Used 2015 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews - 172 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2015 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

I AM AFRAID OF MY 2015 OUTBACK
By larren davis

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl CVT)

I bought my 2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited new SUV with 24 miles on the odometer ( I put14 miles on while test driving). I paid CASH. 39,296.66$. I had done my Due Diligence, researching every vehicle I was interested in owing as my " Last or Forever" Auto. Subaru's Outback statistics were impressive, winning many prestigious awards, and held the Best SUV Title for 2015. Every auto critic liked her but didn't have a longevity study for the redesigned Subaru. After my test drive, I too was a fan. UNTIL NOW!!! It is now almost three years to the day that I drove this beast off the dealer's lot in Las Vegas. I have had Four (4) RECALLS and a 'Voluntary Warranty Extention Program' as it applies to the New Car Limited Powertrain Warranty covering defects to the Continuously Variable Transmission(CVT). Subaru preemptively offered this gesture of a Warranty Extension before an official recall took place. My Outback has 24,200 miles on the Odometer today. I EXPERIENCED A TREMENDOUS MACHINAL FAILURE THAT IS BEING COVERED UP! I had already been dealing with the only Subaru Dealership here in Las Vegas regarding another recall, this time on the Transmission for a Leak. This involved: CVT CHAIN COVER RESEAL, WITH RING SEAL, SUPER THREE BOND, CVTF-II, GSKT EXH PIPE F, GASKET (CR), and two days to service my Outback. Exactly One Week Later, and the first time that I drove FASTER THAN SURFACE TRAFFIC SPEEDS, the DRIVETRAIN FAILED. Four minutes earlier I was doing 80 miles per hour on a very fast-moving stretch of the Interstate 215. Instinct told me to exit the dangerous traffic conditions. As I slowed to normal surface street speed limits, making the green signals at two major intersections, I, fortunately, made my turn onto a side street when the metallic sounds filled the space within my SUV. It was so loud that it made me flinch! As I collected my breath, then came huge sounds of metal crunching and twisting under my wheels, the car jerked forward as though I went over a speed bump and I was able to stop. I honestly thought that I had run over a child on a bicycle who must have darted out between cars as I was distracted by the original metal event. I knew that this child had to be dead! I jumped out of the Outback, and to my astonishment, there was nothing under the car; nothing hanging down, no liquid leaking, no dents, no nothing! That evening I had TWO REPUTABLE MECHANICS THAT WERE WITNESS AND INVOLVED WITH THIS EVENT. I WAS TOLD BY BOTH, WHAT HAPPENED AND THE SUBSEQUENT EFFORTS TO MOVE THE AUTO, PROVED THAT IT WAS A MAJOR DRIVE-TRAIN FAILURE. It would shift into gear and want to go, but the wheels didn't move round and round. Ultimately, she got wrenched onto a flatbed. Now, SUBARU IS LIEING ABOUT THE EXTENT OF DAMAGE "THEY STATED", only willing to replacing transmission!

A vehicle you can rely on.......
By R.C. Anderson

2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Great car, great car......GREAT CAR!

Needed a new wheel bearing after 44,000 miles
By Norm

2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

These cars have such a good rep, but after owning two and both needing new wheel bearings, the first after 100,000 miles, the second after 44,000 miles, I give up on Subaru. I bought it new and my wife drove it for 3.5 years and loved it. We really liked the comfort, driving feel, performance and value compared to other new cars, but they are just not dependable.

Charging issues
By Dennis Lain

2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

My 2013 Outback was an awesome vehicle. I traded it in for a 2016 Outback. I have been stranded at least 5 times with the 2016. Never with the 2013. When I would try and start the vehicle the battery would go dead. I thought it was my error by leaving items turned on and draining the battery. When I would get in the car it would slow crank a few times and then the battery would go dead. This is embarrassing, to say the least when I am leaving an appointment for a sales call and the owner has to give me jump. After reading these articles I now know it was not my fault and it is the car that is losing charge on its own. My lease warranty is 3 years or 36,000 miles. I am at 38,000 miles right now so going to the dealer is not an option. It does not appear that Subaru is taking any responsibility so I will trade for a different brand next. In addition, I received better gas mileage on the 2013 Outback than I do with the 2016. Something is not right.

Love the car HATE the battery problem
By njordan3

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl CVT)

I have replaced the battery once, have gone on longer drives to keep the battery charged, have had a software update so the battery will charge more and I trickle charge the battery several times a month and I still have been stranded four times in the last 30 days. I live in fear of leaving a dome light on or not closing the door properly when I park since I will have a 95% chance of the car not starting when I get back. This car is awesome and I love the way it drives and the lack of other issues it has had in the 3 years 7 months and 74799 miles that I have had it but it is now becoming a burden because of this issue. I am VERY Frustrated!. A few weeks ago I drove 460 miles in one day and the next morning the car would not start because a dome light had been on for 8 hours. I have never had that issue with any of the other cars I have owned.