2019 Subaru Ascent Consumer Reviews - 27 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2019 Subaru Ascent Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ascent model:

Serious Safety Issue with 2nd Row Bottom Leaver
By Mitch

2019 Subaru Ascent Limited 8-Passenger w/OP 23 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

My husband and I have test-drived the new Subaru Ascent. We were looking so forward to ordering a new one to replace our Subaru Outback . We really like Subarus , we also owned a Subaru Forester.
I would like to point at a safety design issue that it is a deal breaker for us and it will probably cause a serious accident sooner than later.
All other cars with a 2nd row seat tilt we have seen , has the tilt leaver in the side or top side of the seat. Subaru has one of those, but somehow another leaver was added to the bottom side of the seat, where the back positioning leaver usually is. That bottom leaver can be released with one finger and it will tilt the back of the seat to the front forcefully and release the back-front sliding lock.
Any child in a child safety seat or booster seat can unlock the bottom leaver, however their legs not touching the ground would prevent them to lock it back in place, as any adult would do if pressing the leaver by mistake. It would make them fold to the front even with a child car seat attached . If a parent panics and breaks, as the car seat is unlock it will slid to the front and slam the child against the front passenger or driver seats, crushing the child further.
This is a serious safety issue which has several very easy solutions (change bottom leaver position, eliminate bottom leaver or create a lock mechanism for that leaver while in motion). I have to add that the top leaver released in the second row is not accessible for a child, it is difficult even for an adult to reach while seating in that seat so I have no complains about that one. I will post this review to several websites to highlight the issue to other parents considering buying the Ascent, as I am sure one child will try to push the bottom leaver at one point.

Subaru struts with the new accent!
By anthony

2019 Subaru Ascent Limited 7-Passenger 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

Great new addition to the Subaru stable with the new Accent! Accent is a well thought out and rounded SUV and compares equal to if not better than most SUV in its class! The transmission is one of the smoothes transmission I have ever encountered! Subaru is at the top of my list for vehicles to replace my aging minivan.

waiting to go mileage to go up
By paul j sawyer

2019 Subaru Ascent Touring 7-Passenger 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

I have owned the ascent touring since July 6th we have 2600 miles now and we are still only getting 16.8 to 18 miles per gallon ,the dealers say it will go up but no luck there I read because the touring version is heavier it may be a mile or two less . I had a 2016 Crosstrek before much smaller but great on handling great gas .

Just What I Wanted
By Liesel

2019 Subaru Ascent Touring 7-Passenger 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

I waited and waited for the Ascent to come out. I wanted the touring model so each of our 2 kids could have their own individual captain's chair and easier access to the way back. I bought one of the first few available in Los Angeles. Wanted to be able to take a crew of folks for carpools and on our many road trip vacations. This is my 3rd Subaru and I trust them! They have all kept us safe and sound, with very little to no car issues. Compared to my 2002 Outback, this is incredible! Its very comfortable, all the safety features, all the latest in technology and comfort! The variable cruise control is awesome, especially in traffic. We're able to load 4 bikes and paddle boards and haul ourselves to the mountains! I haven't used it in the snow yet but am very pleased so far. I was actually hoping for a bit better gas mileage but I guess that's what I get for buying an SUV! (my first!)

My Ascent experience
By P Mock

2019 Subaru Ascent Premium 8-Passenger 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

Vehicle is very nice. Smart looking, comfortable, handles well, not too large & it's a 4 cylinder. The interior is interesting. Dash & doors have a cream colored area no matter what color interior. Very upset that I can't get a navigation system unless I order the package that includes the moon roof. I don't want a moon roof & even tho the brochure states the navigational system is optional; it isn't without the moon roof. If I use a cargo carrier or carry a kayak, how much am I going to see thru the moon roof & I'm also afraid it would freak my dogs out. So for me, it's totally useless. But if I want the navigation system, I'm forced to take it. Will have to buy a Garmin & save thousands if I get this vehicle minus nav system & moon roof.