Used 2009 Subaru Impreza Hatchback Consumer Reviews

$12,995

Used Impreza for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Mini Lexus 300

J Snow, 12/11/2009

Previously drove 2000 and 2002 Impreza hatchbacks. This one is by far the quietest and smoothest driving. Gas mileage about same as 2002 2.5l. Really like the window door frames. Hate limited visibility of sloping back of car and temporary roof rack mounting kit. Standard equipment Bridgestone Potenza tires ride well. Added sheepskin seat covers make front seats comfortable. Lost a couple of wheel well plastic screws holding front fender - sloppy construction. 5-speed gear box smoother than past models, accelerates nicely. Less cargo space than past Impreza models. Best looking Impreza so far and dead ringer as little sister to Lexus 300 SUV.

Great for only 7 years, disappointing longevity.

Randy Buss, 08/03/2015
Outback Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

First 7 years it was a good, however, I didn't get longevity from it. On 7-31-15 the engine suddenly blew without reason. Two weeks prior, I checked the fluids (oil in particular) and all levels were good, but on the way home from work I suddenly felt and heard loud clanking sounds along with a drop in acceleration/power going up a hill on the highway. I was fortunate to be approaching a rest area exit when this occurred so as to immediately pull off the highway just as the engine stalled. First thing I checked was the oil level, and the dip stick was completely dry. When the tow truck arrived, the towing mechanic started it and immediately turned it back off and said it sounds like something was ready to fly apart. The next day they informed me the engine is blown and needs to be replaced with a rebuilt or new engine. Estimated cost: $4,500 to $5,000 to replace the blown engine with a rebuilt engine. What upsets me and disturbs me the most about this is I took meticulous care of the vehicle, as I do with all of our vehicles. Furthermore, there were no warning lights that appeared when the engine blew, until the engine stalled out. No low oil pressure lights, no low oil level lights, no check engine lights, nothing! And how is it that it burned through four quarts of the oil withing a two week span. When this occurred the car only had 120,000 miles on it, and was only 7 years old. Granted, I haven't had any issues with it until now, but I also hadn't planned on having to fork out $4000-$5000 for a rebuilt engine, or purchase a new vehicle for at least another 10 years. All of the vehicles I've owned (Pontiac, Mercury, Dodge, Nissan) I've used for at least 15 years each and well into the 250,000 mile range, and I've never had any major problems with them. With the research I've done since this incident, I've discovered a class action law suite against Subaru for an issue with their engines that strongly resembles what happened with my Subaru engine, to which prosecuting attorneys are disclosing facts that Subaru has known about the issue and has neither disclosed information about the engine defect to their customers nor has Subaru done anything to correct the known issue. Instead, Subaru continued to sell cars with a serious engine defect, to which they knew about, which could be life threatening under certain circumstances. Prior to this incident, I planned on making this car last me another 10 years, at which time I would purchase only one more vehicle prior to retiring. As a result of this incident and the class action law suite against Subaru that I've discovered, I will NEVER purchase another Subaru. Since I've now purchased two other new vehicles since this incident with the Subaru, (2016 Honda Fit EX & a 2018 Honda HR-V EX), I've discovered how inferior the Subaru vehicles are in comparison to Honda. If you want comfort, technology, handling, and most of all reliability, go with Honda! I never realized how uncomfortably low and stiff the impreza ride is until I checked out Honda vehicles.

One Year Old Now

Randy, 10/05/2009

I've had my Impreza Outback Sport for a year now. The ride and responsiveness of this vehicle is superb for a smaller car. Interior room and comfort is wonderful, and road noise is minimal. Truly a wonderful vehicle. The only thing this car suffers from is a very poor quality paint. After only six months it had literally dozens of large 1/4" paint chips on the hood and roof, and every time I looked there seemed to be more. Fortunately, Subaru is backing up their product, and it is going in for a new paint job on the hood and roof tomorrow. I wish they would paint the entire vehicle just to make sure the rest of the paint on the car is ok too, but I don't thing that is going to happen.

2.5 GT Impreza/ Outstanding

Juan, 09/12/2010

I am very happy with this outstanding and very fast car. It is fun to drive and I enjoy leaving other more expensive sports cars behind me when they sneak up on me in the fast lane. I laugh when I press down on the gas peddle and just see them fade away in my mirrors. Also my 2.5 GT has the 4- Speed Auto/SPORTSHIFT Transmission. So I just put it in drive and enjoy it!

My Suby

pea619, 02/05/2009

This is the greatest car I have purchased thus far. It is my 4th Subaru, I presently also have a 2006 325i, which I love, but this car is even better than it. It really has everything you could want - AWD, traction control and stability control(in the base model). What other car can give you all that and still be adorable, affordable and have the "cars that drive great after 300000 miles" Subaru name.

So far so good

Phil, 10/12/2009

Bought my Impreza in May after putting over 190,000 miles on my 2000 Volkswagen Golf. I feel that the Impreza offered the best for the money compared to the other cars in its class. It may not get the best fuel mileage but makes up for it, in my opinion, by offering AWD. I drive pretty conservatively and have averaged 28 mpg in 11,100 miles. While the tactile quality of the interior may not match that of my VW, the overall design and ergonomics are very good. The Subaru dealership experience that I've had so far, for oil changes, has been very good. Wonderful car.

WRX Finally!!

Eclem, 11/14/2009

I've owned 4 Impreza's so, sure; I drink da Kool-Aid. I had my own mfgr's. rep. business for 17 years and Impza's were THE answer for lots of winter driving all over New England. The performance / price quotient was perfect. Am now retired and driving less than 10k / yr - so I finally got the "slightly" impractical / monster fun WRX 5-door Premium. AWD has saved my bacon for many years so I had to stay with it - and Subaru reliability has been so solid - had to stay there too. Yep, the audio quality is lacking but I don't really need much juice to listen to my redneck talk shows. FM reception IS very good - we live in the country so it must be. Did spring for Winter 205's on 16x7 Alloys.

Not quite what I expected

coffeebean2, 02/02/2010

We have a 2006 Outback and love it. So I wanted another Subaru because of the AWD. Considered another Outback but went with the Outback Sport. The fuel economy is not what I expected, the automatic shifts later than when I think it should (possibly contributing to the fuel economy issue), and the manual driver's seat gradually sinks down. I filled up the gas tank on Saturday, drove approximately 30 miles in-town, and I'm down below 3/4 of a tank. That's similar to what I was seeing with my 2001 Chevy Blazer. Also, snow gets packed up behind the wheels - when I try to kick it off, the splash guards look like they're about to come off.

purchase mistake

subylover, 02/15/2010

I bought an Impreza Outback Sport and returned it a week later--traded in for a Legacy. The inside was cheap and the radio was awful. However, the seats were the real problem. They were so uncomfortable (no support at all) that I had bad back pain--it was hard to walk after a few days.

09 WRX > 08 WRX

Patrick, 10/17/2008

I was shopping for a new car, and looked at the 08 STI among others. Waited and test drove the new 09 WRX and felt that it fit my daily driving needs much better. Don't get me wrong, the STI is still a beast, but the updated 09 WRX with 265 HP, better suspension, etc, and some STI looks in the grille and rear spoiler make the WRX a great purchase for most daily drivers. Great handling and smooth power so far. Expect easy maintenance and good reliability. Interior fits well and looks good, just some hard plastics here and there, nothing bad.

51050