Used 2006 Subaru Legacy Consumer Reviews - 112 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Subaru Legacy Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Decent Car but expensive to repair
By gowilson

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My 2006 Legacy now has over 180000 miles, and it still runs great. However, in the last 3 - 4 years it has required some very expensive repairs, which, given its resale value, have made it borderline not worth fixing. The engine/transmission/drivetrain all remain solid and perform well, however the interior materials are cheap and are showing excessive wear. Similarly, the body is now starting to rust. Overall a decent, but not great, car.

Love it!
By Dpkalloch

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD w/Black Int. (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Be certain you can handle a tight clutch before you buy this car. It handles great and it is so fun to drive. The turning radius is tight for the car's size. Even at this age, the car is better than most on the road today.

Ride and handling balance out shortcomings
By Jude

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned this car since it was new and it's now got 104000 miles. I was looking to trade it in a year ago because I was looking at about $4000 of repairs: new timing belt, which is normal, but also a new head gasket and new rack and pinion steering, which is not. The fabric on the driver's seat wore through to the foam rubber after a couple of years and I've been making do with duct tape. I used to get rattling in the driver's side duct work, which I addressed by pulling the grill and jamming shop rags around the duct. This got fixed when the dealer pulled the dash to install new airbags per a recall. But I have other dash rattles showing up when the car's been sitting in the hot sun. I remedy it by blowing the defrost on cold for a while and it seems to make the rattle go away. The car ate up the power steering belt for some reason (bad rack and pinion?) but I haven't had any problems since I replaced the belt.

I shopped around for other cars and wound up not liking much of anything I saw. I'm looking for a car with a manual transmission. That gave me about 5 cars in my price range, and none of them handled as well as the Subaru, very jewell-like precision and solid-feeling. And I like the size of the car, it's smaller than the current Legacy but bigger than the Impreza. So I went ahead and got the new timing belt and rack and pinion and plan on keeping the car another couple of years and go from there. The head gasket thing turned out to be something I'm not going to spend money on because some mechanics say it's an issue ("These Subarus have problems with the head gasket") and others tell me it's just fine. So it looks like one of those things some garages come up with to generate revenue. So I'll hang on to the car but I'm not sure I'd get another Subaru. I've never had a car for which I had to replace the steering, neither have I had a car with all the dashboard rattles. It's one thing for me to adapt to my current car but I don't know that I'd want to buy in to another round of these issues.

Subaru Legacy wagon
By Roland

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Good all around daily

Thought I liked it for about 4 months.
By Clay

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I'm someone who knows enough about cars, takes care and appreciates what I have and maintains my vehicles or anything else need be. I bought this car with confidence having a clean report and all the papers of maintenance work done. I had the recalls done asap and a inspection done on the car which turned out mostly on green with remarks that it was very clean for a Subaru with 150,000 miles on it. It recently had the water pump and belt changed (reports of it changed twice before) Gaskets done on time and most other routine maintenance done. About a month after I bought it I was getting a check engine for either the Catalytic converter or o2 sensor. I was planning on handling it soon, but since the check engine lighe would disappear quite often for weeks on end and the car was running fine, I figured It was no hurry. Then one random day (no check engine light, no leaks, no overheating) MY car went BOOM on the freeway. I lost control and had to pull over as it was shutting off. Got it towed to a specialist and they said the Engine was toast and it would cost 4500 to put a new one in!! This was very disappointing after all the hype around how reliable these cars are.