Used 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV Consumer Reviews - 74 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XV Crosstrek model:

If you really have to, just don't.
By SAM

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

If you're really set on getting a small, all-wheel drive, hatchback. Get the Impreza, or better yet, get another car completely. I bought mine with 7 miles on it in 2012, and drove it exclusively (minus all the times it was broken) till I traded it in in September 2018. The vent door in the dash broke just after warranty was up, during a drive to work through freezing fog. I had to keep my windshield washers on the entire 10 miles down the road. The car ate 3 CV axels (which is low for the amount of miles I put on the car since they were mostly highway miles), and countless quarts of oil. As in every 1000 miles I had to add another quart, and according to the dealer, this is considered "normal". I had a Toyota Camry with an actual oil leak, and I never had to add oil... It's too light to be useful in any slightly adverse weather scenario. I got stuck in a parking lot with only 3-5 inches of snow on the ground, and while driving home during an ice storm (it was WAY worse than predicted), we repeatedly got past by 2 wheel drive cars while even going 25 felt like we were going to fishtail and spin out of control. The CVT went out twice in a year (once on acceleration from a stop, the second time I was traveling 70 down the freeway). They finally replaced the whole thing, but with a re-manufactured transmission. The final straw was when the HVAC control panel apparently melted and air compressor also needed to be replaced. I was done with it. Traded it in for a used Toyota Corolla which will probably handle just as well in the snow. As far as the non-fatal issues: I could only get the light brown interior with the white (which was dumb, but not a huge issue), the bluetooth ended up crapping out and not connecting to phones. It would take a lot of hitting the "retry" button before it finally connected. The hydraulics on the hatch were starting to go out, and it was a pain to have to slam closed every time. The road noise was very loud, I often could talk to people via bluetooth while driving. The gas mileage wasn't what was promised. It wasn't horrible, just not the 30 mpg I was hoping for. The good points, because it actually did have a few: the ground clearance, it was supper comfortable for me and my passengers. The turning radius, one can get out of a lot of tight spaces without using a 4-point turn. And it had the option of a less techy sound system. And it kind of looks like a turtle from the side. I realize that I got the car the company made its employees come in on their day off to build, but to be safe, I say stay away from this model.

if you are buying a used crosstrek check history
By Connie

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Where do I start... First I'll tell you about the mechanical issues I've had. At 60,000 miles I had to have the lower part of the engine replaced do to leaking oil to the tune of 2 quarts a week. I've replaced both front axles, 3 of 4 wheel bearings. I will possibly be replacing the 4th tomorrow. I had trouble with it idling rough within the first few month I owned the car. The dealer I bought the car from has helped me out with a lot of this but still the frustration and irritation factor at dealing with all this has not been fun. This is my first Subaru and honestly it will be my last. I bought it after talking to others who absolutely loved their "Subies". Unfortunately my experience has not been pleasant at all. The other negatives are the seats are really uncomfortable for long drives, the windshield wipers aren't spaced right the passenger always has water left behind from wipers when it rains, the head lights are really dull on low beam, the inside of the windshield is hard to clean because of the angle and the ice metallic silver seems soft, the paint chips easily. On a positive note the MPG is decent. I love the heated seats. There is the perfect amount of room for me personally. I like the higher ground clearance. it makes it easier to get in and out of the car when you have a bad back. Part of the reason I bought the car was the low roof line so I could put my Kayaks on the roof easily. Also it is amazing in the snow and ice we get here in Pa. I also love the way the CVT transmission shifts. For a 4 cylinder engine it has plenty of pep. I don't have any issues merging onto highways or dealing with all the hills and mountains where I live.

Less than what we expected
By Paul Edwards

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We have had to replace the battery. The controls are not as easy as Toyota's. It's an OK vehicle, but we hoped for more.

Such a love/hate relationship
By Cameron

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

First off, we love our subie. She gets us where we need to go. Never complains and never fails to do so. I'll admit, I graduated from the Subaru class of the early 2000s when the engines were crap and I wanted to drive the car off a cliff for the insurance money. I was hesitant to get anther but my wife insisted that we get something safe and reliable. Alas, we settled on a 2013 certified pre-owned and have been more than pleased. Sure, it has its quirks. MPG is not the greatest but we live in the city. On the highway she purrs like a kitten and gets us roughly 30-32 MPG. Bear in mind that we use non-ethanol gas. We had a funky issue with a brake light sensor going out and it totally confused the brain of the car and wouldn't let us shift out of park. However, I took it to the dealership and they knew right away what the issue was and resolved quickly. There could definitely be more legroom for a 6'1" 250lb dude but my wife fits in perfectly. It does blow my mind there is no cargo light in the trunk. The hate part is that their expensive to maintain. Will be buy another crosstrek? bet your <span style="color: rgb(38, 50, 56); font-family: Roboto, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; white-space: normal;">[non-permissible content removed]</span> we will. The 2018s are good lookin. For now, we're not ready to retire 2013. She's got 75,000 miles and still runnin' like a champ.

transmission failed at 113,000
By Todd

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

don't buy this car. Bought it new and transmission failed. I did all the preventive maintenance. Should have learned from my 1st Subaru that died on me at 110,000 miles. I will be buying a rav4 now because I have lost thousands of dollars. The cost to fix the transmission would be 3 grand. no way jose