Used 2001 Saturn L-Series Consumer Reviews

Used L-Series for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...22

Pros
Cons

Better than I expected

AD, 01/03/2006

Decent car, too bad it is no longer made. Not fast: highway merging means use of high rpms, but the engine doesn't mind. Fuel economy acceptable but not stunning (26-27 avg). Rented a 2.2 sedan with auto, very weak - if looking for used go with 5spd. Only major repair issue was the clutch slave cylinder at 25K (under warranty) but is on the way out again and will cost $$ (requires tranny removal on this car), otherwise nothing except oil changes, brake job and new tires. I even have a hitch and towed a 10 ft trailer 2200 miles to NM. Gripes: handbrake is too close to passenger's left leg, bar behind back seats in split fold mode, notchy gear change, no abs.

Mistake

jjavim, 08/05/2009

I bought this car thinking it was great. It was for about 1 yr then perpetual coolant leaks, alignment problems, electrical problems, never ending sensor problems, low mpg, hard to find parts, and expensive parts became the too often crisis. I love the feel and drive but trying to keep up with the mechanic's bill is too much to bear. My Toyota has never had a problem and is only a year newer. Beware of this model if you are not a mechanic or on a tight budget. I was going to give it to my daughter for school but I don't think we could afford it. Won't even qualify for Cash for Clunkers. I would have to give them money to take it.

I will never own another Saturn

planetside, 07/01/2011

I bought this car in 2004 with only 42,000 miles on it. It now has 165,000 miles and has given me nothing but problems since it hit 100,000. Replaced the heater core twice, water pump twice, oil filter, hoses, gas gauge doesn't work right now, and I've replaced multiple spark plugs. I had a Nissan before and it never had any problems at all besides basic maintenance and it had over 250,000 miles on it!!

Great Car

Greg Hayes, 08/21/2008

My L200 is really a fully dressed L300 except it has the 4 banger engine. We have had the dealer do all recommended servicing and other than a blown fuse and the normal the wear and tear items, we have not had any problems with this, our 5th Saturn!

Saturn L200 was a great car for me

dg, 08/23/2008

I bought this car used with an extended warranty. The 1st yr the computer system died, but the warranty paid in full. For the remaining 5 yrs. that I drove it, it was dependable and got decent gas mileage. I recently totaled it and was amazed my car sustained less body damage than the big Mercedes who hit me on the passenger side. Would definitely recommend the Saturn.

12345...22