Used 2000 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews

Used Outback for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...12

Pros
Cons

Head Gasket and Sway Bar - Ouch!

ensoniqman, 03/20/2009

We bought our 2000 Subaru Outback Wagon as second owners over 4 years ago & the engine has slowing been declining since then. Great looks and reputation, but I wish we had researched the engine a little more. Head gaskets are known for blowing at under 100k miles on these Subarus, and our was no exception. The front sway bar also sheared off. Never had this problem with my Toyota or Hondas in the past. We also had an oil analysis performed by Blackstone Laboratories three years ago. Their results came in good, but that was before the gasket blew. We maintained the engine regularly with a new belt, synthetic oil, new plugs & filter.

AWD Kicks!

kalliday, 10/04/2006

This car was an impulse buy and despite my research beforehand and then afterward, it has not been worth the money 10 times over. Check engine light is always on and off (catalytic converter), goes through a whole set of brakes and rotors in less than a year (and I am NOT driving like a maniac!), acceleration is crappy, alignment is never quite right, need I continue? Unfortunately for Subaru, this is my second and the last (I had a 1999 Forester before that which was great but no lumbar support).

Solid Vehicle

jkwcivil, 01/14/2010

I purchased this car used in September '09 with approximately 41,000 miles. Since then I've driven 10,000 miles in different conditions, including ice and mud, and I've found this to be a solid and reliable vehicle. It has the four cylinder engine. I get 23 to 24 mpg with 50% highway and 50% in town. I admit that I'm not an aggressive driver. Most others would probably get a lower gas mileage reading. The suspension is very much like an SUV when traveling off-road or over rough pavement. The all wheel drive gives a secure feeling when the roads are slick. I can see why Subarus are popular in northern states.

Awesome in the snow.

Loved my outback, 12/11/2008

We had our Subaru Outback since 2000 until my husband totaled it. This is a great car. Not much room to fit a big family, but great in the snow. Great second car. We are thinking about getting another one just because how safe we feel driving this on any type of road conditions. Never had mechanical problems, except regular maintenance,. Great car... I am sorely going to miss ours.

my family car

coco, 05/25/2002

I'm a 25 year old driving around in a station wagon. And I love it! This car is verstile enough for me and my family to go camping, shopping, and for my husband to go off-road on occasion. It is roomy, and has plenty of "trunk" space. My husband wished it had more get up and go, but for a family car ita plenty fast. I drive70 Miles to work each day, cruising 70-80 mph, and have had no problems, except for squeeky rear brakes. The 2 sun roofs are always enjoyeed by me

12345...12