Used 2013 Subaru Impreza Sedan Consumer Reviews - 12 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Subaru Impreza Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

what's a Subaru to you
By MVP

2013 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.0i Premium PZEV 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

dependable,cool in summer,warm in winter (heated seats) goes in the snow!

My Little Dreadful AWD Sedan
By Dave

2013 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.0i Premium PZEV 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased my 2013 Subaru Impreza Premium pre-owned to replace my aging full size truck. I had big expectations for my new little car--improved fuel economy, ease of parking, zippy in traffic, all wheel drive winter safety, connectivity, good stereo (has 6 speakers after all)... typical small car experience.<br> Well, it's delivered on a few of the points. Much better fuel economy than my truck, easy to park, and zippy in traffic--if you're not expecting to pass someone easily. I get mid-20's in a mix of city/highway driving. I call the car little dreadful; because the transmission is harsh, and the car is very loud. <br> For a 2013, Subaru left the sound deadening material OUT of the car. It's soooo loud on the highway, transmission is loud and harsh, the stereo system is a horrible user experience, with it's bad user interface, Bluetooth connectivity issues, and the speakers are horrid. The ground clearance is like 4", so it's going to be an interesting snow driving experience as the weather begins to turn cold and blistery. <br> What do I like about the car? The fuel economy, ease of parking, and ease of engine maintenance.

2013 Class Action Lawsuit Regarding Excessive Oil
By DvaderTheForce

We own a 2013 Subaru Impreza 4 Sedan Premium:

While my wife was driving our car, the low engine oil light came on, then went off about 10 minutes later. I checked the oil it was maybe a 1/4 of an inch below the low line/dot. Brought it to the dealer, and was told it was down 3/4 to 1 quart. It was around 2,850 miles since our last oil & filter change from that dealer. We have around 23,000 miles on the vehicle, mainly highway use, it sits in a garage when not being used, so we do not need to let it sit, and idle to clear it off from the winter elements, and it gets oil & filter changes every 6 months by the same Subaru dealership.

We brought in our vehicle for the 2nd part of the oil consumption test. The said there was no problem, no excess oil consumption.
To us this meant either the dealer did not add enough oil when the did the oil change prior to the oil light going off, of they did the test wrong or the engine healed itself.

Our issue is not only with oil consumption which the dealership tried to previously say was normal, but also with both Subaru’s paint, and the ease at which the side panels dent, in addition to the oil issue. This is a 3 year old vehicle, which looks worse for wear vs our 2006 Hyundai Accent, which cost approximately $10 K less vs our Subaru.

Subaru told us the paint was normal wear/tear for road conditions, weather, etc., and again I said, if that is the case explain why of our vehicles we have owned during our lives never had the same issues (with 1 exception), and why 2006 Hyundai Accent shows none of the same wear, even though it went through similar driving conditions, and weather also. Subaru agreed to a 1 time repainting of the hood only, without admitting to any issues on their part, stating it was “Good Will”, they did not cover the door pillars, and most importantly the front bumper, we also have some scratches on the trunk, don’t know how those got there. I did get the hood repainted which appears better vs the original paint job, at least at this time. Subaru did not have us sign a release for the repainting, which I ended up bringing back to the dealership as paint bleed through to our front driver, and passenger windows, which had to be cleaned up/corrected by the body shop.

Regarding the panels denting easily, the door guards appear notably thinner on the Subaru, and to me if pushed on with minimal force, seem softer. I am obviously not an expert, but I have witnessed my Hyundai get struck by a large suv’s door, and no dent. For the 2 dents on our Subaru’s driver side, 1 was due to a shopping cart which was blown due to the wind, the loose cart rolled on a slight downhill slope a short distance, and caused a small dent. The other we did not see take place, appears an suv or truck opened their door into our vehicle, but are dismayed at the size, and depth of the indentation.

Not only do we feel we are going to get less for our vehicle due to the oil consumption issue, even if an issue is found, and corrected, but also the vehicles appearance. I know diminished value claims can be difficult to prove, but it appears the oil consumption issue was going on for years, and it appears I am not the only one voicing concerns about the issues.

Interior when driving loud, and we have an occasional rattle in the washboard.

******This will be our first, and last Subaru. We may even trade it in, and buy a Honda or a Hyundai again*****
******We got a little under NADA, however I feel the NADA prices reflected the issue with the oil consumption problem.***

The class action lawsuit settlement was BS, as Subaru will determine if the problem, if/when someone has it is related to the oil consumption issues.

Also the red light instrument panel sucks to see at night. The engine is very loud, sounding like a plane. GOOD BYE SUBARU!

Not what they used to be
By Mary

2013 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.0i PZEV 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I have owned 4 subarus, so I have some experience. Traded in my reliable 2009 impreza to buy the sporty redesigned 2013 with CVT. bad move! In two years, I have replaced 6 headlight bulbs. They blow continually. Subaru says this can be common. Ok, so not a great big deal, at least compared to my latest problem. 68,000 miles and the CVT is shot. Makes a loud groaning noise. Subaru says the tranny is bad- bad bearings. It's off of warranty at 60 k. Cost to fix $8000.00!!!!!!!!! Why should a tranny die at 68k? I'm a teacher. Don't drive on snow days, hardly during the summer, don't tow, do offloading and commute on the interstate, so no stop and go driving. They say extreme driving conditions can cause problems. Im not extreme, and isnt subaru billed as the most dependable take anywhere through anything car? Great advertising but not true? Needless to say I'm distraught and really disappointed. Nissan extended their cvt warranty to double 10 yrs/120,000k. Why is that? Be careful, and really research this. It is more prevent than is know and this has yet to be exposed as it should. Cars are just beginning to hot the 70-80k mark. Buyer be ware. I'm done with Subaru...sad about this, but the risk is too great.

I would avoid subura 2013...
By tina

2013 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.0i PZEV 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Had rotors go at 30,000 miles (1 and half years old) The dealer would not honor the warren-tee, instead "turned them" looking for a different car or at least year.. don't get 2013