Used 2016 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews - 35 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

2016 Impreza Sport 2.0 Hatchabck
By 4roller

2016 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Sport Premium PZEV 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

After a little more than 2 years of owning my Subaru Impreza Hatchback, I am happy to say it's a great car. There are 3 things I did to make this car a very decent daily driver. 20mm rear sway bar is a must. It reduces the body roll. Next after the stock tires are worn, a set of sticky summer tires. And finally a steering lockdown, which removes the slop from the steering. Aside from that, the aesthetics are up to you. My car came with a sweet STI rear wing. Being a hatchback, the utility of such a small car is excellent. Much roomier than all the cars in the segment. My only dislike from this car is it's available power. For a single driver it's quite adequate for city and even highway use. If you load it up with more than 1 passenger, the engine begins to feel rather sluggish. Nothing can be done about that except learn where the engine produces the most torque. I've found that 2.5k-3.5k is where you get the goods. Coupled with the manual mode and paddle shifters you can have some fun, responsible fun. On the flip side, for an AWD car, it's gas mileage is good. For a lead foot like me, I average 26-27 mostly city and traffic driving in Los Angeles. Ive bested 32mpg on a road trip driving between 70-75mph. The AWD system is very fun in corners. Even with the limited HP, I smile every time I take a fast corner. It's not as sporty as a WRX, but it is a safe reliable utility commuter. If you have that in mind then it's a great buy. For me, my wife and 1 kid in a rear facing car seat, the car is just right.

2nd and Last Subaru!
By Judy

2016 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Premium PZEV 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

This will be my second and last Subaru. This is the second Subaru I have purchased where the windshield has cracked and needs to be replaced. 20,000 miles in and when I drive it this car feels like I am driving an absolute piece of garbage. Definitely don’t understand the hype of Subaru’s. Drove Honda for years and never had any issues. Will definitely be going back to Honda.

All it needs is better interior tech
By Jake

2016 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Sport Limited PZEV 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

After driving a 2006 Impreza, I knew that I wanted to another Subaru, because of the AWD and road handling. This was the primary reason I got another Subaru and I wasn't disappointed. The full time AWD is superior and seamless compared to other SUV's that favor the front wheels and distribute the power to the rear as needed. The vehicle is truly amazing to drive when it comes to experiencing the road in a small car....there's no way I could drive a corolla or civic again. I got a Sport Limited and wanted every option to make it a nicer ride. The proved to be impossible though, because you start pushing 26K+ fully loaded with eyesight and moon-roof, so I had to skip those. I could have got a larger well equipped SUV for that cost from Ford, Toyota or Hyundai. I liked the look and size of the Impreza and don't like the image of the slightly higher-end Legacy. Fuel economy is better than expected with easy driving but goes down quick if you push it. My CVT experience has been good, especially coming from a manual, but it's a little slow when you need to take a quick left turn in traffic. I scored low on tech, because that's my only problem with this car. I would have loved LED driving lights and Carplay and I feel like I should have gotten more with a fully loaded car. The upgraded touch screen feels like it should be the basic audio package, but the you can EQ good sound out of the speakers. The volume control on the steering wheel is not intuitive, as is the arrow buttons, it all feels like one square button. The auto headlights are terrible, they turn off the lights too soon, then they turn on and off again and again in medium light and shade. They function day/night and I don't have to worry about lighting with driving lights and bright low and high beam lights. There is an info screen on the dash with extra steering wheel buttons to control a menu, I'm assuming for eyesight. It's useless because mine doesn't have it. There are still small circular buttons in the dash to control the center info center with MPG's, trip counter and clock and I hate them. It's like 1990 again and it should be controlled with steering wheel buttons like everything else. I cannot recommend the remote start, as the vehicle shuts off when you open the door to enter the car and honks to horn to wake up all the neighbors. That eliminates why I got the factory remote start, as I wanted the cool factor of starting the car as I walk up, in addition to warming it up on cold days. Aside with my issue with almost every piece of tech in this car, I think the AWD, handling in the snow and road experience make up for this. I believe I have avoided several accidents because of handling and brakes. It's a great car, but make sure you think about what important to you. Don't buy it for the tech...buy it for the AWD.

A great safe, small, roomy car with amazing AWD!
By Austin

2016 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Premium PZEV 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

First I will start with the all wheel drive. All this talk about have true symmetrical all wheel drive, I wanted to test it out. I live on a big hill and all our vehicles are either 4 wheel or all wheel. When we got our first big snow and Ice this winter, I went to give it the test. I was amazing how well it stuck to the road, the road being covered with snow and ice. It has lots of going power. Its able to push through 10+ inches of snow easily ( I don't know how much more, we only had about 10 so far) on roads and parking lots not even touched. It will go, but it does not like to stop. I've heard a lot of complaints about not stopping well in the ice and snow, well its a light car and also, no matter the car, its ice! The ABS works very well! As long as you take it nice and easy, it will get you anywhere in the harsh conditions. It was able to get up my driveway with little slipping on the pure ice. It amazed me how well the AWD was. The power is alright, It gets you out on the highway and up to 60 in a decent time. If you are looking for a car with power, steer clear of the Impreza. Don't get me wrong, it has power, just enough to drive and go, not any power the WRX has though. This car is a great "first" car. It is very safe. The safety reading of this is very outstanding. And with the AWD being on all the time, it helps in the rain, rocks, gravel, wet leaves, and of course the snow and ice. I would advise to never turn the traction control off, even on try roads, because you never know when you might need it for it to kick in. The inside is roomy. I'm 6'3", I put the seat all the way back and have lots of room. The people behind me, with the seat back all the way, still have leg room! The trunk is roomy and with the seats down, you can fit lots of stuff in it! I love the Bluetooth and hands free calling, and Bluetooth audio. I love using my paddle shifters to down shift or to use when ever I want to feel sporty. The back up camera is a nice feature. The camera is great and reliable, I still use my mirrors all the time, but since the car is really low, I will never back up and hit a high curve. I use it to see exactly how close I am to the object or line behind me. ALSO, if you are backing out of a parking spot at Walmart with 2 big cars beside you to where you cant see. The camera is just wide enough to tell if a car or person is coming. I highly recommend getting the auto light demming mirror. It helps out a lot! I highly recommend this car. Its an all around safe and great car. Its my first and I have had it for 9 months. I drive 32 miles a day to work and back. It has never let me down through cold cold weather to snow and ice. And for the Impreza being the lowest model of Subaru, they did a great job. Just remember when looking at cars. Spend 22,000 to get an awesome car that is turbo charged and all the jazz inside that is front wheel drive, or spend the same to get a Subaru that is AWD and has everything to get you by. That was my choice, and I'm glad I chose my Subaru. I can drive in the snow with no problem and that turbo sure wouldn't help you!

I don't get it
By Chris

2016 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Sport Premium PZEV 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I don't understand all the hype over Subarus. I have had this Impreza for 6 months and I hate it. The audio system it terrible. There's a delay on the touchscreen every time you want to do something, and the sound is awful. The two front windows go up and down at different speeds. The front seats are too flat. The alignment is off - on a brand new car. It drives straight but the steering wheel is not centered. The aux and usb ports are in the worst place possible - in the back of the center arm rest. Interior storage is very limited. And worst of all...the CVT. The CVT has serious engine braking like you've never experienced. So, when you're trying to drive slow and let off the gas - then get back on - the car starts bucking like crazy. It's impossible to avoid and it drives me crazy. I hate this car and wish I had never believed all the hype over Subarus. I can't wait to get rid of it.