2017 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Consumer Reviews - 12 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 1500 model:

Rented Then Bought One - Love It!
By James S.

2017 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT 4dr Quad Cab 4WD SB (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I had a prior review for a 2017 rental that was generally positive. By chance I found a prior rental (2017) on craigslist with 12K miles and bought it. Same exact color (red). I love this thing! The gas mileage averages over 20 with mostly town driving (better than my Cadillac). It was easy to get the USB drive interface working. Lucked out and got one with the upgraded gauge cluster (highly recommend). The ride is very smooth and quiet - comparable to my Cadillac. Love the height. Voice command not that great, but the phone and USB interfaces more than compensate. The V6 is more than adequate. The only con is that it's a little tough to park and fit in the garage, but you have to expect that with a full-size truck. Glad I bought the Quad Cab instead of the Crew with the long bed (now that's a battleship!). The 5' 7" bed normally found on the Crew Cabs is just too short. Better to trade back seat space for bed space. A very attractive and practical all-around vehicle. Thinking of buying a Laramie and selling my other cars.

2011 ram 4wd 5.7 liter
By Greg Zale

2017 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Big Horn 4dr Quad Cab 4WD SB (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

In 7yrs I've changed the oil, the tires, and that's it only put 40,000 miles since purchased new, the only problem I had was the passenger door power lock solenoid was repaired in warranty , the front end seemed low to me after a few years and I had the shocks replaced to raise it back up basically a 1.5 " lift up front , it has great power and fuel mileage for the size of it , I get almost 20mpg highway and ticked up to 22mpg when I was drafting a semi, anyway love it.

Professional driver
By Patrick

2017 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Tradesman 4dr Quad Cab 4WD SB (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

One of the worst trucks I ever bought I had mine for for 6 months and the transmission went out if it only takes 6 months for a transmission to go out.

Traded the Challenger R/T Hemi for 1500 Hemi Quad
By alan mann

2017 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT 4dr Quad Cab SB (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

Okay so we had a 2015 R/T Challenger Pearl Black/Red Leather Guts...loved it but wanted a truck that we could love the way we loved our Challenger. Being a Mopar man most of my life of course I got the Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi, 3.92 Limited Slip with trailer tow pkg and Nav with the Alpine system. Came with the bed liner which is the only thing I may take out and replace with the spray in liner. Believe it or not people told me when I had my Challenger I would never get more than 18mpg. (5.7, A-8). Well got an average of 22 over the 26000 miles we had it. Now with this Ram they are saying I will never see more than 15 mpg. Well wrong again. I am still in the process of breaking it in but I am averaging 19.2mpg. Yes we do live in the country and it is more rural with rolling hills, but still getting that on break in we'll take it. The ride in this compared to my friends GMC Z71 2017 he just bought is so much nicer it is ridiculous. He has the 5.3, 355 rear and you can tell the difference between the coil springs in the Ram vs the leaf in his. Comfort wise I'd say the Ram has a little bit of an edge as his seats are more contoured but not as comfy. I chose not to get the crew cab Ram for 2 reasons. $$ wise the crew cab came in 4k more and for the difference I could not see it. Heated seats and steering wheel and shorter bed. Yes the crew also had more room in the back, but seriously how many times do most of us carry people in the back unless you still got kids. The crew cab also did not have the rear window defroster, no Nav ( but Nav capable) and fold down arm rest in the rear and my arms don't go back that far. Basically $$ for $$ the Quad Cab Ram 1500 vs the Crew Cab was our choice. Now my buddy who got the GMC SLT Z71 spent 14k for that puppy and no way can anyone justify 14k for a 4x4 GMC vs Dodge. Heck even the Ram1500 4x4 Crew Cab set up like the GMC was still 4-5k less. So bottom line is dependability, comfort, style, and overall satisfaction all those GM and Ford boys ( especially Ford, aluminum bed really) can keep on dreaming and when they finally settle on getting a real pick up truck they can buy a Ram. Can ya guess by now that I am one happy camper.

Great buy! IT IS A 5.7 HEMI NOT A 6 CYL
By Michael

2017 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Big Horn 4dr Quad Cab SB (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

This my 2nd ram but my first one with hemi v8. The first one had the 5.2 ltr. I have never had a problem with reliability on my first one and my 2017 is running great. I do want to note that I ran it on 87 octane for first 7000 miles and ran fine, but one time I started it up (not cold start) noticed for a split second a little engine knock. Only for a slight moment. So I switched to the recommended 89 and haven't had it happen again. So go with recommended and not the acceptable that Manuel states. Other than that I have had no issues whatsoever. Very happy. Interior is very pleasing and body style stands out compared to other brands. My son-n-law has a Toyota Tundra that drinks the gas (around 15 city/17 hwy) where I'm averaging 18.9 city/22 hwy. The interior on his is cheap and nothing noteworthy about it. Body style is nothing to write home about. He only had 30000 on it when he had to have the rear main seal replaced. Love my Ram!