Used 2012 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Consumer Reviews - 23 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 1500 model:

Good Truck
By Jim

2012 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT 4dr Quad Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 6A)

terrific vehicle, a little hard to get in and out of.

Dropped valve
By Hard money

2012 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Sport 4dr Quad Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

5.7 broke exhaust bolt off at 40k and dropped a valve wrecking the motor at 80k. Both are cases of using poor quality hardware.

RAM Costly to Keep
By Joe Bourgeois

2012 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Laramie 4dr Quad Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Folks this my second RAM and I went all out when I bought this truck, did a spec and got everything I could wish for except navigation in the radio. It's a RAM Bighorn, quad cab, 4x4, 5.7 hemi, cargo boxes, and loaded. I felt I had the best truck on the market better than Ford, Chevy, GMC, Toyota, and Nissan and had researched them all. First issue was identified phones to work with truck Bluetooth radio didn't work well and most calls were dropped. After much research learned best radio installed with an out of date android operating system with no way to update. Also learned talking to RAM customer service a huge waste of time. I paid the truck off this month and was planning to do scheduled maintenance at 120,000 and became an owner. Same week check engine light came on put in trusted shop and had plugs (16 ), oil in front, rear, and transfer case changed, and belt. Advised check engine light from shorted coil and had changed. Planned to have radiator flushed and fluid changed. A/C for two years has not cooled well and mechanics have been trying to find a leak, I live in hot South Louisiana, prior to flushing radiator had them find leak advised in evaporator coil requiring weeks and dash board to be pulled. Also advised truck has a cracked exhaust manifold. Driving home and discussing scheduling of new needed repairs with wife whose vehicle I borrowed for the days vehicle was in shop, check engine light back on. Next week back in shop, no issue found advised if light comes back on bring to dealer, problem with computer. Driving home check engine light back on and brought to another shop where at presently. Advised cam shaft failure, no compression # 3 cylinder, may need new engine. Later advised could fix, and having cam shaft, lifters, timing belt, changed. Also having exhaust manifold, and evaporator core fixed and changed. Hopefully I'll get the vehicle back sometime this month after approximately $6,000.00 of maintenance and repairs. Note also two years into vehicle clothe seat bottom on drivers side failed $380.00 to replace, and three years into vehicle wheel tracking sensors failed. Note mechanic has advised me he has three RAM's in his shop with same problems, and when in at dealer trying to get parts had two mechanics ahead of him trying to get same parts. This truck was not cheap and I struggled to pay if off and now I will be struggling to just keep it rolling. This truck has been very well maintained, all service done, and not driven hard. RAM is aware of the short comings, issues with evaporator cores, cam shafts, lifters, tracking sensors, poor quality seat covers, and exhaust manifold and for their benefits issues occur at 5 year, 100,000 miles at end of warranty. Please note they report in their surveys of 95% of vehicles to 95,000 miles. Costly to keep, costly to maintain, avoid RAM. Follow Up note in resubmittal. Since posting this review I'm getting nuisance warranty review calls from different numbers from all over the country. On average three per day. I don't plan to buy another RAM product and gave them a chance first to deal with product short comings. I strongly advise from my experience AVOID RAM.

My Ram Rocks!
By George Bryant

2012 Ram 1500 Quad Cab ST 4dr Quad Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 6A)

I purchased my 2012 Dodge RAM 1500 in February of 2017 with 70000 miles on it. It is an ST trim level but it was optioned with the 5.7 Liter HEMI. This was not presented as an option for this review. I can only surmise that since my truck was an import from Canada at one point prior to my purchase, that perhaps the HEMI option on the ST is only available on units destined for Canada. Not sure. However, I love, love, love the HEMI! It has all the power of rabid wild tiger on steroids and cocaine, and it growls with an equivalent ferocity under hard acceleration. Even with the amazing amount of ample sound dampening material in this truck, you can still hear the roar of that V8, let me assure you. Yet despite it's raw power, under more muted driving, it is as civilized and tame as a small purring kitten. It has the civilized ride of a Cadillac too. Like I previously stated the sound dampening material must have been amply applied in this truck. On the freeway you can have a quiet conversation in a whisper, and you can hear it very clearly. Very little wind noise as well. The ride is smooth, with an amazing and uncanny ability to absorb potholes and other road bumps, in such a manner that it is barely a discernible bounce in the cabin. The materials in the cabin are plain, not a lot of glitzy finishes and the use of plastic is ample, but it doesn't bother me at all. Fuel economy is definitely a sore spot, I am averaging around 15 mile per gallon. I was hoping to get around 17 to 18 at least, but I do a lot of city driving, and the HEMI is too much fun to drive it in a more reasonable manner. If I was a little lighter on the accelerator, I am sure I could easily attain these averages. I really haven't had the chance to tow with it yet, but if my experience with the HEMI is any indication, I don't think any amount of moderate towing would be an issue. I have had a Ford in the past, and I have had a GMC as well. Neither hold a candle to the fun factor, practicality, or reliability I have experienced with this truck thus far. In fact my GMC was a money pit, I invested so much money in that truck that I do not think GM will find me as a return customer any time soon. My Ford was plain, and didn't wow or impress. Granted it was much older, but even with its age, I would have expected a little more refinement, albeit not to the extent my much newer Dodge Ram has. In short. I love this truck. I had an option of either the RAM or a Nissan Titan. Once I experienced the HEMI, the Dodge won hands down. Also, I am nostalgic. My grandfather had a really nice 1992 Dodge Ram with the Cummins Turbo Diesel. He bought it new. My father has also always been a Dodge fan. He had both a 1952 and a 1956 Dodge Truck. The latter was a custom built shop truck. I have fond memories of all of them. I love getting in my truck and even in 2012, they have that same Dodge emblem front and center on the dash. The font and format of that lettering has not changed in 60 years. I am proud to follow my father and my grandfather in purchasing a Dodge!

Serious Safety Issues
By Collin Sears

2012 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT 4dr Quad Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 6A)

I have owned my RAM 1500 for 6 months, and it only has 115,000 miles on it. The truck will randomly die and lose all steering, brakes, etc. while driving, regardless if it's city or interstate driving. This is one of the scariest things as a driver, and is a serious safety issue. I knew the key fob design was faulty and the ignition switch was bad, just like on the 2010 Chrysler vans. I contacted RAM headquarters about this issue, and they did nothing for me, saying my case and request were denied. Instead, I was slapped with an $800 charge to replace the malfunctioning ignition switch and key fob. I informed them that if any sort of injury happens to me or somebody else due to this issue, legal action will be taken.