Used 2015 Subaru Forester SUV Consumer Reviews - 121 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2015 Subaru Forester SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

My first and won't be my last Subaru
By Tony Mercado

2015 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i Touring PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I've had the Forester nearly 4 years now and put almost 75K miles on it. My first impression when buying the car was the front seat wasn't as comfortable as i would have liked and there is virtually no storage "cubby holes" in the cabin. The upside is I knew which model, options and color I wanted and got each one for the right price!
I had not experienced the oil consumption problem until I made a mistake early in 2017. I crawled under the vehicle from the side and accidentally drained the transmission fluid thinking it was the oil pan. I added oil thinking i was refilling the empty engine and started the car. At the dealership getting this corrected I was told I wasn't the first nor will be the last owner to do this! Since then I've had to check the oil level periodically but for the life of me can't figure out where the oil is going (no leaks or smoke).
The sunroof is huge and didn't care for it at first but use it often now. The leather seat itself is comfortable but I'm 5' 7" so my elbows rest a little wider than I prefer. Gas mileage is around 28 mpg on average overall which is only 3-4 mpg's lower than my last compact car. Cargo space is smaller than most in its class but adequate for what I use it for. The steering wheel material started peeling off where I grip it a year ago and looks pretty cheap. The sound system kicks @$$. The service intervals are set far enough apart the cost is kept relatively low to maintain the Forester.
I spend about 4-5 hours a day in my car driving to clients and I'm happy with my purchase.

Never again!
By D Stallings

2015 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

AC will only work effectively while car is in motion. The fan is very noisy when on 3 or 4. Bluetooth is total garbage. It has been intermittent from the start and now it won't even go into pair mode. The dealership techs have no clue how to fix it. USB port and auxiliary jack are in very difficult locations to see. CVT transmission is very similar to a go cart belt drive train. It also takes several seconds to engage when shifting from reverse to drive. When you back out onto a street you better make sure there isn't another car in sight. The engine is underpowered and it over revs when accelerating. Rear cargo light is useless. It's too low and too dim. Front console arm rest is too short and too far back. Interior materials feel and look cheap. Video screen is too small making it marginally usefull for backing. A light wind blows the car around more than my full size cargo van which is like a sail in the wind. Stock battery is very light duty. It will go dead very easily. Dashboard has several annoying rattles. The list goes on. I bought this car new based on Subaru's reputation and many reviews. It has been my worst new car purchase by far. I dislike the car more every day and will never buy another Subaru. They may have been good cars at some point but now they are riding on their past reputation. I can not, in good conscience, recommend Subaru Foresters to anyone. It has been a huge disappointment.

When life gives you lemons . . .
By Staci

2015 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I strongly advice anyone thinking about purchasing a Subaru to read all reviews. Subaru has a known problem with oil consumption issues among their entire line of vehicles and the consumer has to pay the ultimate price. I purchased a brand new Forester in 2015 and at approximately 2500 miles the check oil light came on. Long story short after numerous trips back and fourth to the dealership and after several oil consumption tests (that the dealership had to restart due to overfilling) I had to get a new engine in my car at approximately 8K miles. Have had numerous alerts regarding check audio system, check ABS brakes and dynamic controls. The dealership refused to buy my car back from me but offered an extended warranty instead. I am now stuck with this lemon that requires almost monthly trips to the dealership to have the oil topped off. On my way there this weekend to check out my new audio system problem where my Bluetooth no longer functions with the car. It will be hard to make lemonade out of this lemon . . . Thanks Subaru.

My Subaru saved my life!
By Subaboohoo

2015 Subaru Forester SUV 2.0XT Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

Was in a major accident- not our fault- air bags blew, frame bent.....we walked away without a scratch!

Great car with only avg fuel econ
By Trust my Suby

2015 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

CVT quite different from my old 2002 Forester, mostly in delay of acceleration. Average fuel economy keeps me from being ecstatic. Subaru really needs to get on the green wagon...really. Should be ashamed to not be offering competitive hybrids/electric vehicles, absolutely no excuse for a major auto manufacturer to ignore alternatives.