Used 2000 Subaru Outback Wagon Consumer Reviews

Used Outback for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...11

Pros
Cons

Head Gasket and Sway Bar - Ouch!

ensoniqman, 03/20/2009
4dr Wagon AWD

We bought our 2000 Subaru Outback Wagon as second owners over 4 years ago & the engine has slowing been declining since then. Great looks and reputation, but I wish we had researched the engine a little more. Head gaskets are known for blowing at under 100k miles on these Subarus, and our was no exception. The front sway bar also sheared off. Never had this problem with my Toyota or Hondas in the past. We also had an oil analysis performed by Blackstone Laboratories three years ago. Their results came in good, but that was before the gasket blew. We maintained the engine regularly with a new belt, synthetic oil, new plugs & filter.

AWD Kicks!

kalliday, 10/04/2006
4dr Wagon AWD

This car was an impulse buy and despite my research beforehand and then afterward, it has not been worth the money 10 times over. Check engine light is always on and off (catalytic converter), goes through a whole set of brakes and rotors in less than a year (and I am NOT driving like a maniac!), acceleration is crappy, alignment is never quite right, need I continue? Unfortunately for Subaru, this is my second and the last (I had a 1999 Forester before that which was great but no lumbar support).

GET A CLUE BUY A SUBARU!

outbacksleeper, 04/09/2012
4dr Wagon AWD

Seriously been reading some of these reviews and they are a joke! My Outback has 220K miles on it AND RUNS LIKE A CHAMP! purchased this car off of a friend that did next to no maintenance at 200K, and after only 500 dollars in little things, I can beat the Mustangs off the line! Head Gaskets at 100k are NOT normal to be replaced, and my car was ran hard before owning, unlike other people complaining it's not an issue (lemons?) Tranny is awesome, Handling superb, gas mileage is excellent for an AWD. only issue is the Check Engine Light pops on and off, but that is because of the Cat conv. O2 sensor which is a KNOWN BUG, nothing to worry about though. DEF BUY THIS CAR, IT's BULLET PROOF!

Outback LTD Wagon

neoneo22, 05/04/2002
Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

Great overall. Only problem is that CD player fails to function 75% of time, have yet to replace it, however. Had an accident, and while the other car (a brand new mercury cougar) was totaled, this car didn't even have a scratch on it (no exaggeration)!! Very quiet and very comfortable.

Solid Vehicle

jkwcivil, 01/14/2010
4dr Wagon AWD

I purchased this car used in September '09 with approximately 41,000 miles. Since then I've driven 10,000 miles in different conditions, including ice and mud, and I've found this to be a solid and reliable vehicle. It has the four cylinder engine. I get 23 to 24 mpg with 50% highway and 50% in town. I admit that I'm not an aggressive driver. Most others would probably get a lower gas mileage reading. The suspension is very much like an SUV when traveling off-road or over rough pavement. The all wheel drive gives a secure feeling when the roads are slick. I can see why Subarus are popular in northern states.

12345...11