2017 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews - 136 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Second new Forester and still the best out there
By Al Zimmermann

2017 Subaru Forester 2.5i PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I bought a new 20017 Forester after hitting a deer and totaling my 2014 Forester, but not before test driving just about everything in its category and price range. The base model Forester still came out on top in overall performance and value. I was not interested in buying an expensive or highly optioned model of any car because of how and where I was going to use it. Being a good off road, as well as on road car, is important to me. As I found out, most base models do not perform very well and require upgrades to be competent. The Forester was the exception. I have owned this car about a year and a half and it has met all my needs and expectations. Miles per gallon is up to 31.5 which is better than the 2014 model I had, probably due to a change in gearing. This car is the best out there for the money.

Don't understand the hype
By Judd Burnham

2017 Subaru Forester 2.5i Touring PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I'm not impressed at all. I've owned many cars and for $30,000 I don't I got my money's worth. The ride is jarring and the leather seats on my Touring edition are like sitting on cement. For a Touring edition the front passenger seat is like sitting on a booster seat at McDonald's. Technology. What technology? My 93 Mercedes Benz was more impressive. The vehicle is good in the bad weather. My Wife and I have four vehicles and avoid taking the Forester as much as possible. I'll give Subaru credit for that. Otherwise, I don't understand the hype.

Good but
By CW

2017 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I really enjoy this car. It is easy to maneuver and park. The Eyesight safety system works well and is a great feature for us mature drivers who maybe don’t drive as well as we used to. The AWD system prevents snow and ice; at least in North Texas where I live. Since I bought my first Forester in 2015 we have had negligible winter precipitation. It does very well on soft sand though, and that is why I bought it. I fish the Texas gulf coast and so far it has taken me where I want to go. Thats the good. The bad is very hard seats and no soft place to put my knee on long trips. There is a dead pedal, however. The mandatory moon roof in all but the base model takes up interior space. The CVT is a pain. It bogs down on a normal start and will sometimes shift hard in the higher gears. There is a lot of noise in the cabin. That being said I’m going to get a new 2019.

Subaru does not build them like they use to.
By Rick

2017 Subaru Forester 2.0XT Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

Subaru has a lost a long time customer due to quality drop that seems to have gotten worse over the years. Don't be like me and think because I had such great luck with my past 3 Subaru's the new ones should be just as great. Night and day difference. Run do not walk away from Subaru until they change things up. Record sales = larger volume of cars going out the door = quality taking a big dump.

so good I bought another Subaru
By homerkc

2017 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

We've owned the Forester for 22 months and it has been so good we bought another Subaru! Very comfortable and efficient, with superb visibility. Only after driving a car like the Forester do you realize how difficult it is to see out of most new cars. Had the Forester on a trip to mountains in CO, and while others struggled to get up an inclined driveway which was wet and soft, the Forester walked up with no problem. Eyesight is amazing - everything works just as promised, making you feel very safe. It's no wonder Subaru sets sales records month after month - it's as good a car as any on the market.