Used 1999 Pontiac Montana Minivan Consumer Reviews

Used Montana for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...6

Pros
Cons

Why not??

jdb1601, 08/21/2012

I bought this van 2 years ago with intentions of using it as a beater, Well this van now has 140,000 miles on it and i have drove it the last 40,000 miles (20,000 a year) heck with only one oil change. It is more reliable than any other car i have owned. I read others reviews but come on seriously people usually only write a review when they have problems. I would absolutely buy another at the drop of a hat!

Should have listened to Edmunds!

K White, 09/01/2008

Bought this van second hand, with 153,000 km. Since then, I replaced water pump,spark plugs, wheel bearing, rocker panels, head gasket, intake gasket, thermostat. Also, roof leaks, needs front and rear struts, rear windshield wiper doesn't work, abs light is on, air bag light comes on and off. Front end vibrates. Get about 500 km to a tank. Needs a transmission part, up shifts and down shifts hard.

12 years and still running

cpa0217, 08/31/2011

I bought my Montana new 12 years ago. It currently has 172,000 miles on it. Overall, I have been very happy with it, but I have had a couple of moments. I've had to replace the intake gasket twice - clearly an issue with this vehicle! Everything else was a result of age & normal wear & tear.

Should have know better!!

J.L., 05/13/2009

Bought new since it was first minivan with VHS entertainment system. Overall was fun to drive but had several major mechanical problems. Had to replace intake gasket twice so far - 1st time at 24k and 2nd at 60k, needed major transmission rebuilt at 56k at $2500 cost. Just right now the AC went out. Cupholders next to seat were useless - didn't hold anything and spilled coffe often. We will probably get rid of it now since we are getting afraid we will get stuck. If reliability would be better, would have been great experience - this is the reason GM is going out of business.

Great Van -few problems

mare, 06/29/2010

I love my van. Had trouble with intake gasket at 75,000 replace for under $500. Routine maintenance and fuel pump. Rides well and comfortable. I drive my van to work and on long trips with extended family. We have put carrier on top and loaded it full. It is still running strong. Could not ask for a better minivan.

Lots of Miles

Kirk, 08/10/2008

My van has 281,000 miles on it. The major problem with them is related to antifreeze. Everything that has cost me money to fix was antifreeze related. I had to replace parts that wore out like struts, steering components and such. I use it as a cargo van daily loaded down with 1500 pounds of weight daily and carry a ladder on top. I get about 17 mpg. When I drive it empty I still get 24mpg. The body is still in good shape, I just had to replace the door hinge because I open the door way too many times. The v6 is still has a lot of torque with all those miles. At 250k it finally got a hole in the leather seats, not to bad for a work truck.

Great Vehicle for Family

andy, 02/16/2008

I bought the vehicle brand new, I do not have any complaint about the product. Great, reliable, dependable, comfortable van. I'm going to purchase one more of it soon. No other vehicle beats it.

Best Minivan- Pontiac Montana

pjk, 12/19/2007

re: true cost to own. 9 years I would like to submit my true cost to own a 1999 Pontiac Montana I sold recently to buy my new Buick. Total repair cost for 9 years. $82 Two rear stop lights... price $12 One tie rod end ... price $50 first part to fail 8.5 years old. 75K miles Charge A/C ..... price $20 one can of refrigerant. total $82 The rest of repairs were two sets of tires two sets of brake shoes oil changes every 3K Thats it. Van bought new $17k plus tax. Van sold 9 years later $5100 $11900 total depreciation $1322 depreciation per year. This Van was driven 95% in the Pgh area .. salt in winter potholes,hills, average trip was about 3 miles. It still looked like new no rust

Pleased with my Montana

Carol Kincaid, 04/28/2002

No problem with my Montana. Of course, we always have had the regular maintenance performed and that is the only thing it has required.

still love it

Michigan consumer, 05/05/2002

I test drove many vans, but wanted one with the entertainment TV package & was thrilled when I found this Montana. It looks great & compared to the other vans out there this was the nicest, most luxurious, best features. I have had it in the shop several times, rear speakers that crackled, some engine leaks, power window motor, catalytic converter and a power door recall. Pontiac was great about fixing these things for free, even after manufactures warrenty was expired. I purchased this van with 35000 miles already on it, and now am nearly to 50000, and am very happy with it for the price. Nothing else in the price range compared with the Montana for style.

12345...6