Used 2006 Subaru Legacy Consumer Reviews - 111 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Subaru Legacy Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Love it!
By Dpkalloch

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD w/Black Int. (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Be certain you can handle a tight clutch before you buy this car. It handles great and it is so fun to drive. The turning radius is tight for the car's size. Even at this age, the car is better than most on the road today.

Ride and handling balance out shortcomings
By Jude

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned this car since it was new and it's now got 95000 miles. I'll be trading it in soon because I have about $4000 of upcoming repairs. It will need a timing belt, which is normal. But it also needs a new head gasket and new rack and pinion steering, which is not. The fabric on the driver's seat wore through to the foam rubber after a couple of years and I've been making due with duct tape. I used to get rattling in the driver's side duct work, which I addressed by pulling the grill and jamming shop rags around the duct. This got fixed when the dealer pulled the dash to install new airbags per a recall. But I have other dash rattles showing up. The car ate up the power steering belt for some reason but I haven't had any problems since I replaced the belt. I haven't really been bothered by all this because I really like the car's handling and ride on the open road, very jewell-like precision and solid-feeling. And of course it's fun to drive in the snow. But having to trade in a car at 95000 miles because of a head gasket and rack and pinion is something I would expect from a lower-priced domestic model.

Subaru Legacy wagon
By Roland

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Good all around daily

Thought I liked it for about 4 months.
By Clay

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I'm someone who knows enough about cars, takes care and appreciates what I have and maintains my vehicles or anything else need be. I bought this car with confidence having a clean report and all the papers of maintenance work done. I had the recalls done asap and a inspection done on the car which turned out mostly on green with remarks that it was very clean for a Subaru with 150,000 miles on it. It recently had the water pump and belt changed (reports of it changed twice before) Gaskets done on time and most other routine maintenance done. About a month after I bought it I was getting a check engine for either the Catalytic converter or o2 sensor. I was planning on handling it soon, but since the check engine lighe would disappear quite often for weeks on end and the car was running fine, I figured It was no hurry. Then one random day (no check engine light, no leaks, no overheating) MY car went BOOM on the freeway. I lost control and had to pull over as it was shutting off. Got it towed to a specialist and they said the Engine was toast and it would cost 4500 to put a new one in!! This was very disappointing after all the hype around how reliable these cars are.

2006 Legacy GT Limited 5EAT automatic
By 02603sec

I love this car. 195.8 K miles. It looks good, it is fun to drive and roomy. The leather is nice. The turbo lubrication design is weak. The access to repair is difficult. The bosses on the aluminum block are easily cross threaded. Oil level must be monitored very closely as well as change intervals. Excellent in snow, weather. Once you have AWD you'll never go back.
<br><br>
Update. 205,000 keep an eye on the rubber hoses and the factory original clamps. Once the car has 200k, these need to be replaced in advance of breaking down. I was convinced a leak was a head gasket, because it was losing coolant, but not on the ground. It was a small hose a weak clamp and coolant was escaping as steam under pressure. Replaced a rear wheel bearing. Easy work. cost of part was $50. Replaced the rotors and calipers.. old. The drip channel on the bottom of the driver's door is just about rusted through. On a scale of 10, I am a 7 in mechanical skill. I do ALL my own repair. If you're not at least a 5 on the mechanic scale, and have a garage and tools, do not buy this TURBO Subaru. A better choice at this mileage and age would be a normally aspirated Subaru.