Used 2015 Subaru Outback SUV Consumer Reviews - 181 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2015 Subaru Outback SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Syriusxm categories, station list missing on radio
By Kelly

2015 Subaru Outback SUV 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Syrius XM lost categories to choose from; list of all stations stopped working. DON'T BUY UNTIL THEY GET THIS FIXED. This worked fine until a couple of months ago.

I don't see what all the hype is about...
By Gordy McMilkshake

2015 Subaru Outback SUV 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

On paper it seemed like the perfect vehicle, but in actuality it really does nothing for me. There's really nothing wrong with it, but it just is unremarkable in almost every way. Let's talk performance first. Acceleration is adequate at best, and that is if you are driving by yourself. If you have a few passengers and/or cargo, it'll leave a bit to be desired. I've also found this to be the case when merging into traffic. I usually just have to pray there isn't a long string of cars I need to gas it to get in front of. Braking is nothing special either, though not awful. One area that is remarkable is handling in the rain. I do not need to slow down on the highway at all. I expect this to be the case in snow, too. Even though that is a good perk, it's not enough to get me excited about this crap wagon. I'm also not sure what they were thinking with the design. I have a family member who has a previous generation Outback which I really liked. I didn't realize how different the designs really are until after I got mine. from the side it looks like they tried to rip off a Volvo crossover but didn't succeed very well. The grill is obviously stolen from Ford. Not sure what to say about the back. If it were a beauty contest between this, a Ford Aerostar, and a Chevy HHR the Outback would clearly win, but this one's appearance is forgettable at best (which is true of most Subarus). The interior is nicer than the previous generation, I'll give it that. Seat comfort leave a bit to be desired, though, and the glare from the center console is very oppressive if driving the wrong direction on a sunny day. Interior materials aren't bad, with window switches being among the most solid I've ever had and seat fabric being pretty nice. Again, that's not enough to get me excited about this car. Others praise the visibility and again, I feel it's barely adequate. Yes, there's a camera, but dependency on this isn't ideal. This car does handle well on back roads for as large as it is - it pulls off more of a car-like feel, though during turns at low speeds it definitely feels more like you're driving an SUV. The luggage rack on top with the movable bars appears to be a good concept but I've not had the chance to test it yet. The climate control and audio are definitely an upgrade from my old car, which give me some comfort about trading in my much more fun old car. Fuel economy is also pretty good, with 26-28 mixed driving and 33 out on the road. I'll give it to Subaru...that's impressive for such a large AWD vehicle. My much older Honda Accord used to get that same mileage. To sum up, it's not really a bad vehicle, but just nothing special. Don't waste money on a stamp to write home about this one. I don't see what all the Subaru hype is about. It's a very okay car. It meets my needs on paper, but I just can't get excited about it. If I were in a very snowy climate it might be easier. I'd definitely look at competitors before jumping into any Subaru purchase.

Subaru slipped up!
By Lucy

2015 Subaru Outback SUV 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I've been driving a 2015 Outback for 2+years. Love the gas mileage, roominess, handling and comfort. But i have 2 major complaints: speakers and heating/cooling systems. The speakers sound so bad... must be very low quailty plus the placement of them in the car is poor. They sound muffled and not clear. I have tried adjusting them but no improvement. If you are a music lover, you will be disappointed with this vehicle! SUBARU, what were you thinking!?! Second compliant is temp controls. When i turn the heat or air off, it never totally shuts off, so the vents continue to blow out a little hot or cold air. So annoying because then it gets too hot or cold. Sonetimes i would just like the option of maintaining the current interior temp, but it doesn't let me do that. And the a/c turns on every time i turn on the fan. I live in mn so it's not something i use on a frequent basis. I am constantly turning it off. A better option would have been to have me turn it on when i need it rather than to turn it off when i don't.

Great value
By David Kostrikin

2015 Subaru Outback SUV 3.6R Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl CVT)

Love the car, it was a choice between an Audi all road at over $60 or it’s closest competition the 3.6 limited outback. The great quality for such a low price (our price new was below msrp @ $34k) is amazing. Drives easily, good handling, comfort and roominess. The mpg is not the best but relative to the size and power of this vehicle. Now for the negatives,,,the road line sensor warnings nonstop beeping is annoying plus there isn’t an obvious way to turn it off. The factory battery is weak and small. The battery needs to be replaced long before it fails and upgraded to a unit with more reserve capacity due to the self diagnosis the car does every night. This self diagnosing uses up too much power and drains down the battery also if you put a front window shade in you can accidentally hit the map light during daylight hours and kill your battery that way too. Lastly I don’t know if it’s low quality factory tires or the Subi AWD system but the tires were completely wore out and not safe after only 45k miles of regular mixed city/freeway driving. Our other AWD cars factory tires last 65-70k miles so we were amazed. Over all this is a great, dependable and comfortable car especially after the tire and battery upgrades we did. Also love the free lifetime oil changes our dealer gave us.

it was almost great
By Rich

2015 Subaru Outback SUV 3.6R Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl CVT)

small reoccurring problems that I feel should have been covered but weren't, the gas cap opener failed, repaired $400 and happened again, should have been covered, I felt the leather on drivers seat was breaking down and splitting, no real sign yet but I could feel it. the transmission slipped more and longer than it should have as with I often backed out on to a main road and had to wait as it slipped dangerously long before drive would work.