2018 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews - 98 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2018 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Problems with the 2018 Subaru Outback
By L. Lawrence

2018 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have had the most difficult time with this car. I have taken my 2018 Subaru Outback in for violently swaying side to side when driving at 65 mph and hitting bumps in the road. It hops and skips into the adjoining lane. I have been at the dealership 4 times on this condition and each time have been told this is the way a vehicle is supposed to drive or they can't duplicate the problem therefore they can't fix it. When we went on a test drive they only took me on nicely paved roads. So finally I had to call the 800-subaru3 number and spoke with Richard Ambrose, only to have him tell me that because they can't duplicate the problem that it does not qualify for the lemon law. I asked to speak to his supervisor and he would not let me. He said he did not have a supervisor. I went to other professional alignment companies that drove my car and told me they can feel the swaying as. But Subaru can't find it???? I am afraid to drive this vehicle. I am a single woman with children who travels to Chicago and I am afraid to drive this vehicle. These people do not care at all, they sold their car and that is the end of it. There are many other people online who are saying the same thing about these cars swaying back and forth. I showed the dealership these online complaints. They didn't care. I had problems with the seat belt retracting. They said as long as the seatbelt is in the down position for shorter people that it catches on the seat and doesn't retract. What????

First Subaru - probably not my last
By sheehanje

2018 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I initially was looking for a used car for my wife. How I ended up with a brand new 2018 Subaru Outback is still a little tall tale. In searching for a used car for her, I test drove a 2011 Outback, and loved all the boxes it checked for me: excellent cargo room, good roof rack system, decent mileage, good inclimate weather driving, safety, comfort. I just couldn't get over how this car had more cargo room then my Rogue. I decide I'd purchase the 2011 for myself and give my wife the Rogue seeing she likes it. After not getting a good rate or warranty for the 2011, I decided to look new. I ended up with a 2018 Outback 2.5 Premium with Eyesight, Remote Start, and a few other options added in. I love it. My two biggest complaints are the Infotainment system can glitch once in a while, but not catastrophically - and the remote start has the odd "feature" of turning off the car when you open the door. Odd behavior/system, but not enough to deduct a star. Most useful feature I wasn't even look at has to be adaptive cruise control. I use cruise control A LOT - and after a few trips with adaptive cruise control, I'm sold on it. I didn't have to fiddle with the controls once on two 50 mile trips. Seeing it's the middle of summer, other then a camping trip coming up on some pretty easy dirt trails, I won't get a sense of what the Outback can do in a US Northeast winter - but from everything I've heard it's going to be probably the best driving car I've ever owned in inclimate weather. I'm so glad I came across the Outback - it's comfortable, it will do a family camping trip easy, and it has some useful features I didn't even know I was looking for. Oh - roof rack system is great with the swivel crossbars, don't know why more cars don't incorporate that.

Nice Car, A Few Quibbles
By Ron

2018 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Rented this vehicle for 10 days and put some 2800 miles on it. Driving was 80% highway, 20% local. The highway miles consisted of some curvy moutain driving in NC, VA, and W VA. PROS: 1. Nice ride, decent acceleration (motor is loud on hard acceleration), comfortable driving position, good handling and lots of storage for suitcases and other assorted travel junk. Those who occasionally rode in the back seat appreciated the comfort and spaciousness. 2. The gas mileage was surprisingly good, exceeding 30mpg on high speed interstate driving on a couple of tankfuls. 3. Liked the Eye Sight feature which automatically slowed down for slower moving traffic when on cruise controls. 4. The lane wandering beeps were annoying at first, but got used to them. Good safety feature. 5. Last but not least: Security of AWD. CONS: 1. Used to driving a Forester at home (175k miles), so the outward visibility seemed constricted in this Outback. 2. Also, the rear headrests obscured about 30% of the rearward visibility (I ended up removing them). 3. The side view mirrors were oddly shaped and didn't give a decent view rearward, in my opinion. 4. There was more air and road noise, especially on less than the smoothest roads than I would have expected from a $30K+ vehicle. 5. The lights and wiper controls are still the traditional ones that stick out from each side of the steering column. The steering wheel spokes are very wide, and partially obscure these stalks, so that if not totally familiar by touch with each setting, the driver's eyes have to be taken off the road to choose them. THIS IS A SERIOUS SAFETY ISSUE, IN MY OPINION. WOULD I BUY THIS CAR? A qualified "yes", but I'd look at others AWDs in this price range also, even though I realize that Subaru is the only mass market AWD all the time vehicle.

Ruby Suby
By G. Nance

2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl CVT)

My second Outback - been driving MB and BMW's will never go back - Will always own an Outback - my wife drives an X3 and while it out handles the Outback the overall performance, comfort and tech features are own by the Outback. May own two at some point. LOL Great car, SUV and/or station-wagon .

ALMOST PEREFECT
By Quyen

2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl CVT)

When you are 70's years old and lost your beloved 150,000 miles sedan in the hurricane Harvey 2017 in Houston, nothing matched your needs like an Outback 3.6R. The engine is powerful but thrifty, the vehicle is compact but plenty of room, the comfort is at your finger and the high-tech is elaborated but understandable (after a while). There are a few complaints though: Vibration on and off at the steering wheel when the speed is above 60. Emergency brake is too sudden and late. Outside noise is acceptable and not great. I am not impressed with the Eye-Sight system, the vehicle veered left and right like a drunk, sometimes it forgot to straighten itself and went into the next lane. It took me 3 trips to the dealer to make the Harman Kardon CD system operated as it supposed to be and the Blue Tooth phone system is still unable to hold its favorite list for more than a day. I still have until this September 2018 to have all these defects fixed. The next review might be completely different, [contact information removed]