Used 2017 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used 1500 for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

5.7 Hemi VS 3.6 Pentastar (I've owned both)

Chris Percha, 05/24/2017
Tradesman 4dr Quad Cab SB (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I recently purchased a 2017 Ram 1500 Tradesman quad cab 4x4 with the 3.6 Pentastar V6, 8 speed automatic, and 3.55 limited slip rear. My prior vehicle was a 2014 Ram 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab 4x4 with the 5.7 Hemi, 8 speed automatic and 3.92 limited slip rear. I loved my 2014 ram. I drove it for 90,000 miles with zero mechanical issues. I didn't even change the brakes or replace a single light bulb on it. Needless to say this experience made me a big fan of Ram Trucks. I wanted something a little more economical this time, so I switched to the V6 and a more basic trim. The V6 has adequate power. I've even used it to tow a small trailer. So far I am getting 1.5 mpg more with the V6 and I no longer have to use the mid-grade fuel recommended for the Hemi. I am getting about 560 miles out of a tank of gas (upgraded 32 gallon tank). Next time I will definitely go back to the V8. The V6 is respectable, but the difference in performance is definitely worth sacrificing the almost nonexistent fuel savings. The V6 and 8 speed automatic work seamlessly together. The trans never seems busy and the shifts are so smooth you may need to look at your RPMs to know when a shift has occurred. I opted for the cloth bench seats, which are very comfortable, even more comfortable than the cloth bucket seats in my 2014. I opted for the 5.0 stereo with the stock speakers which are actually pretty decent (better than GM's Bose upgrade). It does a great job of reading the 128 GB thumb drive i store my music on. My 2014 Ram had the Alpine sound system with navigation. The sound quality was great. I would highly recommend the Alpine upgrade if it's available in your trim level. The suspension is super smooth and absorbs the bumps on my heavily rutted dirt road with ease. I have found the same road to be pretty jarring in many other vehicles. The brakes are powerful and as mentioned above, have an exceptionally long life. I’ve been able to go through 18 inch deep snow in these trucks with confidence. Having the optional tow hooks is very handy for pulling people out of ditches in the winter or just yanking out stumps. I can't say enough good things about these trucks. As good as this truck is, I've driven the redesigned 2019 model and it's significantly better. You should definitely drive one before you make your decision.

Great buy! IT IS A 5.7 HEMI NOT A 6 CYL

Michael, 11/01/2017
Big Horn 4dr Quad Cab SB (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I now have 49000 miles on truck and still running great. Getting on avg 19 in town and 21 on hwy. Now I admit that I do not have a lead foot.It has a 5.7 hemi not the V6 as shown below doesn't offer that option to choose from. Lord knows why?

Tried the rest, Bought the BEST

G. Marsh, 07/30/2017
Big Horn 4dr Quad Cab SB (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

Test drive the other manufactures 1500 (half ton). You'll notice the difference! Absolutely this is the BEST all around!

Rented Then Bought One - Love It!

James S., 05/30/2018
SLT 4dr Quad Cab 4WD SB (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I had a prior review for a 2017 rental that was generally positive. By chance I found a prior rental (2017) on craigslist with 12K miles and bought it. Same exact color (red). I love this thing! The gas mileage averages over 20 with mostly town driving (better than my Cadillac). It was easy to get the USB drive interface working. Lucked out and got one with the upgraded gauge cluster (highly recommend). The ride is very smooth and quiet - comparable to my Cadillac. Love the height. Voice command not that great, but the phone and USB interfaces more than compensate. The V6 is more than adequate. The only con is that it's a little tough to park and fit in the garage, but you have to expect that with a full-size truck. Glad I bought the Quad Cab instead of the Crew with the long bed (now that's a battleship!). The 5' 7" bed normally found on the Crew Cabs is just too short. Better to trade back seat space for bed space. A very attractive and practical all-around vehicle. Thinking of buying a Laramie and selling my other cars. The radio that turns on every time you start is annoying but I just learned to turn the volume all the way down instead. Test drove several V8 Laramies and didn't like the engine as much (plus MUCH worse mileage). Almost impossible to find a V6 Laramie. Owned it 7 months now - zero problems. Still highly recommend. My favorite vehicle out there. Update after one year @ 23,000 miles: Still no problems! My favorite vehicle by far. Very comfortable seats and super smooth ride. Paint looks as good as ever. Upholstery still in excellent shape. We live where it's muddy, so I bought rubber floor mats. Highly recommend the V6 quad cab.

Very Nice

J Stamps, 03/24/2017
SLT 4dr Quad Cab 4WD SB (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

The basic truck is perfect. Plenty of power, great suspension, quiet cabin, comfortable seats. Like the high ride for the ability to see far - plus less fatiguing for long trips. My only beef is the stereo. Like all FCA products, it automatically turns on each time you start. The only fix is to turn the volume all the way down rather than pushing the power button. Also, it only reads USB drives up to 4 GB (FAT32). It would not play my 64 or 128 GB NTFS-formatted USB drives. Fords are better here. Fuel economy display and other Driver Information Center functions are not intuitive (had to read the manual). Gas mileage was as advertised. Liked the outside door handles for the quad cab doors (Ford and GM require you to open the front doors to access the buried rear door handles). Great looking exterior! Under hood is an amusing sight with the 3.6 - about two feet of empty space between the radiator and engine. Still, I'd take this over the Ford's amped-up 2.7 with that annoying start/stop feature. Better to suffer slightly lower MPG than to feel annoyed most of the time. I never considered a Chrysler product before, but the trucks seem to have better owner reviews than the Fords and GMs. I'll probably end up buying one of these. A better truck for less money. I'll just buy and install a proper stereo from Crutchfield.