2018 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews - 143 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2018 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

2nd Subi
By Steve

2018 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

The cruise, lane assist and auto/emer braking are like having an autopilot on the freeway, it's amazing to feel it working even though I keep my hands on the wheel!

5 Stars only if…
By Todd Donaghy

2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl CVT)

Great car, only issue is the Head Unit. It completely died; no radio, no back-up camera, no navigation. SOA has been working with me, unfortunately the new units with the updated software won’t be sent to dealerships for about 3 weeks. Grand Prix Subaru has been great, put me in a courtesy car until the problem is fixed. A bit of a headache. I do love the way the car drives and it’s beyond comfortable. Coming from a 2012 Pathfinder this handles like a sports car.

Extremely Disappointing
By Diana Buckley

2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl CVT)

The Head Unit which basically controls everything on the screen is completely broken which means there is no navigation system, no map, no radio, no cd player, and no Carplay. The screen is totally black. We understand that things like this can happen, but what is not okay is the response of the dealer - or Subaru itself. We were told that the new systems are on "back order" with absolutely no approximate time when it could be replaced. Literally, this could be months. The system is made by Harman Kardon and according to our dealer, there are no replacements available. We don't know what that really means but it seems ridiculous to have paid as much money as we did - we specifically waited for the 2018 model to get Carplay - and not have it functional or fixed. What is most frustrating is that we have been complaining to the dealer for months about problems with the system (shutting down without warning, but then coming back up, map cutting out suddenly, carplay not working, etc). Nothing was done to repair this - we even asked about getting a new system. It wasn't until the screen became completely black they are saying that it needs to be replaced. We will say that we like the car, the comfort, and how it drives. We did a lot of research before buying this (it is our first Subaru) but are incredibly disappointed at this point.

Best choice
By Richard Olsen

2018 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Its best choice I have ever made

Nationwide Backorder on Head Units for the Outback
By Scatback 43

2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl CVT)

The built in Tom Tom navigation on my 2018 touring has always been wildly, and sometimes dangerously, inaccurate. The headunit on mine (and on many others judging by comments) froze within a week of purchase, but that was resolved by a software update. The navigation was no better, but it was there. Now, however, the screen has gone black. No navigation, no backup camera, no access to settings. The dealer tells me this problem is so common that there is a nation wide backorder for the necessary part; four to six weeks, he tells me. The internet is packed with complaints about this from other owners, so the list (I'm 4th in line at the local dealer) is only going to grow. It is a safety issue because rear proximity as well as backup are gone. Beware.