2018 Subaru Legacy Sedan Consumer Reviews - 25 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2018 Subaru Legacy Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

AAA+++
By Pop

Great Car

Subaru Legacy worth the Buying
By Ruth L.

2018 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I had a Toyota Camry Hybrid. Living in the northeast, I felt it necessary to have the AWD. The Legacy is compact, comfortable, rides beautifully and was worth the money. I especially like the adjustments of the driver's seat which can be raised and has an adjustable back support. I've only been driving the car for six weeks and sense that the hybrid is slightly better on gas. Other than that, I'm pleased with the purchase and will feel safer when winter comes and I need to navigate hills in snowy weather.

Great car for the money
By Sean Grobe

2018 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Sport 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I had to move from a sports car (370z) to a sedan to accommodate my growing family. I looked at several options and settled on the Subaru Legacy Sport. I chose this trim because the features to price ratio fit my budget. The extra cost for the few features I would get in the limited or limited 3.6r wasn't worth it to me for a daily driver. While many reviews say the car is underpowered, the 2.5 boxer is in the range of similar cars (albeit the lower side of the range), I have never felt it lacking for daily driving in traffic, which accounts for 90 percent of my driving. The ride is very smooth. There is a bit of body roll, but it holds the road well, even when I push it a bit. The interior is very roomy, and the large trunk space is free of obstructions, allowing for decent cargo hauling. I can fit comfortably in both the front and rear seats, though taller people would probably have a headroom issue in the back. The full-time all wheel drive is a great feature - My wife's Nissan Rogue has it and handles well in the winter, and I expect that the Legacy will also be a decent car for inclement weather. For my favorite features, I am torn between the infotainment system and the Eyesight system. The basic infotainment system of the sport has Tom Tom navigation and a host of other features that work great, but Android Auto is a very good too. I tend to use Bluetooth for short trips, and Android Auto for longer drives where I want to use Waze or be able to use the car's screen to change music, etc. Eyesight is impressive, and getting those features at under 30k (about 20k less than luxury brands offer similar features) is great. The adaptive cruise control is very smooth and can handle stop-and-go traffic, and lane keep assist and departure warning come in handy. Looks-wise it is a little generic, but still has nice lines. All in all, I find the 2018 Legacy Sport to be an underrated car that makes a great family sedan.

Smart, sleeper for 2018
By allen t

2018 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Sport 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

If you live in an area that showcases the four seasons, this car should be high on your list to consider. There are more than a few other "sporty looking" cars that I could have chosen- but those 45R wheels that look so cool in the summer don't really help much in difficult weather. The Legacy has one of the best infotainment setups you'll ever find. Head and shoulders above entune, to name one. The tech in this car is something else. The layout and menu response is fantastic. One of the few cars that will give you three years of navigation built in....not 90 days. The Subaru driver assist (lane change, cameras, safety, etc) is top shelf. With regards to the power plant- if you live out in the desert, or a place with lots of open roads and little to no traffic, then you'll probably be less than thrilled with what the Legacy offers up. However, if you're in a more populated area where commutes are a pain and traffic lights abound- does it really matter if you don't have 350 horses at your disposal? Look at all the reviews for the Legacy and you'll find that generally the only "con" is a weaker engine. Well it's plenty capable of moving you around just fine. Earlier models of the Legacy labored more- but the 2018 seems to have been tuned/tweaked enough to address many of the previous shortcomings. More torque in the low range, and a smoother shifting engine made it a non-issue for me. Cosmetically, the interior layout of instruments is nearly flawless, but quality of materials...fit and finish could be better. If this was a 30k plus car- then I would have a problem. Comparing the quality to those of other 25k and under cars- and it's what you should expect. There is give and take in a car of this price range- and when you remember you're got Subaru's AWD system to get you through just about anything...well then a little plastic here or there is OK with me. Having said that, I do love the cloth and stitching on the Sport model seats. Really stands out. Some of the fabric around the door area or floors is a bit more less desirable. The Sport model is based entirely on looks- there is no boost in power or suspension. It's quite a beefy look though- the front is very aggressive in design and one of my favorite areas on the car. 19" wheels, yet they are not low profile summer slicks so you don't have to be concerned with what to do when winter arrives. Overall, a fantastic car to own, given the right circumstances as I laid out above.

5th Subaru (but NOT our last)
By Steven M. Kish, Jr.

2018 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Traded in my 2015 Subaru Outback Limited in January when lease ended and spotted a 50th Anniversary Legacy, which immediately changed my mind on another Outback. This IS the best vehicle I have ever owned ( along with my wife’s 2018 Legacy), in my 55+ years of vehicle ownership. First trip from metro Detroit to Traverse City and back got 29.9 mpg even though the Legacy wasn’t even broken in yet! Comfortable, easy to drive, improved navigation and eyesight systems all add up to a car that I WANT to drive. This is our 5th Subaru but will no be our last!