Used 1996 Pontiac Sunfire Consumer Reviews - 38 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Pontiac Sunfire Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sunfire model:

Owned for 18 years, 261,000 miles,still love it
By Kathleen Robb

1996 Pontiac Sunfire GT 2dr Coupe

As long as you change the oil every 3,000 miles and keep it maintained, it will be the most reliable car you ever had. Sporty and quick, handles extremely well on icy roads as long as you know how to drive with common sense. Very precise steering, handles extremely well in sudden maneuvers as long as the driver can. I have owned this car for 18 years and plan to drive it for 18 more. It is the most reliable car I have ever owned. I would recommend using only AC Delco brand or GM approved/stock parts when replacing anything. Trust me, if it says AC Delco, they mean it and it is worth it. I also only use premium unleaded gasoline everytime I fill up.

A Tank (kinda)
By canada2015

1996 Pontiac Sunfire GT 2dr Coupe

We purchased a 1996 sunfire coupe black with the 4 speed automatic in 2010. The car was nothing special but for 3 years it withstood a 45 km commute five days a week for 3 years. Then it withstood a year of intense new driver city driving. It was rotting out, the exhaust broke off so we sounded like the god of thunder for a year and a half and it was GUTLESS, You had to nearly floor it in the last year of its life. We got it with 220 000kms and when the fuel pump finally went at 305 000kms we scrapped it. Overall it was fine. The transmission had been rebuilt prior to us buying the car and in 80 000kms it had four oil changes within four years. Really not to much to complain about.

Good car, good gas mileage.
By angellynne

1996 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Coupe

I have had this car for 4 months+ now, and it's a good car. When we got it, the brake system was all messed up by some fake mechanic and "couldn't be fixed." Took about 3 days and a new ABS module to fix it. It's my everyday car, and gets 30mpg, sometimes more. I'm not sure if it has any mods or anything on it.
If you have someone in the passenger seat or a large cup in the cup holder, good luck shifting into 5th gear. The interior is rather small. The seats are okay but I wish they had an adjustable height. I think I'm just spoiled from my last two cars (upper-class sedans). This one has manual windows, locks, etc, the AC doesn't even work because the fuse is missing, but its a great car.

Mileage, seat shape, reliable.

Funky shape on the outside probably provides some wind resistance. Inside room could be used more efficiently.

96 sunfire died a few times still running
By shawn beauman

1996 Pontiac Sunfire SE 4dr Sedan

i bought this car a month ago from my uncle he works on cars all the time he is not a mechanic but he is just as good as one. anyways the 1st day i got this car it died on me it would not start but the lights and the radio still worked (weird) and it had plenty of gas (half a tank) in it so i took it to cole muffler and they charged me about $400 just for a new starter and a new battery i got ripped off don't go to cole muffler they are (expensive) i only paid $850 for the car itself but i had to pay! $400 to get it running again and a week later it died on me again but after having it towed to cole muffler (again) it started without having any repairs done on it it has been over 2 weeks now

i like the way the headlights look and i like the way it takes off quick for a 2.2 liter 4 cylinder engine.

i hate the one single cup holder where is my passenger in the front supposed to put their drink? and i hate the fact there is no power windows and no power locks and i really hate the horn you can hardly hear it thats (dangerous) in traffic i want to get a louder horn soon.

I Love Muffie
By peanut

1996 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Coupe

My Sunfire will be 14 years old in June. Has 175,000 miles. I love my Muffie, a name given to her because the muffler rattles. This little noise and squeaking dashboard don't bother me. Muffie still has original exhaust and muffler! Other than brakes and tires,only things I've had to have replaced are fuel pump and AC condenser. She just started showing a little rust two years ago. This car has the best speed and pickup of any car I've ever had. I love the the stereo system. My goal is to make it to 200,000 miles. Wheel wells are getting rusty. I hope they hold up. Muffie still looks stylish for being almost 14. I don't feel like I'm driving around in an old, ugly car.

Pickup and go; stereo; heating and cooling system; sunroof.

Would like to be able to open the trunk from the inside. Also, I seem to be able to get more items through the driver's side door than through the trunk.