2015 Subaru Outback SUV Consumer Reviews - 139 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2015 Subaru Outback SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Vehicle dangerous on grades
By Richard Wright

2015 Subaru Outback SUV 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Subaru software for transmission is ridiculous as car will role back immediately on any kind of slight grade when your foot is lifted from the brake pedal. It is like having a stick shift but you don't have a clutch to engage. The choice is to drive with left foot on brake and right foot on gas. There is a hill holder but even that only works marginally. The entire transmission is controlled by computer software so there is no reason for this dangerous situation to be present. We sold this vehicle after one year and purchased a Toyota Highlander which automatically holds on grade for about 5 seconds so you have time to move from the brake to the gas without fear of hitting something or person behind you. Complained to dealer but was told all was normal . No fix. Had software flashed but problem not corrected. Navigation system not intuitive at all. Backup camera very hard to use as limit lines in camera view would not be present unless you agreed with permission screen at each time you started the car. Juvenile in thinking yet missed the obvious warning about no hold on a grade.

Dead battery problem
By Terry

2015 Subaru Outback SUV 3.6R Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl CVT)

When I returned from a 5 day trip, on a Sunday evening at 7PM, tired and needing to be home, I found my brand new 2016 Subaru Outback LTD 3.6R dead-as-a-door-nail in the dark underground parking garage at the Spokane Intl Airport…I couldn’t even unencumber myself of my luggage due to the whole car being DEAD. I contacted AAA and they had me on the road two hours later, but I had new concerns about the function and reliability of my Subaru. I would have called Subaru Roadside Assistance, but the name and number were locked inside my dead car, and all dealerships, of course, were closed. To return from my trip, only to find my new Subaru Outback dead, was VERY upsetting. So my question is, WHY isn’t Subaru dealing with this obvious battery problem, and WHY wasn’t I forewarned of a problem you were certainly aware of, and WHY, when I brought my car into the Cascade Auto Center service department, in Wenatchee, WA, after finding my Subaru, for the third time, dead in my garage, was I told you were unable to find any problem with the battery, when there is obviously a documented battery problem and certainly awareness of this problem by service technicians?
I will be heading to Wal-Mart on Monday, where I will purchase a better battery, but I could have saved a lot of time, and experienced much less worry and angst, had I known the problem would be eliminated by just changing the battery. It would have been well worth the $150 I’ll be spending on Monday. Your customers have a need to know, and a right to know, of potential problems regarding being stranded by a stupid dead battery. It is all part of your safety promise. I am elderly and have an aversion to dark public garages of any type, and I have a life that could depend on getting into my car and driving to an appointment. I NEED TO KNOW MY CAR WILL PERFORM WHEN I NEED IT.

A Great Vehicle!
By Terry H.

2015 Subaru Outback SUV 2.5i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

After over 50 years of driving, I can say that my 2015 Outback Premium 2.5 is overall the best vehicle I've ever owned. I've owned Volvos, Mercedes, Lincolns, Cadillacs, and Suburbans. I was a used car dealer for 30 years. So I've driven them all. My wife and I purchased two 2015 Outbacks new in 2014. In almost two years of driving, we have not had one problem with either one. There have been a few recalls....all minor enough to where I waited until the next complementary dealer service to have them done. Both or our vehicles have the Eyesight system -- it works great. My wife's is a Limited. The thinner tires on the Limited give better handling, but a little rougher ride. Personally, I prefer my cloth seats too. I do wish that the Premium trim included rear A/C vents. Why pay more for a less dependable vehicle -- we'll stick with Subaru.

First Subaru and it will be my LAST
By lbeck

2015 Subaru Outback SUV 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Only a little over a year old, 7720 miles and God knows if it will start when I want to go somewhere. The last two months I have had to jump start my car FOUR times. It sits in my driveway dead. Dealer ran diagnostic when I brought the car back for the third recall! They found nothing. Dead a few weeks later. Drove it on a Sunday, was dead on that Wednesday. Back at the dealer since Thursday (it is now Monday.) They still claim that they have found no drain on the battery. Was told by a tech that I should start the car every two days when I know I am not going to drive it. That is ridiculous. Then was asked if I keep the keys too close to the car when it is parked. What!? I purchased this car based on the claims that it is a reliable brand and that that has proven to be a fallacy. I guess if I have to go away and leave the car I should hire someone to start it every few days? Or I could just turn it in on the lemon law...? This has been a truly frustrating experience. Would not recommend this car, unfortunately, unless you are looking for a really expensive lawn ornament.

I like it...but
By GK

2015 Subaru Outback SUV 2.5i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

A fuddy duddy's complaints: lift struts, not prop rod for the hood. Electronic parking brake-- lose battery and you can't disengage the brakes. No way to open the rear hatch from the outside without electricity -- dead battery and you're going to have to crawl into the back and remove a panel on the inside of the hatch. This would be a major pain if the rear was filled with suitcases and gear and you needed to get to the jumper cables that were stored down with the spare tire. And it's not a full-size spare tire. And there's not much storage space for tools -- yes the tray above the spare tire and below the rear area's floor has some room to lay things flat, and that is working for me, but forget trying to store a decent-sized tool box anywhere. That's the ugly, now for the good. The car's handling is much better than I expected. I LOVE the AWD. My previous Saturn Vue (FWD) had problems getting up a nearby hill when the road was wet. The Outback charges up snow-covered hills like "What's the problem? Did you think there was going to be a problem? I don't see a problem. It's just a little ol' hill with a little bit of snow. What's the big deal?" The gas mileage is out of sight. On road trips I'm getting 33 MPG and more. Even driving though mountainous Colorado I got 33 MPG. I love the paddle shifters! There's always a "gear" available to maintain the speed I want when going downhill. Dropping down the 3000 or so feet from Wolf Creek Pass to Pagosa Springs was no sweat and didn't require ANY brake-riding. Coming down Pike's Peak, again, was easy as cake. (This is the main reason I bought the Outback instead of the Forester: nothing but LOW and DRIVE on the Forester. I wanted some more choices.) The engine is adequate. I'll admit that I would have liked to have tried the six-cylinder version, but the dealer didn't have any, and the salesman said (what a surprise -- he was a salesman), "You don't need a six-cylinder." And he was right. The four has definitely been adequate. I can take on snowy hills, but it would be pretty embarrassing if I were to try to take on a Camaro or Mustang...or, okay, almost any vehicle with a six- or more cylinder engine. I've made two many-thousand mile trips in the Outback. I'm planning on taking a 4000 mile trip soon.