2017 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews - 37 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Valued pal
By Kevin D. Ryan

2017 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Rides good,dependable, delivered with nothing at all wrong..inspires confidence

Full Review you NEED to read. The REAL Subaru
By DERFWORLDWIDE

2017 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Premium 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

This is the real review of this car and others the same year. To start off, I have the fully loaded premium 2.0. I now have 6,500 miles on my car in a year of ownership. This is because it has been in the shop for months of my ownership (starting with probems at 500 miles). Between my car not starting, the bluetooth not staying connected, the radio having it's own mind, and the Eyesight turning on and off on its own and slamming on the brakes by itself...I am unable to drive this vehicle due to the safety concerns. I contacted Subaru many times, and never got a call back and they kept giving me the cold shoulder, even though I was beyond nice about everything. I eventually had to get a lawyer, which was an easy thing to do since the car was a complete lemon. After everything got settled and I got my money back for that terrible experience, I called Subaru and was willing to give them a second chance, even though their customer service was horrible and their vehicle was garbage. Subaru would not give a loyalty discount, a deal to keep a customer (that was not my first Subaru...I have had many and referred friends and family to them). Their products have declined as well as their customer service. Not worth putting your money into these problem vehicles until they get themselves together and back their customers. Next thing...my sister owns a 2017 Subaru Impreza 2.0 in stick. She has 9k miles on it and it has been into the shop MANY times for similar issues. However, the biggest issue is that her BRAND NEW car burns oil so badly that she needs to fill the oil reserve every month because the low oil light indicator comes on. They keep telling her, "Cars burn oil, its normal." Ummmmm, no Subaru...I have had many cars and have a truck with 180k miles and never need to add oil between changes. Anyways, she is using my lawyer and will as well win against them. Please keep all of this in mind while deciding on a new Subaru.

Rather have a Vw
By Ma

2017 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Premium 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Take a real world test drive under all driving conditions

This is my personal 3rd Subaru but my families 6th
By Benjamin

2017 Subaru Impreza 2.0i 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am 23 years old and my 2002 legacy wagon finally rusted to the point where it was no longer able to pass my states(PA) yearly inspection. I’ve driven a Subaru my entire life, I’ve had a 1997 outback, and a 2002 legacy wagon so my first thought was to look at the dealership that my family has purchased all of these from first. I was stunned when I saw the base model sitting there all pretty in black with a $19,485 price tag with 4 miles on it. I took it for a test drive and I was sucked in almost on the spot by the screen, the fake carbon fiber interior, and the fact that I did not have to watch where I got in so I did not cut my leg on the rust patch like in my previous car. I was elated when I was able to get the 0% financing option through the dealer and I specifically remember driving off the lot with it like I was the king of everything, being this was the first car I purchased and Insured under my own name. This, however is where it all started. The five speed manual trans was good to boot but after the first two weeks gears would not catch, the clutch is just a mess, and the absolute lack of power is honestly astonishing. I live in western Pennsylvania, hills are where you live and they’re very steep in some places; having to put your brand new car into second gear, holding everyone up behind you and smelling the burning of the engine is not what you want. The interior is dismal place, I wanted the black interior but even when I first sat in it I knew it was mostly hard plastics. Subaru has never been known for Scandinavianesk interiors full of plush seats and comfort but it was not so much as to write the whole car off. The front seats, I have not sat in the back, are worse than my 1997 outbacks; not lumbar support and you might be able to push it up two pumps but that’s about as useful as a stair case in a nursing home in terms of visiblility. The big issue I’ve had is the electronics, if I could of given them a negative rating I would have. The infotainment system is Dim whitted, you almost have to punch it to get a response sometimes and that’s only when it works properly. The screen cuts out and sometimes just freezes, the Bluetooth is horrendous at best but that’s only if your phone stays connected long enough for it to actually play any music through it; Apple car play which came with the car is not much better either. ACP is the only thing I have ever used that kicks your phone off while it’s still connected. The backup camera- which was a big selling point for me-usually freezes on the screen or makes the whole system reboot and makes the car shake like it’s going to stall out. The electronic gas gauge does what it pleases and when it pleases, I’ve gone 183 miles without loosing a bar and started it up again to find the gas light on. Only to then put 4-6 gallons back in it and it go all the way back to the top. My dealership has tried to move forward in fixing it three times already to only tell me that they “cannot duplicate.” This is all on top of only really getting 16-20(if I’m lucky) miles per gallon, if I was planning on that MPG I would have gotten a hemi Dodge Ram. I have already started talks with Subaru of America and a Lemon law lawyer in my state. Subaru has been in my family since they have moved to western PA and I cannot say if this car is just a flook or something else but before you purchase one of these cars do yourself a favor and wait a couple of years until the bugs are worked out. If you do not you might end up like me and having to spend your limited free time trying to get your lemon replaced with the car you wanted in the first place.

Terribly complicated controls
By Mary Mack

2017 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Premium 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

This is a pleasant car to own and operate. The digital systems are extremely complex, to the point that I would discourage anyone to purchase the vehicle. It is unpleasant and discouraging, destroys the joy of a new car. The manuals are excessive but too complicated to understand. Particularly, the different models are all mixed up, and one does not know which features are in or not in the particular vehicle purchased (new, from dealer) including initial dealer demonstrations. All too complicated and as mentioned manuals are equally complicated. There should be a separate manual for each vehicle type: for instance the Starlink quick guide includes on its cover: Crosstrek, Impreza, Legacy, and Outback. The Starlink Owners Manual includes all 3 options: 6.5 inch, 8 inch multimedia plus and 8 inch multimedia navigation. I believe that weak color coding for what applies to which, but it is not at all clear. All is disgusting. I read too late that the 2017 models were downrated for this sort of complication, but mine is a 2018 and experience indicates that the situation has not been improved.