Used 2016 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews - 201 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Need to buy flip/flops and grow a scraggly beard
By Fermis Whacker

2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl CVT)

nice car - electronic extras difficult to use for an old guy

The Outback Ain't what it used to be
By Abe

2016 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I bought this car new, top of line, with all options, Eyesight etc. I've now driven it for 28 months. Its the 4th consecutive Subaru Outback I've owned. Its one of the most disappointing cars I've ever bought. Here's the quick list of buyer-beware issues, none of which the Subaru dealer is at all inclined to help me address: 1) Th gas mileage sucks. I get between 19-22 mpg on summer roads, perfect conditions. I've tracked the mileage and fuel in a spreadsheet since purchasing. The car has an EPA rating of 27-34 mpg. My last outback got 27. 2) At 20k miles I started hearing a bobbling noise in the front suspension, both wheels. Dealer insists all is fine. Googling shows its a common complaint. 3) at 20k miles the factory tires were shot. 4) the CVT transmission is awkward at best. Try to do a quick K-turn and it leaves you waiting in limbo in the middle of the street while it tries to find a forward gear after reverse. On a hill? You'll slide backwards for a second or two before it finds a gear. Driving at idle speed? It jerks and coughs. Dealer says this is all normal. 5) The Electronics system/Starlink is miserable. Navigation is not useable. Phone connection launches programs like Pandora, even if I dont have an account and cancels my phone calls mid call to launch it. etc. 6) The Eyesight system is unreliable. Fast approach a stopped object? Sometimes you get a warning, sometimes you don't. Cross your fingers. But 20% unreliability = 100% no trust. 7) the battery dies, all the time. I park, I sit in the car on a phone call for 30 min, car is dead. Dealer says its because the FOB is too close. If that's true, that's a bad design. Apparently cannot sit in your own car unless it is running. Google shows many complaints but dealer says nothing is wrong with battery. Overall, my sense is Subaru cut major corners to bring this car in at its pricepoint. I wanted the price point, but I also wanted the Subaru I knew over the last 20 years. I would have rather been priced out for the quality than misled into a lemon.

2016 Outback
By Deryk Thompson

2016 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

We are huge Subaru lovers in this family, for many reasons. It’s all about value for the money, reliability, and the peace-of-mind of Subaru’s all-wheel drive system. Having had two Outbacks so far (one as a work vehicle and this one), 2 Foresters, we can’t say enough about how much we love these vehicles. They make some of the best vehicles on the road today. We can’t say enough about the outstanding service we receive at Faulkner Subaru of Mechanicsburg. You may pay a bit more for service there (compared to other service centers), but we can’t say enough about how well we are treated, the quality of service and positive experience with their service staff, loaner cars when ours are in for a more extensive service, etc. I would recommend Faulkner Subaru of Mechanicsburg to anyone for outstanding vehicle sales and service.

Just ok
By Marina Keenan

2016 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

As my first Subaru and all the serious hype about how great this car is, I was personally very disappointed. Initially I was disappointed the limited had neither a panoramic sunroof, heated steering wheel and power folding mirrors. The interior pocket room is very minimal. Glove and center compartment very small. I did not find it works for me as a parent of young kids. The backseat is small. The spacing barely contains a convertible reverse facing child safety seat. The materials are cheap and feel cheap. MY MAJOR COMPLAINTS and reasons I am offloading my Subaru are: THE BATTERY my car came with a 325 amp battery out of the factory. I live in NE. It's cold. The car is high electronics. The crank power of that battery was not sufficient. Imagine my amusement when the day before xmas eve in a snow storm I am stuck at work because my car wont start. Upon replacing the battery in my practically brand new car the passenger side window stopped working. Easy fix at dealer but still the inconvenience of getting to the dealer. THE STARTER the remote starter is AWFUL. The range is very poor and it only works 50% of the time. Dealer refuses to replace. THE ACCELERATION Sometimes, when it's cold the car does not accelerate as it should. It seems to really struggle. THE SOFTWARE UPDATES my car started stalling and chugging. It turned out to need some software fix. Yet another trip to the dealer with a brand new car. THE BLUETOOTH extremely finicky. Sometimes it just drops connection midcall and won't reconnect. No idea why.

Young women tell me how much they like the looks
By Bake

2016 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

The safety features are outstanding! I don't think anyone has done it better. The size is just right. It has great maneuverability and still has lots of easy loading cargo area. I have had young women tell me in the parking lot how much they like the looks of my car. The price was good and the resale value is good as well. The bottom line is that I have owned quite a few cars but none that I have liked better than this one. Did I mention the great safety features?