Used 2016 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews - 206 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Disappointed with Subaru response
By Henry Duchscherer jr

2016 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I had a rear wheel bearing go out at 50,000 and they fixed it under warranty with no problems. It's the issue with the screen on the dashboard that has me frustrated with Subaru's response. My screen developed wavy lines at about 35,000 with are visible even when the car is off. In sunlight they make it so you can't read the screen. I took it to my Subaru dealer and they said it was on all of them and normal. Both my sisters and two friends have Subaru's and they do not have the same problem. I took it to Subaru Corporate and after sending pictures the guy said he had never seen that. I had to go back to my dealership for verification and again the dealership said it was normal and if they replaced it , it would do it again. It's a $1600 repair and Subaru Corporate said they would give me $1000 towards it, so they admit that is isn't right. It's too bad Subaru won't stand behind their product anymore, I was an advocate for the brand for many many years but it's time to find a new car company.

I want top of the line with NO leather!
By C A Shields

2016 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Why doesn't Suburu offer top premium package without having to get leather???? My only real problem with 2016 outback is that the phone connectivity does not work very well. Also I noticed that sometimes defrost not great.

Should have been a recall
By CTherrell

2016 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Just after my 36000 mile warranty expired, I began having trouble getting the key out of the ignition when I stop. Happened at least 50% of the time. I went online and saw others are having the problem. Took it to the dealer and they said they had been seeing these complaints for the last 4 months. While they were willing to work with me on the price, they were not willing to fix a known defect at no charge. Subaru does not stand behind their product. These cars should have been recalled and fixed. I am very disappointed with Subaru. They do not stand behind their product.

Disappointed with so much
By Marlene

2016 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Before you consider a Subaru Outback there are some issues I experienced that you may want to consider. It's a good thing that the warranty is three years because I had an issue in the first year. It was covered and the service was great. They tout safety, but I take issue with a few safety things about the car. First, I was used to being able to touch the driver's door handle twice to open all doors. When I asked if there was a setting that would allow for this amenity I was told it was for my own safety that you must open the drivers door and hit a button to open the other doors. First, I think it should be an option what I want to do because perhaps I have a child who I would like to be safe as well and it would be important that she get into the car as quickly as I do. Also, very unhandy to have to go through this to put anything in the back seat. I know I can press the key fob, but that's if I can find it in the bottom of my bag. Second safety issue is the back up camera is terrible in anything but pretty, sunny weather. Snow, forget about it. Rain, even worse. Worst backup camera I've ever had. The back hatch doesn't respond consistently. When I complained about it at the dealership they said, "Yeah, we know." The navigation is super hard to program and doesn't recognize voices. I tried three different friends and finally we gave up trying to program it. Overall, it's an okay car, but it ain't all that. Good gas mileage. Oh, and the seats are pretty low for people with long legs. I won't buy another one.

Great utility not so comfortable
By Tom Morris

2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl CVT)

I likever everything about the car except the front seats are not comfortable on long trips, I had to get cushions to sit on.