Used 2016 Subaru WRX Sedan Consumer Reviews - 30 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Subaru WRX Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific WRX model:

108K miles. Purchased in late 2015. A reflection
By Max

2016 Subaru WRX Sedan 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I got the car in October 2015. Right off the bat I loved it, dealer serviced its whole life, no issues until about 70K. At around this time I had a washer in the center differential "explode" as my tech at the time and now personal friend said. I was past my warranty and Subaru ended up doing a one time good will on it and saved me from an $1800.00 repair bill. No one knew why it happened and it was something that never happened before apparently. Got the car back and all was well up to about 100k miles(prior a recirculating valve hose popped off, but no biggie). At this point my throw out bearing was failing and I thought they would have replaced it when they had the transmission off the first time, as it had a service bulletin/limited recall on it. That was not the case, even though I brought it to their attention prior. Asked Subaru of America to maybe help out a bit, they declined (oh well, was worth asking). Threw in a new clutch and flywheel (Clutchmasters fx200 kevlar and ACT fly wheel) because, well I'm paying to have it off at 100K miles, why not just change it now then in 40 down the road? Then that TOB bearing broke off a piece and collapsed the clutch over the course of 4000 or so miles, this isn't so much a reflection of Subaru at this point but is something to keep in mind about choice of clutch when it comes time to change yours if you buy used. Over all though, you will notice that the clutch and 6 speed transmission are the bulk of the problems with FA20DIT WRX's. So if you're buying one, just know that it's the least reliable car of one of the most reliable brands, it's a sports car with 4 doors, and it needs often more aggressive then suggested maintenance to get the most out of it. With that said it is a fantastic car over all. With aggressive tires it will refuse to break traction, and the AWD 40/60 takes off like a bat out of hell. With the new engine platform you can expect often times better then advertised gas mileage(30~41) mpg hwy with normal tires) too if you have enough self control to not keep it in boost all the time. The gearing isn't optimal(not terrible) as some more qualified reviewers could explain if they put it head to head with the old 5spd. Big fan of the twin scroll turbo as well, super punchy in the lower mid range, but drops off on the top of the revs. If you go hard in corners, your tires won't last long either (40K on a summer Hankooks) The Subaru Bluetooth can get a little jenky if you have odd ball phones, other then that it all works fine. Most my miles are highway in FL so this will have a lot to do with what temperatures, miles, environment that this particular car has seen. I drive it spiritedly, but no launches or abuse. Hope this helps anyone looking to buy make a more informed decision.

Fun to Drive
By Robert Stewart

2016 Subaru WRX Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Great mileage for this type of sports car

A fun car, just know what it is you're buying...
By Dovolmoy

2016 Subaru WRX Sedan 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Okay, I'm a Subie driver, and the Rex is a Goddess. That being said, you have to really know what the WRX family really is, a boatload of fun, great, evolved drivetrain, amazing handling and all of the things that remind you it's a Subie on a daily basis. Hmmm...what do I mean by that?

Okay, here's the deal, I've been a Subie driver for a while, I'm used to uh...less than opulent interior appointments, road noise and of course because I live in New England, potholes, other cars in its class are far more sparing on one's senses. I'm one of those guys with a sort of "Auto Union" envy. My car is in the same price class, but where the GTI is refined as only VW can, my car is uh, less refined.

Why the Rex? It's simple, it's just a straight-up car, 6 speed, Symmetrical AWD, fun machine, a total beast when called upon and just plain solid car at leisure. I spent a couple of extra bucks for fog lights and what I consider an adequate car system. No really cool stuff like the GTI, just a straight up car. All of the ventilation works adequately.

Sure there are days when I wish I had a bit more luxury, but the Rex is a trade-off, it's just a blast compared to the other cars I drove (GTI and Focus ST). If I wanted an automatic and a bit more creature comfort, I'd probably end up with....(drumroll please)...I have not a clue, but I've been driving Subie for a long time. I'd probably end up with a Forester XT.

Practical and a blast to drive.
By Robert Van Ackooy

2016 Subaru WRX Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

This is my second AWD turbo (I had a 91 Eagle Talon TSi AWD for about 16 years) and first with an automatic. I picked up my white WRX in August of 2015. I love a manual with AWD, but with a 5 speed Mach 1 as my other car, I wanted one of my cars to be an automatic. The CVT in the WRX really mimics a manual very well. Responsive and not too smooth, so that you feel like you are driving a performance car and not a family sedan. Not gonna deny that a manual would be awesome in this car, but the CVT is not time spent in the penalty box at all. The technology in this car is pretty amazing. Never thought I would ever drive a fun, sporty car like this with so many bells and whistles. Lots of safety technology too. Maybe my all time favorite interior (I like it even better than my previous 2011 VW GTI). Seats are comfortable and the instrumentation looks terrific in red. The upgraded (HK) stereo really sounds amazing. The car is fast and feels fast. Very satisfying to drive. Love the signature hood scoop and the quad exhaust looks very sharp. I haven't had one regret about buying this car. Practical (4 doors, plenty of rear seat space, spacious trunk), safe (blind spot monitoring, lane change alert, rear camera, awesome AWD), and fun (great acceleration, nice exhaust note, athletic handling) all combine to make this car a total package. No boring drives in a WRX.

Update (2/8/18): I had a Borla Catback Exhaust installed recently and it made a big difference in the sound. Factory exhaust was fine, but a bit tame. The Borla Exhaust added more tone and a lot more personality to the car. It simply has made a fun car to drive, even more fun to drive. Not “over the top” loud, but definitely noticeable in a good way.

Update (8/10/18). The addition of the aftermarket catback (Borla) has continued to impress me and transform this CVT equiped WRX into a great sounding car. The extra tones coming out of the exhaust make you feel like you are driving a manual WRX. The CVT’s attempt to mimic shift points is enhanced by the rewarding growl of the exhaust. It is as much fun to drive now as my 5 speed manual 2003 Mustang Mach 1. Particularly in 8 speed sport sharp mode.

Plenty of performance, awesome AWD, practicality of 4 doors/roomy back seats, and now a sound to match the performance make this car a cut above the rest.

2016 WRX 1 year and 26,000 miles later
By valerysbills@gmail.com

2016 Subaru WRX Sedan Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought one after being urban and car-free for 2 years. Had SAAB turbos before and wanted something fun with a stick which is becoming harder and harder to get in the US. Always wanted a WRX and was hoping for a 2nd hand clean STI which turned out harder to find than I though. Bought new since the Prem was within my budget (should have ordered Limited for the lights alone). The Good: Nothing offers AWD and this much fun for the price. Tons of aftermarket goodies for tuning. Good fuel economy for a near 300 hp car. Little turbo lag. Beast in the snow when I put snow tires on it. Far better interior quality than that FisherPrice plastics that Subies have been known for. The Bad: Interior is still cheap with a lot of rattles. Stock ECU tune is crap... falls flat on its face at 4,300 rpm and a COBB tune is a must (or a pro-tune). Headlights on prem and base have poor output. Interior ergonomics are 3/10.... One-touch window for driver only (in 2016!!!), no light sensor to adjust dashboard brightness (in 2016!!!!). A lot of engine movement which leads to sloppy shifter feel. Good car for the money but you will spend a lot of time and $$$ on aftermarket bits to remove/resolve some of the penny pinching that Subaru did.