Used 2003 Pontiac Vibe Consumer Reviews - 347 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Pontiac Vibe

View reviews for a specific Vibe model:

It's a...car
By Ryan

2003 Pontiac Vibe Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

So I went online and tried to find the most reliable car. This came up within my price range. Spent quite a few bucks on this thing...but it's to be expected as a used car. My mistake was buying used, I'm over it. I'll take the payments and not deal w/ the hassle of things breaking. Had to replace the clutch, 1k. Piston issue, 1.4k. Usual used car mx. It's so slow it's crazy. Was driving on hilly roads and people had to get out of my car it was maxed out and SLOWING DOWN. Who is this car for? People who want a car. It sounds simple, but there's a world where you DO have a car and world where you DON'T have one. This puts you in the DO. Is it nice? Nope? Pretty reliable? Yes. Comfortable. Meh. Gas milage. OK. So if you need a cheap car that's puts you in the car world, this is it. If you're looking for a car w/ personality or something that you will enjoy driving, don't do it. It's pretty reliable, it's a Toyota in reality. Still has used car problems though you can't avoid being a 2003.

Nifty, fuel efficient, car. What's not to love?
By murphy2893

2003 Pontiac Vibe Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car with 130,000 miles on it. It's now at 176,000 miles and it's still going strong. Only routine maintenance and I drive the poor thing down what seems like some of the worst "paved" roads that New England has to offer. Amazingly reliable, no problems whatsoever. My favorite part is that I average 30mpg. It's an awesome little car that's bigger on the inside than it looks. Its exterior is also much more stylish than that of its sister car, the Toyota Matrix. It's fun to drive, has a great turning radius, and easy maneuverability. If I had to complain, I'd say the dashboard isn't my favorite set-up (it's sectioned off), it can be a little noisy at higher speeds, and the acceleration can lag a bit. But honestly, that was a tough list to come up with. The only reason I won't have it soon is because I'm giving it to my sister so that she can I have a car. I wish they still made them, I'd buy another in a heartbeat. I love this car!

How To Get Toyota Performance in A GM Product, Better Styling & All on a Solid Frame
By zoezmom

2003 Pontiac Vibe GT Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I bought this for my 6'3" husband to commute from MD to D.C., brand new in 2003 - Trying to figure out how to please a guy, who drove a Camaro for years, but, who only believes in paying for GTO (Gas, Tires & Oil) & is a bad owner (I take care of scheduling all reg. maintenance on our cars), I knew that this would be a perfect choice. Lowest Cost of Ownership, ever! A $1K Ox Sensor, Cat Converter & Exhaust was needed by 150K Miles & just dropped her off for her first Clutch & Full Assembly & 2nd-Ever Tune-up with an Odometer Reading of 241K Miles, which will be $1500-$1600. My Mechanic stated that it has a Supra Engine & I have to tell you, it handles like an Dream Fast, Fun, Smooth & Solid

6-speed transmission = Overall better handling on curvy, treacherous back roads & superior acceleration for merging into the insane traffic, that encompasses MD, DC & N.VA. Solid Frame - Not A Unibody - Won't fold up like an accordian in a crash. Converts to SUV - All the seats including the front passenger seat - fold down - I have moved furniture in this car - provides alot more cargo room, than it appears.

The only improvement needed would be better lumbar support in the driver's seat for long commutes; otherwise, absolutely perfect!

Gets the job done!
By th3fr4nchi5e

2003 Pontiac Vibe AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Bought my Vibe for $200 as a Winter beater about 2 years ago from a gentleman who definitely did not car for the car. A $50 flywheel, $300 in winter tires and alot of TLC and it was back in action. Car has ran great since and is a blast to drive. Not fast by any means but the little 4 banger screams up top and handles pretty well. Its excellent in the snow on fresh winter tires and so easy to play around in without losing control. Got the car with 91k miles, now is nearing 110k. Just the initial stuff and regular maintenance and not other expenses yet! (knock on wood) Gets around 30 mpg on the highway and low-mid 20s in the city. If you need a fun point A to point B car, buy a Vibe!

Fuel Economy, durability, reliability, winter handling, plenty of room for a 6 footer in front and back. Good sized cargo space, excellent with back seats folded down. Excellent Visibility.

A little under powered for a hot-hatch, passenger compartment is not the quietest and wind is felt strongly through the steering wheel. (poor aerodynamics.)

Not bad but not what I expected.
By 93pontiacga

2003 Pontiac Vibe GT Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Being a Toyota, I thought I could get at least 250k miles out of it before any major repairs. They say about cars nickle and diming you after they got older. This car never did that, it just slammed me with a book. I replaced the cat once, which was under warranty. At 188k, I replaced the clutch. Great so far. It has 219k on it now and it just cost me almost as much to fix as the car is worth. Needless to say, I most likely wont get another car with a Toyota engine in it.

Horsepower,6 speed manual, looks and interior space.