2018 Subaru Legacy Sedan Consumer Reviews - 27 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2018 Subaru Legacy Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Happy with Premium edition. Only issues are:
By Bob

2018 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Updating NAV maps is tedious. Harman AUDIO - needs more power and WHY is volume a scale of 1 to 38 ?? Which should you hear - map turn info or radio?? Voice command - if phone on bluetooth and you try to FIND something it prompts "Call Walter Smith ( or whatever SOUNDS like your search -walMart') I didn't say CALL I said FIND ! SO have to turn OFF bluetooth. NAV only saves about 30 ?, 50? items then Memory is FULL - CRAZY. My $100 Garmin holds about 500. Eyesight - twice has stopped me when not needed. Guy in front taking left - I see him, he's turning - but Eyesight stopped me in road - luckily no one near me because no need to stop ( unless he didn't move). It was doing it's job, BUT unexpected stop in traffic has happened and unable to move for a few seconds.

After 9 Volkswagens, I switched...I'm glad I did.
By Chris A

2018 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

After a disappointing experience with a $33K Volkswagen, I decided to change brands. Not an easy decision, as I had been a VW loyalist for over 30 years. I've always liked Subarus, and nearly bought a Legacy in 2010. I did research before going to drive the car. I knew all about the supposedly annoying CVT and underwhelming 2.5 boxer four. My initial test drive impression made me doubt what the reviewers had said on these two topics. The CVT is exceptional. The smoothness and the programmed "shifts" that mimic a conventional automatic really do make the transmission a pleasant experience. After six months and 12K miles, I prefer it because of the smoothness. When I need power to pass or merge, I use the paddle shifters and instantly have the power I need. On the subject of power, it is true that the 2.5 boxer four is slower than most other cars. But power is not the reason that I bought this car. Because I drive around 20K per year, I needed a car that was comfortable. A car that would not leave me with a sore back or feeling tired after driving a long distance. It had to be safe, reliable and able to cope with bad weather. It had to deliver good economy. The Subaru Legacy fits all of those criteria when bought in the 2.5i Limited trim with Eyesight. Much has been written by other owners about the space, comfort and safety of the Legacy, so I'll just say that I agree with them. It's fantastic. The economy has been a huge surprise. My last VW, which was lighter than the Legacy and did not feature AWD, got lower mileage on the same routes. The EPA mileage estimates are very realistic. 36mpg on the highway is very possible. My only complaint is with the interface on the new Starlink entertainment system. There are well documented bugs in the system that cause random lock ups, loss of functionality and other issues. Internet forums for Subaru owners have multiple posts describing them. While I have not had the same amount of issues as someone that I know who purchased an Outback with the same system, I have had the navigation fail during a trip to inner city Philadelphia. Not fun. I have since obtained a software update from my Subaru dealer and it seems to have fixed the issues. But again, that is my only complaint. I went so far as to email Subaru after driving through some pretty heavy rains and discovering just how well AWD works on wet roads (if you've never experienced it, you'll be amazed). I told them how pleased I was with the car. Not only did I receive an email reply thanking me, but Subaru sent me a $50 roadside assistance kit with a hand written note saying "Welcome to the family." Now that's service! I spoke to my salesman about this, and he has heard similar stories from other owners. There is a reason why Subaru has outstanding satisfaction scores and owner loyalty. You owe it to yourself to look at the Legacy instead of just giving consideration to the Accord, Sonata, Camry and Passat. None of them can match the uniqueness of the Legacy and the Subaru experience.

AAA+++
By Pop

2018 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Sport 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Great Car

Subaru Legacy worth the Buying
By Ruth L.

2018 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I had a Toyota Camry Hybrid. Living in the northeast, I felt it necessary to have the AWD. The Legacy is compact, comfortable, rides beautifully and was worth the money. I especially like the adjustments of the driver's seat which can be raised and has an adjustable back support. I've only been driving the car for six weeks and sense that the hybrid is slightly better on gas. Other than that, I'm pleased with the purchase and will feel safer when winter comes and I need to navigate hills in snowy weather.

Great car for the money
By Sean Grobe

2018 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Sport 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I had to move from a sports car (370z) to a sedan to accommodate my growing family. I looked at several options and settled on the Subaru Legacy Sport. I chose this trim because the features to price ratio fit my budget. The extra cost for the few features I would get in the limited or limited 3.6r wasn't worth it to me for a daily driver. While many reviews say the car is underpowered, the 2.5 boxer is in the range of similar cars (albeit the lower side of the range), I have never felt it lacking for daily driving in traffic, which accounts for 90 percent of my driving. The ride is very smooth. There is a bit of body roll, but it holds the road well, even when I push it a bit. The interior is very roomy, and the large trunk space is free of obstructions, allowing for decent cargo hauling. I can fit comfortably in both the front and rear seats, though taller people would probably have a headroom issue in the back. The full-time all wheel drive is a great feature - My wife's Nissan Rogue has it and handles well in the winter, and I expect that the Legacy will also be a decent car for inclement weather. For my favorite features, I am torn between the infotainment system and the Eyesight system. The basic infotainment system of the sport has Tom Tom navigation and a host of other features that work great, but Android Auto is a very good too. I tend to use Bluetooth for short trips, and Android Auto for longer drives where I want to use Waze or be able to use the car's screen to change music, etc. Eyesight is impressive, and getting those features at under 30k (about 20k less than luxury brands offer similar features) is great. The adaptive cruise control is very smooth and can handle stop-and-go traffic, and lane keep assist and departure warning come in handy. Looks-wise it is a little generic, but still has nice lines. All in all, I find the 2018 Legacy Sport to be an underrated car that makes a great family sedan.