people

anne myers, 07/17/2010

When first purchased had a problem with windshield wipers going off on a sunny day - did turn them on - keyless lock and interior dome light. Finally found the problem in the rear wiper electrical hookup. Fixed and not a problem since. 52,000 miles and just put new brakes on. Tires about one year ago. For a small person, women particularly it is a great car for driving and easy to handle. Great capacity for hauling when the rear seats are down for extra cargo space. Great mileage - go 400 hundred miles to New York state and still have 1/4 tank of gas left. My husband is 6 ft and I am 5 ft and the car fits us both.

Great car, cheap plastic

Lish, 09/23/2010

Overall I am very pleased with this car. It gets great gas mileage. It is compact, but is surprisingly roomy inside. I purchased this car used at 66k and am at 105k now and have never had a mechanical issue. I love the look of the vehicle, but I do think it sits too low. I have to be very careful in parking lots and driveways because the car will scrape.

Great Little Wagon

Salena, 11/08/2010

I'm a college student who needed a new car, and I lucked out with my Aerio. Both my father and I fell in love with this car within minutes of driving it for the first time, and after a few months of ownership, and a once over by Suzuki, I am happy to say I have not experienced any major problems. My radio had to be replaced upon purchase and the light in the temperature/clock display didn't work, not major problems. Found out this was a rental car before I owned it, so considering that its in great shape!

Love this car!

flboy_2008, 02/02/2008

I bought my car in October of 2004. It had about 22k miles when I bought it and currently has 114k. I really love this car. It drives like an expensive european car. Since I bought it I replaced the battery in the keychain and the cars battery. I also flush out the transmission ever 40k which I do to all the cars I own, and I change the oil every 3500 miles. The car requires low profile tires (because it handles like its on rails), I recommend Goodyear traction t/a's. I've been able to get 70k miles on them before replacing them. The original tires only lasted about 30k.

Fun for tiny bucks

jlandshark, 12/03/2002

I have around 10,000 miles on the car now. It has been a fun car to drive with great gas milage. For going to and from work it can not be beat. Lots of interesting looks and questions from others on the street. Way cheaper and faster than the Protege5 and the Matrix.

2003 SX Great car for the $'s

traisjag, 12/05/2002

1. Bought the car through the internet, best car purchase ever...save $'s and was in and out in 1.5 hours! 2. Great value for the dollar! Great room (I'm 6'1" and there is plenty of room, even for the back seat passengers) and features. 3. The ABS and AWD are a great team for the price. I just love this car, yes the style is different, but I like being different!

new review

Veronica2, 12/06/2002

Overall the vehicle is pleasant to drive, quiet and responsive. The 6- disc, 6 speaker cd player is great but causes the door panels to vibrate when loud or when bass is at optimum level. The back lit feature on the player is not a plus as it washes out in sunlight.

So far, so good....

jontyrees, 12/09/2002

I'm finding my '02 Aerio SX, (wagon), to be a very pleasant companion so far. I have the 5-speed, 0-60mph in the 8.0- 8.4 sec range will let you scoot past most of the behemoths on the road. It's incredibly manouverable, and the handling is ok if a little bit too softly sprung. Interior design and space management is excellent - with cargo space matching that of small to mid-size SUVs like the Saturn Vue and Nissan Xterra. The seats are comfortable and supportive, controls are well placed, and the digital dash is terrific for visibility and speed of comprehension. Overall, I really like this car.

My Aerio sx ( THis is the 2002 2wd )

philip bart, 12/19/2002

I travel all over the Houston and surrounding areas, putting on the average of about 250 miles per day. I drive this car hard. For the most part this car has outperformed itself. It has handled well in the rain, and has stood up to grid locked traffic in 100 degrees weather. I have taken turns around freeway corners at up to 85 miles an hour with ease. Coming equipped with low profile tires (195 55 15), I found a 60 to look better. I didn't like all the space in the wheel well. Overall this car is something I consider special even though it is completely built by maCHINES.

GREAT VALUE, PRICE, FUN AND RELIABLE

Tom Thompson, 06/11/2003

We have owned 5 Suzuki products and this is the best yet. Cute, fun to drive, low price with good warranty, comfortable, well laid out and reliable as usual. We checked out 5 other brands but kept coming back to the Aerio and are glad we did. It gets more economical each month and we have done some things to help this out. Keep up the good work

excellent

Jazmonia, 07/17/2003

I love riding it around town because is different and rarely seen. The turns are smooth and the ride is pleasant.

a fun little car for the wife

zaesar, 07/29/2003

it is a nice little car that is a lot of fun to drive.wish i had the headlights in my mustang gt.the only bad thing that i can say right now,it needs better tires these tires squeal if you corner just a lttle fast my next tire will be dunlop sp5000.so far lots of fun.

