2017 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews - 41 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Out of Control!
By George

2017 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Limited 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Bought our first Subaru last fall. It took some time to get used to CVTransmission but worth the good gas mileage. What we can’t get used to is the “wobble of death” ride we have to endure each time we drive over grooved pavement at highway speed! Deeper grooves cause the vehicle to shift side to side making it difficult to stay in the driving lane. My wife reported it to the dealer who said when the tires wore in it would go away??? Well, at second oil change about 10,000miles I told service manager car would feel like it was out of control on grooved pavement—he said the “the wobble of death” like when you go over a steel grating with your motorcycle and I said exactly! He said they could try to realign tires. I asked I if it could be a problem with ABS or AWD traction control. He said no cause there were no warning light on. So every time we go over this particular stretch of highway I grip the steering wheel, pray and listen to my wife complain that she is getting car sick!

Avoid Subaru
By Michael Vaughan

2017 Subaru Impreza 2.0i 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Nothing but trouble with the Impreza and dealership. Similar to other negative reviews regarding the recalls but worse. The armrest top material is wrinkled and damaged from the sun, numerous unresolved electrical problems in addition to the display recall which also has not been resolved, door window not working, key lock not functioning, acceleration issues with gas pedal delay. Should have walked out when the sales petson could not do some simple math and then wanted to accuse me of trying to cheat him over his mistake. Bought the car for my fiance so she would have a reliable vehicle especially in the winter. The dealership has given her run-around numerous times. Avoid the west side dealership in Madison WI. Will be taking this to the next level if not resolved. Definitely NEVER buying another Subaru.

Surprisingly well rounded upscale sedan in Limited
By Jason H

2017 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

After returning my beloved Jetta TDI to VW a year ago, I took a leap of faith and bought a new 2017 Impreza Limited sedan with every added option included. One year verdict: I am glad I did— the new platform and upgraded features really transformed the model. The car is surprisingly well rounded. It handles well, is reasonably quiet, has sufficient power for normal driving, and is effectively an upscale sedan with the upgraded audio and Harmon Kardon speakers, 8” touchscreen with connectivity, and nicely done leather interior with comfortable seats. (Passengers seem uniformly happy and tell me I bought a “luxury” car before I remind them it is an Impreza.) I have grown very found of the adaptive cruise control, steering responsive LED headlights, and other EyeSight safety features that I now can’t imagine living without. Subaru really knocks it out of the park with safety, and the tech available is now leading edge too.

The AWD s a nice bonus in the winter (the car handles weather very well and feels solidly planted at all times). I get exactly the advertised MPG of 28 mixed and 38 highway using hand calculations from fill-ups. The car is no speed demon, but I have never felt like it was underpowered for normal highway and city driving. The CVT is actually fairly innocuous, and simulates traditional gears under hard acceleration or when using the paddle shifters— much more pleasant than some others I have driven. The engine can get a little noisy if pushed hard, but the sound is not too harsh.

I have not had any reliability problems. The only service other than the initial oil change and tire rotation was a software update to the infotainment head unit, which seemed to fix a few minor gremlins that other owners have also mentioned.

While the sedan lacks the added versatility of the hatch, I have actually come to appreciate two minor advantages: it is just a shade quieter in the cabin and gets a bit better fuel economy than the hatchback. I have also been able to fit quite long items in with the back seats down— the sedan is a few inches longer so permits quite long parcels if needed. The roof comes with roof rack attachment points (under the plastic runner if needed), but I have not installed a rack.

All in all, I have to say that this sedan has exceeded my expectations, after driving German cars previously. An AWD Audi A3 quattro or BMW 328d xDrive with similar features would cost an easy 15K more (they are only available as extra packages on higher trims), would depreciate much faster, and would run considerably more in maintenance and fuel (not to mention reliability differences). So, if you’re willing to forego some extra power and an elite nameplate, you can have much of the same cake and eat it too!

Impreza 2.0 Sport Sedan
By Jim W.

2017 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Sport 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

This is my 4th Subaru. First two were very well used. I had bought my wife a 2016 Forester after our VW diesel buyout and I liked the AWD and the CVT worked great. This prompted me to check out Subaru for my new car. I looked online at the available models and settled on the Sport. Went to the dealership and drove the very one I had looked at online. I like the looks of the interior, and the red stitching sets it off. The AWD is great, inspires confidence in any driving condition. The CVT shifts smoothly, and the available sport mode with paddle shifters is a nice feature (although I don't use it often). The 8 inch radio screen is nice, but as others have mentioned the station presets have gone away a few times and Apple Carplay has failed to operate on 3 occasions. For Apple Carplay just shutting the car off and restarting fixes it. For the presets, the last time they disappeared I turned the radio off for 10 minutes (doesn't really have an off but the screen was blank) and when I turned it back on the presets had returned. Fuel economy is slightly lower than the EPA rating. I keep track of my mileage on fueleconomy.gov and mine is one of only 2 that have real world mileage on that site. I get 26-27 mpg city and I've gotten 33-34 max on the highway. This is calculated mileage using miles and gallons used, not the trip computer which usually gives a rating about 2 mpg higher than what I'm actually calculating. Most of my mileage is city which is reflected in the combined MPG rating below. Rear visibility is not the best as others have mentioned, especially when backing. The rear of the car sits up and the trunk spoiler doesn't help in this regard. The backup camera is very welcome for backing. I like the user configurable gage cluster on the dash. There are a number of different screens available (wheel slip and angle, light and turn signals, average fuel economy) but there is a screen where you can configure 3 different gages. I use oil temp, coolant temp and instant mpg. I find it odd that Subaru does not have their doors lock automatically when the car is put into gear or driven. Seems very odd these days. Also, the side view mirrors could use a blind spot lens. Trunk space is pretty good, but when picking up 3 people from the airport the trunk filled quickly and they had to hold some luggage. Not unexpected in a compact car though. I love the paint color (Blue Lapis Pearl) and the interior as I mentioned. Overall very pleased with the car. I've owned it 17 months now and have more than 10,000 miles on it. Had it in for the radio head recall for programming related to the backup camera, and also had an issue where the cruise control would turn off at random (turned out to be a faulty brake switch). Both were fixed quickly.

Valued pal
By Kevin D. Ryan

2017 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Rides good,dependable, delivered with nothing at all wrong..inspires confidence