2019 Subaru Ascent SUV Consumer Reviews - 40 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2019 Subaru Ascent SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ascent model:

Transmission Issues
By Alexa

2019 Subaru Ascent SUV Limited 8-Passenger 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

We have had the vehicle for 2 months and have had I serviced for the transmission twice already. On several occasions when turning on the vehicle, there is the RAB light, no eyesight, check engine, check transmission, check at oil temp, check owner’s manual. On the first visit, we received the vehicle within 2 days and they said they could not locate the issue and they believed it was a bug. On the second occasion, they kept my vehicle for 2 weeks stating the part needed to be replaced was the “bell-body” and the part was back ordered. We have since received the vehicle back and within one week we have had a reoccurrence of the issue THREE times. I now have to take the car back in for a third time in 2 months.

Wait to buy
By Will

2019 Subaru Ascent SUV Touring 7-Passenger 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

My Ascent is only 3 weeks old and I'm afraid I have a lemon. A very expensive mistake. The transmission has issues and the gas mileage is horrible. The drive quality is so bad. The car is very unresponsive which makes for a poor ride.

CVT transmission failure
By Chris

2019 Subaru Ascent SUV Limited 7-Passenger 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

As a follow up to my prior review the car is getting a new transmission. We have been told that there are 30 transmissions coming from Japan. Estimated arrival is not until at least December 22nd and it is estimated to take at least a week to install the new transmission. Car has been out of service for three weeks. Car has 5,000 miles on it. Unless Subaru has addressed the issue with the slipping CVT chain, installing a new transmission is a band-aid approach and risks having the transmission fail again at 10,000 miles.

Ignition and Lights issue
By snig

2019 Subaru Ascent SUV Limited 8-Passenger w/OP 23 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

The ignition has been cranking up like an old car. It happened twice for now. The second time it happened the engine did not start and it showed check engine light.
The service said they cant replicate the problem so they had to do nothing.
Is this happening to anyone else with the new ascent? The headlights are staying on for the whole time of the ride. The setting is in auto. I tried to change the settings but its the same.
Before this happened I witnessed a "malfunction" kind of situation. Like the headlights turning on and off several times in just a few minutes. (Even though I was driving I witnessed it because the console lights have also changed its intensity. - the console lights are less intense when the lights are on and vice-versa).
In the picture you can see the sun is opposite the car (shadow) and yet the lights are turned on! This is really annoying facing problems with the brand new car.

Great vehicle with lots of safety features
By KT

2019 Subaru Ascent SUV Premium 8-Passenger 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

Didn't think I was going to find a SUV that will have a balance of size and comfort but after checking out Subaru Ascent, there is hope afterall. Ascent combines 3 rows of seats that is not cramped unlike most other midsize SUV. What is most impressive is that a lot of the safety features are included with the vehicle. Eyesight technology is so cool as it acts like an early warning monitor. Another feature that is really nice is the blind spot detection which warns you if there are vehicles near you that you might not notice. I was a bit worried about a 4 cylinder SUV but pleasantly surprised on the acceleration this vehicle has. The exterior is not as exciting as some other cars we looked at but considering all other features for the price - can't be beat. Mileage may not be as expected from the specs listed but still better than my older 6 cylinder. Happy with my Subaru.