Used 1999 Porsche 911 Coupe Consumer Reviews - 16 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Porsche 911 Coupe Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 911 model:

Best used Porsche value going.
By steve barnhorst

1999 Porsche 911 Coupe Carrera 2dr Coupe

After 12 years of owning my Porsche and adding about 42k miles I'd have to say this car has been more reliable than all my other vehicles. If you want to own a Porsche, the 996 is quite a bargain. I never get tired of driving my 19 year old Porsche 911. I am the third owner. Many repairs and routine maintenance is easily accomplished by myself.

It is a sweet machine
By riverrock

1999 Porsche 911 Coupe Carrera 2dr Coupe

No problem to date. The car is fun to drive, and it is a true everyday performance car.

handling and performance

Be careful, the engines are not reliable
By bnewport

1999 Porsche 911 Coupe Carrera 4 2dr Coupe AWD

I bought my car in 2003 just as the original warranty ran out. It had 17000 miles, cost 45k and I bought a 2.5k extended warranty. It was lucky I did. I used the car daily, summer and winter. I also did maybe 12 PCA drivers education events in the car. The car's engine was the main issue. It would check engine at high steady RPMs with a misfire code. The dealer changed the lifters (4k) but the car had the same issue afterwards and the dealer then changed the computer (2k). The CEL remained. The car later had an engine failure where the cylinder wall failed. It was new engine time. 13.5k from the dealer with a 2 year warranty. The tiptronic transmission also failed and cost 10k to replace.

When it worked, I loved the car. Engine noise, handling, brakes, awesome.

GT3 quality engine. The M96 engines are just not reliable.

Exotic and Drivability!
By Dr. W T

1999 Porsche 911 Coupe Carrera 2dr Coupe

Owned similar cars and brands, but NEVER liked a car more than this one. It has the best combination of a daily driver, exotic car, looks, and best of all reliability. It's looks are ageless. I got more compliments on this one than any other cars I owned (though the classic Benz came close). The best thing is it leaves me with a great smile every time I drive it.

Looks, performance, and marvelous flat-six growl.Trouble free... much less maintenance than a Italian comparable which can cost an arm and a leg for every major services.

Cup holder would be nice. Get rid of the cassete tape holder. Wastes a lot of space.

Sports car standard!
By XCAP

1999 Porsche 911 Coupe Carrera 4 2dr Coupe AWD

For performance, comfort, reliability, looks and fun this car has no peer! I've never owned an auto so enjoyable to drive. And so stable in really awful driving conditions!

Tight, communicative steering.

I'd recommend better interior materials, for example, the "sports" seats seem to have been covered with less than premium leather.