Very nice!!!

kiska, 08/01/2003

This is a little jewel. Fun to drive, squirts thru traffic & very comfortable. In Europe the car is known as the Liana, and kudos to Suzuki for bringing it to the states.

Interior great (except display panel)

acechikita, 08/01/2003

Okay, you have to understand I purchased this car for economical reasons. I drove an Integra that was quick and love to drive fast. This car is fairly zippy for fun driving downtown and is comfortable on highways. It's faster thasn the Protege 5, Toyota Camry and cheaper than a Civc once you add all of the sporty features. I'd like to try and sell it before my lease is up so I hope it holds it's value well!

Best in Class

hankr, 08/05/2003

Aerio beats the competition in comfort, roominess, power (esp low-end torque), offset crash tests, standard features, generous transferrable warranty and a low price. I cross-shopped many others and bought the Aerio; spent less, got more, with no regrets after 4 months. Don't be swayed by reviewers who simply dislike the styling &/or digital dash. This car is very competitive. It is what it is; an economy car. But see your way beyond Ford, Toyota and Honda when shopping in this class, and Suzuki has a very pleasant surprise for you; more car for much less money.

The Best Car I Have Ever Bought!

SeaKayakerBill, 08/05/2003

The car has more interior room than you think. Everyone who has seen it is very impressed. I look for reasons to drive it because it is so much fun. At first I was concerened about the ground clearance but after a few rough roads out here in Colorado it did just fine

Great Car, Bad Yokohama Tires

KenP, 08/16/2003

This is a great car to drive but the tires by Yokohama are terrible! Factory default on tires with only 600 miles and Yokohama would not stand behind them, even though their factory authorized dealer stated the tire was defective with tread separation! I had to purchase and pay for new tire with no payment from Yokohama and no help from Suzuki!

REAL 33.5 mpg

credto, 08/22/2003

I currently have 14,284 miles on my gas saving commuter. This car has a the comforts of a 20k car but sips gas like a Kia... my last tank of gas was $11.35 and I got 327 miles on that tank. The 6 disc 7 speaker stereo plays great, and I get alot more electronic bells and whistles than my wifes 2001 Subaru 2.5 rs, that cost 7k more.

Speed baby

Grabowski, 08/22/2003

WOO HOO, sit down, shut up, and hang on

ARIO SX RULES

ROCKY, 08/29/2003

This vehicle is a great looking sporty car that has plenty of room for cargo and passengers. Great gas mileage,easy handling with rapid response for power and maneuverability. Very comfortable whether you travel interstates or around town stop and go traffic.

Fun and Practical SX

misterc, 08/29/2003

Have had my Electric Yellow SX for about 3 months now and for the most part I am quite happy. Definitely a great value, lots of fun to drive and lots of room for 4 adults. Seats are very comfortable, acceleration is good although it gets a little noisy in the higher revs. 5 speed isn't as precise as Honda or Toyota, but it's not bad. For the money / features - can't complain!! Much less than a Cruiser or Vibe / Matrix and more features. Have added console, dash cover, front air deflector, door protection mouldings, rear cargo carpet and bumper strip - looks good !!!

Love the Aerio

HappyCSA, 08/30/2003

The Aerio is fun to drive and gets great gas mileage. It has a roomy interior with plenty of room for myself 2 teenagers and all of their stuff.

nice design but needs refinement

lngtonge18, 07/19/2003

Maybe I got a bad apple but I traded in my 03 SX 5 speed after 9500 miles. Front brakes clunked. Front door panels buzzed constantly. A loud dash rattle occured twice. The fog lights and hood were loose. And the car had an annoying driveline bucking problem combined with a loss of power. Fuel economy on the highway was a disappointment (29.5) and so was the power. The engine is way too loud (it isn't smooth either) and wind noise is loud starting at 60mph. The doors have a tinny sound quality to them and the fabric on the door panels started showing wear after only 3k. The Aerio is extremely roomy and comfortable though.

My Car ROCKS

his&hersAerios, 09/21/2003

My husband and I bought two Aerios in July. We both love them. He wrecked his after one payment and promptly replaced it with yet another Aerio. They are fun to drive so far! I have the standard comments on the + and - sides: + Zippy for the price, great sound, cute car, lots of storage, good gas mileage. - the door mouldings on the inside rattle. I can't configure the tilt and seat position to reach the gear shift properly so my shoulder hurts if I am in stop/go traffic. Other than that, we both love both cars.

this cars 4 u

sent2u, 10/21/2003

*****Very fun car/little suv.As much as i hate it, i WILL SELL MY CAR! Dealer went out of business in Little Rock , Arkansas so no place to get it serviced with in 60 miles!

My New Car

SuzukiKidA5, 11/04/2003

I have thoroughly enjoyed my suzuki. I am a past suzuki owner and have been impresseg with their line-up right from the days of the sj410 (samurai). The only drawback I see to the Aerio is the lack of aftermarket performane enhancements like an exhaust kit . K and N makes a typhoon kit for the car and it makes a bit of difference in the performance and a substantial difference in fuel economy. As I am a tall man, 6'3", I really appreciate the headroom in the front and back seat!!

Best for the money

aerio_sx_man, 12/20/2003

Well, it's only been three days since I purchased it, but I spent probably 40 hours researching this vehicle. What I needed was a second car that could get me to the airport weekly, make an occassional cross state drive (3 hours), and have the room for 2 adults and 2 small children when needed in a pinch. NOt mention the ability to drop the rear seats and create a huge bed for furniture, supplies or whatnot. This is that vehicle. I got rid of a 95 Taurus sedan for the Aerio SX AWD. It's economical, it's inexpensive, and with the 0% interest from Suzuki, it makes a compelling story to buy new vehicle versus used. Just my .02 cents.

great so far

tcw, 12/20/2003

Only minor complaints. Wish it got more than 25mpg. Wish seats were a little softer. Otherwise, great deal, great car so far. I hope the quality it seems to have means it will last as long as I'd like it to! Smooth transmission.

GREAT CAR

mysticcrab, 01/04/2004

Bought our 03 SX AWD in 8/02, now have over 30,000 on it and no problems. Made a trip from NY to NC and TEN., performed beautifully on road, hills were no problem for the peppy engine, also great gas mileage. Lots of leg room, and with back seats folded there is ample cargo space for larger items. We love our 03 and are will be going back to Suzuki when it is time to buy another one. We are very happy with this car and recommend it highly.

Nightmare Suzuki Aerio

jlfresearcher, 09/22/2005

I purchased my Aerio new in Feb. 2003 & absolutely love the way it handles in snow but it has been a lemon since the day I bought it. So far I have replaced the automatic transmission, California air emissions controls,the rear rim,I am not hard on a car. My front passenger side has been filled with rain water 4 times as the drainage hose from the hood to under the car keeps letting go & dumps the rain into the car. The base of my battery cable corroded & has taken over 2 weeks a new factory part. I feel like I have been on timeshare with my dealer. I should have relinquished the car after the 4th trip for the transmission prior to replacement. I'm out of warranty & it is getting expensive!

DRIVING IN THE COLORADO ROCKIES

DAVID STONER, 02/07/2004

When not commuting to work, I spend a lot of time heading for the slopes in Colorado. The car handles great in the snow and has enough zip to get up some of the steeper passes I encounter. There is plenty of room inside for four skiers plus our stuff. The sound system is great and because of its unusal design, it is easy to spot in parking lots. My only complaint are the Yokahama tires. I have already replaced two. Outside of that, and for the price, this wagon is terrific.

maybe my bad luck

suzuki user, 02/08/2004

We have replaced the transmission just after drove it for 4 months.And now we got a engin oil leakage.The dealer is aweful here.

Luv tha Bannana Slug!!

SlabCab, 03/23/2004

I'm 28 years old and I bought my 03 Electric Yellow Aerio SX wagona because of price and economy. Traded in my problematic 94 Cadillac Eldorado that I loved so much. Oh well. The Suzuki has proved to be a reliable, fun, and practical car. Plenty of power even in an automatic and great gas mileage. Includes a long list of standard features and extras, plenty of room and cubby holes. Great for traveling or hauling all my friends for a party night in Seattle. I was and still am surprised at the amount of attention this car gets. A real head turner!

Suzuki Aerio is underated

T. F. , 06/30/2006

This is our fourth Suzuki auto and we are pleased with it overall. We have no major complaints at this time.

51050